Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    23714608.jpg

Ryan53957

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    I carry my ruger LCP loaded and chambered (it does not have a safety) but the trigger pull is ridiculously long however I will not cary my S&W M&P 40 chambered because it has a "trigger safety" but no over ruling manual safety. I will however carry the S&W if I have it holstered in my galco leather holster that I feel gives ample trigger coverage.

In my opinion it comes down to, to each is their own. You have to know your gun and learn how well it works with your given situation. Of course I would always error on the side of caution because in a pinch (or even when your not in a pinch) your useless if your shooting yourself vs the intended target.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I carry my ruger LCP loaded and chambered (it does not have a safety) but the trigger pull is ridiculously long however I will not cary my S&W M&P 40 chambered because it has a "trigger safety" but no over ruling manual safety. I will however carry the S&W if I have it holstered in my galco leather holster that I feel gives ample trigger coverage.

Well then I sure hope you don't bother carrying the MP40 at all as it's really silly/pointless to carry any gun with no round in the chamber.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Once again I will say it....Trigger Disipline..You must train yourself not to put your finger, elbow, ear, nose or anything else inside that trigger guard unless you want to kill something...
    I'm in this corner. I've been carrying something since I was about 8 or 9. Most everything hasn't had a safety , or was carried cocked and locked, Commander,1911, The 6906's etc, were all carried safety off, in DA mode. After a real nasty SHTF moment, I switched to Glock for the consistent trigger pull.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Always one in the chamber.
    1911 is cocked and locked.
    S&W 908 chambered w/ safety off. The d/a first shot with long pull is safety enough for me.
    I have a few new acquisitions that I need to become familiar with. After I do I have no problems carrying with one in the pipe on either of those. One is a revolver the other is a P3AT.
    If you do not have one in the chamber, you might as well practice your aim, as in throwing the pistol at the target. You will have a better chance that way.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    When open carrying for a job that I used to do I always felt that the safety on my Beretta 96 served to MAYBE give me an extra second if someone else got their hand on my weapon in a crowded situation.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I CC a Taurus 24/7 G2, and it has a first pull double action as well as a safety AND decocker. My problem with this, is that I am missing the tip of my trigger finger, and cannot reach the trigger on DA without holding it at an awkward, uncomfortable angle. So I carry mine SA with the safety engaged. I use a cheap leather holster (which is going bye-bye whenever I can afford and have the time to get a good kydex holster), which covers the trigger and it's worked very well for me so far.

bulldog451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I used to carry my Beretta 92 with the hammer down and the safety off. I was completely comfortable with that method of carry. Besides, being an old 1911 fan, I could never quite get used to thunbing the safety UP! I would never carry it with the hammer cocked, though, without the safety engaged.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I CC a Taurus 24/7 G2, and it has a first pull double action as well as a safety AND decocker. My problem with this, is that I am missing the tip of my trigger finger, and cannot reach the trigger on DA without holding it at an awkward, uncomfortable angle. So I carry mine SA with the safety engaged. I use a cheap leather holster (which is going bye-bye whenever I can afford and have the time to get a good kydex holster), which covers the trigger and it's worked very well for me so far.

I would learn to use my other hand or get a different carry gun if I were you.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I began this back when I owned a Shield and I never had an issue with it or gave it a second thought. I just picked up a nice S&W 6906 that I am going to carry and although overall I love the gun, I feel like the enormous first double action trigger pull is safety enough to just ignore the manual one. Anybody agree with me and do the same? I'm obviously not advocating carrying a cocked and locked 1911 this way. Any thoughts/insight?

Personally, I was never comfortable with my M&P for exactly that reason. No thumb safety. I dearly love shooting the gun...but i didn't like carrying it with one in the chamber and no safety.

My S&W 1911, i carry cocked and locked....all the time.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    So I began this back when I owned a Shield and I never had an issue with it or gave it a second thought. I just picked up a nice S&W 6906 that I am going to carry and although overall I love the gun, I feel like the enormous first double action trigger pull is safety enough to just ignore the manual one. Anybody agree with me and do the same? I'm obviously not advocating carrying a cocked and locked 1911 this way. Any thoughts/insight?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well it depends on the situation when to work the manual safety of a long gun. If it is at the ready, it is ok that the safety is off. There's a story I heard about a team doing room clearing training and one guy using an MP5SD didn't put his weapon on safe and threw it over his shoulder. The thing caught on his hooligan bar and emptied the whole mag, injuring his teammates.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    There is something unsafe about leaving your rifle hanging like that with the safety off. A holstered handgun with the manual safety off is still safe because while it is holstered, nothing can possibly get into the trigger guard and pull on it. The only thing you have to be aware of is make sure nothing is in the way when you draw the pistol. For a rifle hanging like that with the safety off, there is a possibility that something can get into the trigger guard and yank on the trigger. The whole my finger is my safety is true but what I said before also applies. Your mind is the safety to your weapon.

Top Bottom