• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I will try to find out for you but the state doesnt make it easy to get it back... they dont want to give it up...but in fact he is telling you the truth..

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I dont think you will get it back seeing how the purchase date is from December.. im telling you guys the rules for dealers is totally different from Walmart. .

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    Did the person already file the title in their name?? If so you wont get it back.? It would be like buying a car from an individual then having it titled and going back to the license branch asking for the sales tax back.. wont happen..has something to do with usage tax I think..

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yessir, sales tax gets returned.

And BTW, never pay a restocking fee, return fee, or any other of that baloney. In fact, don't buy from any scam-artist that says they have a 'restocking fee'.

If the price is good enough, sometimes it's worth risking the restocking fee. It's their store; they make the rules. There actually is a cost to accepting returns, and I don't expect the store to eat it. But this does not relate to Jedi's car situ.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Did the person already file the title in their name?? If so you wont get it back.? It would be like buying a car from an individual then having it titled and going back to the license branch asking for the sales tax back.. wont happen..has something to do with usage tax I think..

The reason he returned the truck was because it did NOT pass the emission test so he could not get a license plate for it.
    He only had temp plates on it and after it failed the emission test he took it back to the dealer and asked to return the truck.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    There doesn't seem to be a cooling off period for cars, though I thought I was told I had one when I bought my car. It could have been a dealer thing.DFI: How to Buy a Used Car
    "Dealers are not required by law to give used car buyers a three-day right to cancel. The right to return the car in a few days for a refund exists only if the dealer grants this privilege to buyers. Dealers may describe the right to cancel as a "cooling-off" period, a money-back guarantee, or a "no questions asked" return policy. Before you purchase from a dealer, ask about the dealer's return policy, get it in writing and read it carefully."

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There doesn't seem to be a cooling off period for cars, though I thought I was told I had one when I bought my car. It could have been a dealer thing.DFI: How to Buy a Used Car
    "Dealers are not required by law to give used car buyers a three-day right to cancel. The right to return the car in a few days for a refund exists only if the dealer grants this privilege to buyers. Dealers may describe the right to cancel as a "cooling-off" period, a money-back guarantee, or a "no questions asked" return policy. Before you purchase from a dealer, ask about the dealer's return policy, get it in writing and read it carefully."

Well from all accounts I need to call the Ind. Dept of Revenue - sales tax dept of monday to find out what forms he will have to fill out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Update on this wonderful case. :rolleyes:
    Form GA-110L Claim for Refund as well as POA-1 Power of Attorney was submitted to the state on April 25, 2014 along with
    - truck sales contract (has VIN number of vehicle)
    - receipts of deposit
    - letter explaining what occurred and that the sale tax was not returned to buyer
    - business card of sales associate from car dealership who handled this transaction

Today the guy brought me a letter that the post office delivered yesterday (19 AUG) dates 08 AUG from the state saying they are denying the claim as the supporting documents do not provide enough proof for a claim. The letter goes on to say that he has 60 days from 08 AUG to request an administrative hearing if he disagrees with the denial and to visit DOR: Home on how to file for an administrative hearing.

A search on DOR: Home of administrative hearings comes up with nothing! :faint: Not sure if there is a form to fill out or not. I had the guy take the letter back to the car dealership and have them write a letter on their letterhead saying he returned the truck and they gave him back his deposit MINUS the sales tax (which they claim to have submitted to the state).

Plan on having him sent that letter along with all the other docs he send the first time and a new letter explaining the additional documents he has for them to reconsider his case and also that the 2nd letter should be considered his "request for administrative hearing" should the new evidence not be enough for his claim since if their is a form to fill out we don't know what it is.

I hhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttteeeeeee dealing with .gov agencies!
    I hope this new evidence is enough but wonder if the car dealership ever really did submit the sales tax or just pocketed it.

Anyone ever deal with this?
    :dunno:

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yessir, sales tax gets returned.

And BTW, never pay a restocking fee, return fee, or any other of that baloney. In fact, don't buy from any scam-artist that says they have a 'restocking fee'.

You're wrong. It cost's money to process orders, pull orders, ship & then return everyting to stock and repeating the process in reverse. The only customers I do not charge a restocking fee is my best customers. Most of my vendors charge a 20% restocking fee, and I'm not eating that. :twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Last update
    The guy finally got a check from the State of Indiana for the sales tax on the car.
    We had to have the car dealership write a letter on their letterhead saying they had send the money to the State and when and submitted that as the additional proof and also requested a hearing if the additional proof was not enough.
    That info was submitted back in AUG 2014. 5 months later they finally replied with good news. :faint:

Top Bottom