• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My wife has an overnight trip planned for us down to Kentucky for the Labor Day weekend. I checked and KY appears to honors Indiana's license. From what I have found, the "rules" seem to be similar except that carrying is prohibited in places that sell alcohol by the drink and post-secondary institutions can apparently prohibit carry in a way that has legal force.

Anything else in particular I need to know about Kentucky's carry laws, or any place in particular to get current info on said laws?

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    My wife has an overnight trip planned for us down to Kentucky for the Labor Day weekend. I checked and KY appears to honors Indiana's license. From what I have found, the "rules" seem to be similar except that carrying is prohibited in places that sell alcohol by the drink and post-secondary institutions can apparently prohibit carry in a way that has legal force.

Anything else in particular I need to know about Kentucky's carry laws, or any place in particular to get current info on said laws?

Nothing other than that. As a matter of fact, Kentucky does NOT require a LTCH or in Kentucky a Concealed Carry permit to carry open. You can strap your piece to your belt and as long as it is in plain view you dont have to have any kind of license. A great resource is the following website:

Handgunlaw.us

INGunGuy

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    +1 on not needing an LTCH to carry OPEN. If you have an indiana LTCH, kentucky honors it as concealed.

Kentucky is a pretty laid back and "allowing" state for the most part.

Not sure on the laws about "must notify" or carrying into alcohol establishments.. everyone else has more info on that than I know and I'm sure everyone else has already looked it up...

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Its never been a duty to notify. Almost every instructor from Bluegrass Indoor to the new Velocity range in crestwood think that its a good idea. But it has never been a law.

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on
    the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;
    EveryBar in Louisville that I have been to which is almost everyone due to the college days.lol Serves food!!!! I can not think of one that doesn't:laugh:
    Again I carry in every place I go. I have never had an issue within the past 8 years.

Infact if you look it over KY is an Open carry state were you dodn't even have to have a license to carry in the open. However I wouldn't just for the same reason Half of the IMPD think its not OK to carry here in Indiana

on another note the handgunlaw website is junk. Its to broad of an anwser. you can find the real laws out by just looking up Carry permit KY on google. Or type in ky gun laws

J

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One part of their State Police FAQ, listing places carry is prohibited is:

7. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.

If I understand the above, I can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as I stay clear of the "Bar" area.

Correct?

Top Bottom