• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    Yeah I figured Friendship would have some. But it is a little far for me. Would love to check the place out at some point. I'll probably have to give knob creek a call.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Spent the afternoon at NMLRA event yesterday in Friendship:rockwoot:

Just :rockwoot:

The amory there is great. Those guys are the best.:yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A thought just occured to me as I was viewing the never ending arguement threads

I had a cap and ball revolver I wanted to get worked on while I was down there so I just strapped on the holster and pistol to carry it. I wasn't even sure at the time if there was any one there who would work on them. Turns out the smith in the armory fixe up it all up completely in a couple hours and I carried it home with me.

Any way soon as I stepped on the grounds the security people were nearly running, and the ticket guy says, "Is that black powder?" I said, yes I want to get it worked on, it's not even loaded.

But I noticed people all day carrying modern firearms I know were loaded. Kind of made me want to load it up after I got it back.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I picked up 1000 #11 pecusion caps while I was there. / $44

Got a couple hundred Wonder Wads too / $5 per 100

Those were the lowest prices I saw there on those two items.

NMLRA T shirts were $10 and $11. I thought that was pretty fair so I got a few of those.

Park at the American Legion lot straight across the road and parking is $5 but you get a ticket for access to all areas with that.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just came in from shooting this.

44BP.jpg

Very satisfied with the work on this I got done at Friendship. Wish I'd gotton that armorer's name because he sure did right by me.

Not exactly historically accurate but right there is how I carry mine when ever I wear it. Those belts are comfortable and easy to use with good buckles right out of the tool aisle at any hardware or lumber store. Wear it through the woods and never need to worry about what the rocks, stickers, or weather is doing to the belt or leather. Amry surplus pouch on the other side with plenty of room for about 20 extra shots, ball, caps, powder meaure, wads, grease, and a shop rag. I use a 35mm film cannister for 18 lead balls and another half full of criscoe and 18 wonder wads on top of that. It's even got a little bitty pocket for a pair of ear plugs.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Bass Pro shop has a selection of cap and ball revolvers as well as accessories. I've not been impressed by many of their prices; however, it would give you an opportunity to browse models without having to wait until knob creek or another gun show.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    You might want to check out muzzle loading forum.com They have a ton of info there. All traditional m/l, and they have classifieds for cap and ball, flinters, period correct accessories and edged weapons. I saw an 1860 Colt replica for sale there a couple of weeks ago.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was popping walnuts off a tree branch with this one this evening. It's not dead on yet but it wan't to tuff at about 15-20 yards off hand. I know it still shoots a little low on out but I thought that was pretty good.

I'm still making a little adjustment very slowly as you can't go back the other way with fixed sights very easy.

In a couple days I'll do full cylinder accuracy check for the record.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    I have been seriously considering buying a pair of 1851 navys in .36cal. That way I could go Wild bill style and for around 500 bucks for two I dont think that is to bad.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    You don't need cloth patches on top of the ball on these. I use crisco.

I don't know of any thing motor oil would be good for on one.

Dump the powder in the cylinder. Set a ball on it. Push it in. It should scrape off a ring of lead. That should really seal it but I put a dab of crisco on top to be sure. Then I push the crisco down as far as I can with my little finger and wipe off the extra back in to a film canister. This leaves just a ring of grease you can see most of the top of the lead ball with just a ring of grease around where the ball meets the cylinder wall. Turn the cylinder and repeat.

Squeezee a cap together just a little and force it on the nipple. Repeat for the next five shots. Set the hammer down in the notch between the cylinders. Put it in the holster and snap the strap. Put all your possibles back in the bag on your pistol belt.

Get a nasty mean look on your face.

Now yer set for 6 or 7 bad guys.

Question-
    So......its not,

Pour measured powder into cylinder
    wad
    ball
    then crisco
    then cap
    shoot, repeat.

Just got my first and this is what I've read how. Also using .451 balls in my 58' Rem. Thanks for any help

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Question-
    So......its not,

Pour measured powder into cylinder
    wad
    ball
    then crisco
    then cap
    shoot, repeat.

Just got my first and this is what I've read how. Also using .451 balls in my 58' Rem. Thanks for any help

Dump the powder in the cylinder.

You can use a wad/wonder wad here if you want and then you don't need grease on top of the ball.

Set a ball on it. (I'm using .451 in my Remington Army too but I'm pouring .454 to use in both once these are used up)

Push it in.

It should scrape off a ring of lead.

That should really seal it but I put a dab of crisco on top to be sure. Then I push the crisco down as far as I can with my little finger and wipe off the extra back in to a film canister. This leaves just a ring of grease you can see most of the top of the lead ball with just a ring of grease around where the ball meets the cylinder wall. You don't need the grease thing at all if you put a Wonder wad under the ball.

Turn the cylinder and repeat.

Squeezee a cap together just a little and force it on the nipple.

Repeat for the next five shots.

Set the hammer down in the notch between the cylinders.

Put it in the holster and snap the strap.

Put all your possibles back in the bag on your pistol belt.

If caps are falling off when you shoot it then squeeze them a little before cap the nipples. Loaded but uncapped nipples is one source of chain fires. I've never had it happen though.

Really about the worst thing you can have happen is a squib leaving a ball in the barrel and the next one will blow the front sight right off the gun. The barrel will look like it has a big dog knot in it. Never happened to me but I saw the gun later after it happened to some one else. Never hurt any one other than messing their pants and ruining the gun.

Selecting, Shooting, & Caring For The Cap & Ball Revolver

Top Bottom