• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Ok, I have family in KY and I am going down there soon to see my grandpa who doesn't have much time left. I see that they honor our permit and handguns aren't allowed in the usual places. I assume that the CCDW would mean it needs to be concealed. Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. :dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You can open carry in KY.
    To conceal legally, you must have a recognized license such as your IN LTCH.

Your choice.:yesway:

ETA more cowbell!

:cowbell:

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You can OC or CC.. Same law as over here.

Actually not quite the same, you can OC in Kentucky no permit needed. Only need a permit to conceal. Car carry it must be openly worn or in the glove box (center console doesn't count must be in the dash) without a permit, with permit concealed however you like.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Actually not quite the same, you can OC in Kentucky no permit needed. Only need a permit to conceal. Car carry it must be openly worn or in the glove box (center console doesn't count must be in the dash) without a permit, with permit concealed however you like.

Im aware.. The OP has a permit so I didnt feel the need to tell him the laws as if he did not have a permit.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:
    • Police station or sheriff's office.
    • Detention facility, prison or jail.
    • Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    • County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    • Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    • General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    • Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    • Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    • Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    • Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    • Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:
    • Police station or sheriff's office.
    • Detention facility, prison or jail.
    • Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    • County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    • Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    • General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    • Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    • Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    • Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    • Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    • Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

My question is about Openly Carrying in any of those locations. I know that I do some work on occasion at the State Police Headquarters in Frankfort, KY and they have a sign that states that concealed carry is unlawful, and cites relevant KRS, BUT this mentions nothing about open carry. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Thanks,

INGunGuy

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Now i've been told by coworkers that have taken the CCW class in the past year that you are required if pulled over to notify the officer of a legally carried firearm in the vehicle. Indiana differs from this unless asked.

Jerry C

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I"m almost positive that Ky. law is the same as Ind. law as to notifying officer you're carrying, unless it just changed recently, which I don't think it has.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Now i've been told by coworkers that have taken the CCW class in the past year that you are required if pulled over to notify the officer of a legally carried firearm in the vehicle. Indiana differs from this unless asked.

I've heard that the KY CCW class is supposed/required to teach to notify an officer, but it is not required to do so by law. :dunno:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    handgunlaw.us has links to the state AGs and fairly thorough review of state laws.
    In my experience most people there are gun friendly. You shouldn't have any problem.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    This is why I love INGO. I have to drive to Owensboro tomorrow, and back. I will be OC'ing. Just a quick pickup of a relative and return, so I don't feel the need to CC. Not that it matters anyways. Seems they have their heads screwed on straight down there.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    Ok, I have family in KY and I am going down there soon to see my grandpa who doesn't have much time left. I see that they honor our permit and handguns aren't allowed in the usual places. I assume that the CCDW would mean it needs to be concealed. Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. :dunno:
    ky is kinda cool for residents you have to get a permit to cc but can oc without

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    This is why I love INGO. I have to drive to Owensboro tomorrow, and back. I will be OC'ing. Just a quick pickup of a relative and return, so I don't feel the need to CC. Not that it matters anyways. Seems they have their heads screwed on straight down there.

I don't know about all that but they are gun friendly! :D

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    You can open carry in KY.
    To conceal legally, you must have a recognized license such as your IN LTCH.

Your choice.:yesway:

ETA more cowbell!

:cowbell:

I understand what is being said, but for clarification,

do I have to be a resident of KY to open carry with out any kind of license?

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    Open carry is legal in ky without a permit. I believe the only difference is you cant carry in a bar in ky, but with a permit carrying in a bar will just get you a fine instead of charges. if i remember things right from my ccw class there.

Top Bottom