• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll wave back from the far right window, about half way up.

Seems most of the time I'm up there I'm at our spot near the Great Lakes Cafe. It's in an old missile bunker on the Federal property. Not too far further east of where they removed that OLD RR trestle - if you have any idea where that is.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The Steelyard is a great place to watch a game. Been there several times. Never felt unsafe; always had a great time.

GO RAILCATS!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    gary-works_slideshow.jpg

I'll wave back from the far right window, about half way up.
    I'd wave, but you would probably be napping.

The Steelyard is a great place to watch a game. Been there several times. Never felt unsafe; always had a great time.

GO RAILCATS!
    :+1:
    I remember when they 1st opened up. Safest place in the world was on game day. Officers everywhere (some on segways), security all over the stadium, helicopters lighting up the parking areas, & security patrolling in each parking area.
    Now, not so much overkill on security, but security is not hard to find.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Seems most of the time I'm up there I'm at our spot near the Great Lakes Cafe. It's in an old missile bunker on the Federal property. Not too far further east of where they removed that OLD RR trestle - if you have any idea where that is.

I think it was a tank gun testing place. But... I could be wrong. Would be nice to hear it's story though. If the building could talk.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think it was a tank gun testing place. But... I could be wrong. Would be nice to hear it's story though. If the building could talk.

Part of an old Nike missile network. There are places like that scattered all over. Pretty cool, actually. I think the building at our location was a fuel storage facility. Probably not an actual launcher site.

At least I THINK that's what it is. This particular area doesn't seem to be covered by any of the site descriptions in the links I'm including. Apparently the National Lakeshore HQ is an old personnel building. I bet they had stuff strung out quite a way - so I'm gonna keep on believing what I believe. :D

Nike Missile Chicago-Gary Defense Area Illinois

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_missile_sites#Illinois_&_Northwest_Indiana

Last edited:
    Top Bottom