• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yes, but more and more those groups have been targeting and slandering the NRA as though they motivate us to want to buy guns.

True. But there remains a quantum leap between targeting and slandering, and murder. Put it this way, if some lunatic were to pick the NRA convention to open fire on people, his decision would equate to a suicide mission. Hopefully that would be a deterrent even to a crazy man.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I got an email from the NRA asking for volunteers to either 1)sell merchandise 2)work at the air rifle range (instructor creds required) 3)be an "examiner". What an examiner is, wasn't explained. At first I thought the convention might require the NRA to run a "cold" event like the 1500 for insurance reasons, but I guess not after reading the article.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Little far fetched but what would keep a whack job from joining the NRA, going to the convention and then discharging a weapon? Headline would read NRA member discharges weapon during convention. Anti's would have a field day. Guns are bad, think of the children, gun owners are irresponsible, common sense................... It would not be difficult for somebody politically motivated to do something stupid.

The more I think about it the NRA should just pass out guns as everyone walks in the door.

I like it! Excuse me sir/ma'am, are you armed? Would you like a semi-auto or a revolver? Colt Peacemaker?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I got an email from the NRA asking for volunteers to either 1)sell merchandise 2)work at the air rifle range (instructor creds required) 3)be an "examiner". What an examiner is, wasn't explained. At first I thought the convention might require the NRA to run a "cold" event like the 1500 for insurance reasons, but I guess not after reading the article.

I think the guns at the exhibits have to be unloaded.
    I think examiners have to examine the guns (for the exhibits) as they are brought in, and spot checks throughout the day.
    But, that's just what I read into it.
    You'd have to email or ask someone.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I think the guns at the exhibits have to be unloaded.
    I think examiners have to examine the guns (for the exhibits) as they are brought in, and spot checks throughout the day.
    But, that's just what I read into it.
    You'd have to email or ask someone.

I believe that the display firearms bust be incapable of firing. I think the examiners verify that the firing pins have been removed or they have been made otherwise inoperable.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    True. But there remains a quantum leap between targeting and slandering, and murder. Put it this way, if some lunatic were to pick the NRA convention to open fire on people, his decision would equate to a suicide mission. Hopefully that would be a deterrent even to a crazy man.

For a person who drives their decision making from logic an facts, yes that's a big leap. Is it so for a demographic of society which is motivated in action and decision based on emotional response, as we know they are more often than not?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. You will be able to carry at the Convention Center at the NRA Annual Meeting 2014.

2. We would not be discussing this but for the disaster at Charlotte where state law prohibited carry at the venue there. MANY members were upset.

Indianapolis is NOT Charlotte.

3. I have been to several NRA Annual meetings where carry was not prohibited by act of government. There were no incidents, just like there was no incident at dinner or the movies last night.

I did see some Cletii trying holsters with their carry guns in Pittsburgh. They were told to stop by the booth personnel and complied.

4. If you wish to volunteer . . . shameless plug here . . . please PM me. I need firearms examiners--ensuring that no DISPLAY firearms have firing pins. You get assigned a grid and get to see part of the show early.

I can offer you no money, booze or women but I can give you a hearty handshake and a slap on the shoulder.:D

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Always follow the Golden rules when handling guns at any gun show as well. I have seen where some rabid antigun people long ago would go to a gun show with a pocket full of ammo intending to load a few guns at the show to see if an unsuspecting person would dry fire it without checking it. Makes for good headlines for the organizations they work for like HCI / Brady Bunch. I have also been to a show where the people who rented the tables were responsible for verifying their guns were unloaded, one I picked up was not. I unloaded it, and called the guy over. I slid him a handful of ammo across the table and told him I just pulled this out of your rifle on the table. He simply said "darn that son of mine, he must have taken this gun hunting or shooting". No personal responsibility that he had not checked each gun he placed on the table. For many reasons, always check the chamber for empty, and never point it at anything you don't want to destroy. Gun shows don't get a pass. That said, I look forward to the NRA convention, I hope I can make this one.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Always follow the Golden rules when handling guns at any gun show as well. I have seen where some rabid antigun people long ago would go to a gun show with a pocket full of ammo intending to load a few guns at the show to see if an unsuspecting person would dry fire it without checking it. Makes for good headlines for the organizations they work for like HCI / Brady Bunch. I have also been to a show where the people who rented the tables were responsible for verifying their guns were unloaded, one I picked up was not. I unloaded it, and called the guy over. I slid him a handful of ammo across the table and told him I just pulled this out of your rifle on the table. He simply said "darn that son of mine, he must have taken this gun hunting or shooting". No personal responsibility that he had not checked each gun he placed on the table. For many reasons, always check the chamber for empty, and never point it at anything you don't want to destroy. Gun shows don't get a pass. That said, I look forward to the NRA convention, I hope I can make this one.

If some anti were caught doing that they should be thrown in jail for reckless endangerment at the very least. I'm sure the LEOs and Lawyers on INGO could come up with some other charges that could be pressed as well.

Can you point to any cases where this occurred and the person was caught?

DrWin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is good news. I was wondering if such a thing would be allowed-- I figured that the convention center would try to prevent it. As long as we're already an NRA member, we can just show up to the meeting/exhibits without registering, right?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    as a first time annual meeting goer, what should I participate in? i'm thinking about simply going to walk around the booths/etc. and will probably buy some tix to the stand and fight rally.. when/where is the actual big(main) meeting?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I guess I should have highlited it, but what jumped out at me was the statement that " NRA members who have a valid license to carry can carry at the convention". (Paraphrased)

Does this mean that those that aren't members can't, or are they assuming everyone there is a member ?

I went to the convention in St. Louis 2 years ago.
    The only place we were not allowed to carry was in the hall that held the secret service charges, read presidential candidates.
    All other venues were no problem.

The NRA advertises that the convention is free to all NRA members, regardless of their membership level.
    All non-members are charged $20 or $25 at the door and offered an NRA annual membership in return for the price of admission.
    I don't think they would force a membership on anyone, but the price is the same.

I'm sure they will immediately add those new members to the ranks when they advertise their membership in the upcoming elections.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    as a first time annual meeting goer, what should I participate in?

Please swing by the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association booth; it will likely be the best booth there, but I am biased.:D

Originally Posted by DrWin This is good news. I was wondering if such a thing would be allowed-- I figured that the convention center would try to prevent it. As long as we're already an NRA member, we can just show up to the meeting/exhibits without registering, right?

Sure, but pre-registration will save you some time at the door.

If you are a GE then they send it to you a month ahead of time.

Top Bottom