• ...and so much more!
  • diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    NEW EVENT!

https://www.reveresriders.org/event/carbine-2-one-day-seelyville-in/?

Carbine 2 Overview​

Prerequisites: Basic Rifle, Carbine 1 (or similar class) AND Basic Pistol

Firearm & Gear Requirements:
    Any safe semi-automatic carbine can be used (AR, AK, G3, M1A, etc.). You will need to carry FOUR (4) magazines while on the line. Two point sling is preferred. GI sling not recommended.

Any safe semi-automatic compact or full size pistol in 9mm or larger may be used. (Glock 17, 19, etc.) NO subcompact or micro pistols. You will need to carry a minimum of TWO (2) magazines. If using a single stack pistol (1911, etc.) you will need sufficient mags to keep up with the class.

Shooters must have a sling on their carbine and a non-collapsing, belt or paddle, outside the waistband holster for their handgun. NO Serpa holsters, cross draw, inside the waistband, ankle, chest or shoulder holsters, etc.

Estimated Ammunition Required:
    500 carbine
    150 pistol
    Magazine loader recommended

Required Equipment:

• hearing protection
    • eye protection
    • lunch (we’ll be staying on the range during lunch break)
    • water and something to replace electrolytes
    • snacks
    Optional Equipment:

• a way to take notes
    • carbine/pistol/optic manual(s)
    • hat with a brim (to deflect flying hot brass)
    • knee/elbow pads (we may shoot from kneeling and other positions)
    • folding chair
    • small tool kit / cleaning kit
    Clinic Overview: Attendees will experience shooting in multiple firing positions at varying distances and will learn modern defensive shooting skills. All firing in this course will be within 200 yards with a focus on the close quarters environment. You will get a workout with all the skills needed to run the carbine from contact to 200 yards. The focus is on defensive shooting. Carbine 2 will incorporate transitioning to secondary weapons systems.

This class is moderately physically demanding. We will be on our feet much of the day, moving between various locations on the range. We will be shooting from different positions throughout the day.

Attendees should arrive for registration at 7:30 am. Class starts promptly at 8:00!

Topics of instruction will include the following:​

• Rules for safe gun handling & range rules
    • Carbine parts and operation & ammunition
    • Tailoring the ABCs of firing the shot to the close quarters environment
    • Firing Positions: Standing/Kneeling/Prone, Over Barricade, Supported/Unsupported, Field-expedient Rests, non-standard positions
    • Situational Awareness and Scanning
    • Magazine Changes (Administrative and Tactical Reloads)
    • Controlled Pairs
    • Recoil Management
    • Clearing Malfunctions/Stoppages
    • Movement
    • Firing under Stress
    • Use of the sling, rests, barricades and other field-expedient methods to support shooting stability
    • Introduction to Field Shooting and using the carbine to make hits at long distance
    • Gear/Kit setup and optimization
    • Transition to secondary weapons systems
    • Tourniquet use and one-handed operation

History Presentation: Gen. von Steubon​

Hear what happened when a professional Prussian soldier showed up at Valley Forge to whip the Colonial volunteers into shape and train them to military standards – many of which survive to this day!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That was a hot one! I'd like to thank all of my RR instructor buddies, students + my girlfriend (for leaving the straw hat in my car because I forgot mine). :cool:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    2020-12-23.png

Excellent group of shooters & instructors made for a superb day of training!

Started the day with a quick warmup & proficiency check on pistol and rifle. (Manipulate those safety levers & remember to account for height over bore!)

Practiced speed and precision from 5-50y proving that we could make our Hits Count. Add a healthy layer of physical activity and see how it affects your fundamentals.

Worked a series of drills to reinforce reloads, then transitions. Our fastest reload was slower than the slowest transition to pistol. So keep going until you're empty or behind cover.

Incorporated non-standard positions with the typical VTAC boards (well mostly typical - Thanks Doc!). Brad was even kind enough to bring his old whip for vehicle positions as well. Try shooting under or crouching behind the engine block of a Power Wheel Raptor for cover and those VTAC boards begin to look easy.

Multiple breaks for re-hydration and heat management were needed and appreciated. I think most of us were pushing our limits pretty closely, but not one threw in the towel. God bless the person who installed that frost-proof spigot at the edge of the range!

Managed some malfunction drills... but these were advanced malfunction drills. After receiving a simulated "wound" from enemy fire, it's IFAK time. While you apply a tourniquet, "blood" is leakin' out of you and all over. Your strong hand is now useless (wrapped). Now FIXIT and get back to work! Some of 'em clear easy, but most of 'em don't. Charlie is advancing, and he don't care about your arm...

I think there's a memory hole in here and I'm forgetting something...

Introduced some Move Shoot Communicate drills with a battle buddy. Break from contact with covering fire. Transition to pistol when your rifle runs dry. Retreat to cover while suppressing, while your buddy gets set to provide covering fire for your movement. Reload from cover, get set & repeat.

Finished up with The Qualifer. Long range, short range, reloads, movement, no-shoots & obstructed targets, non-standard positions. Make your Hits Count and be Well Regulated.

Interested in reinforcing some of those freshly exercised neural pathways?
    For the low price of $20 Atlanta Conservation Club is hosting a Carbine match on Labor Day September 2nd
    https://practiscore.com/acc-carbine-match-9-2-2024/register
    It's very unlikely that you'll have as much up & down as we did (most of the shots will be standing), and certainly under 150 rounds. Home in time for the afternoon barbecue.

If you're jealous that you missed all the fun, do I have news for you!
    Start planning now and get your rifle zeroed, mags loaded, carriers sized and practice those reloads. Do yourself a favor and start the exercises, stretching & yoga now.

Carbine 1 and/or Carbine 2 just outside Evansville, IN November 23-24

Last edited:

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    That was indeed an excellent write-up. My big takeaway from this shoot is:
    1 - always remember to ask for water breaks
    2 - red dots aren't easy to use past 25 yards.

Definitely pondering #2 currently.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    That was indeed an excellent write-up. My big takeaway from this shoot is:
    1 - always remember to ask for water breaks
    2 - red dots aren't easy to use past 25 yards.

Definitely pondering #2 currently.
    Mike - with the shooting we did, IMO a red dot was easier to use than a 1x-8x LVPO for most of the day. I had originally grabbed my LVPO but when I saw everyone else was using a red dot, I swapped to that before we started. Shame on me for not knowing the drop on my red dot for the 100yd shot (wish I had my 1x-8x for the end qualifier).

DOPE notebook is on order and going to spend some time recording drop at different distances once this heat passes...

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Not arguing, but w/ a 25 yard zero, anything was going to involve mental math at 100 yards. And my riser's WAY tall over bore, so ??????

Whatever I do, I need to figure it out and get it down cold BEFORE Nov 23rd.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Not arguing, but w/ a 25 yard zero, anything was going to involve mental math at 100 yards. And my riser's WAY tall over bore, so ??????

Whatever I do, I need to figure it out and get it down cold BEFORE Nov 23rd.
    Report back with your height over bore (center-line of optic down to center-line of barrel) and I bet we can figure out the adjustments.

Certainly re-zeroing at 50/200 is probably going to be a closer fit, but if you're limited to a 25y range you can still shift your dot and verify that change at 25.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Report back with your height over bore (center-line of optic down to center-line of barrel) and I bet we can figure out the adjustments.

Certainly re-zeroing at 50/200 is probably going to be a closer fit, but if you're limited to a 25y range you can still shift your dot and verify that change at 25.
    Whaaaaaat?!? You want to use gazintas to figure this out? Not just spin dials and shoot ammo downrange?

This is crazy talk!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Red dots are money for this clinic, just need to understand where to hold.

Revere's Riders has a clinic on Aug. 24th at Red Brush Range near Evansville that will conceptualize bullet rise, drop, near/far zero, etc. I highly recommend shooting that one!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom