• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    most people don't fire enough rounds through them to really even break them in. I know guys that will own a gun for years and put 200-300 rounds through it tops. If the price is right, I'm all over it.

This is most certainly the case for many people. Remember since 2008 you have tons of people that jumped into the gun world blindly mostly out of fear. People that would have never considered owning a gun are now flocking to gun stores. These are not gun enthusiasts, not people that are going to train and shoot regularly. Lots of good lightly used guns being turned over.

agreed. im not going to say your the only one, but your defintally in the minority.

The classifieds are very active, that alone proves you are in the minority.

As to the prices. Some of it is ignorance, some of it is greed and some of it is just the fools game. For me its playing a new game. No matter what price you put on a gun some jack hole is going to try to low ball you. When I list something I always list it for more than I think its worth and more than what I want for it. That way the jack holes can have it, talking me into a deal. ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used guns, esp those with custom work, typically lose a higher % of what was put into them.

Can be a very good deal........if what was done is what you'd have had done.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    In either case, just buy'em, shoot'em, trade'em and have fun with a hobby that many will never understand.

I agree if they look safe and fun to shoot buy it. I've bought guns from great people, that I would be poorer for never having met. I like to hear the stories about where they have been. Now that said,I would never buy a gun from Andy219 I know where it might have been, and if he hasn't been able to clean the smell off of it I'm not gunna try.:):

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Unless you have $ to burn - Mackey your missing out - there's to many quality used guns at respectable prices to pass up - you should be able to tell by a through examination the difference between a 2000rnd gun and a 10000rnd gun - if you can not tell the condition of the gun take it to a respectable gunsmith for a exam before you buy - it doesn't have to say new or antique to mean quality - have had too many to count and can count on one had the amount that said new when I purchused - extremely happy with my collection

Mikuhl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Indy
    Used is the way to go if you can find what you want. I bought a used Springfield TRP at a local shop. Had custom sights and vz grips, not a scratch on it.
    In the back of the manual the previous owner had logged rounds fired at 375.

Good used deals are definitely out there.

dwickstrom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have bought and traded weapons never had a problem most of which sat in a collection fired once or twice then cleaned and put back in a safe. Lots of great deals to be had on used guns.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've bought several used guns and have had good experiences with all.

I'm also one of those that bought a used gun and "haven't fired it".....sort of. It became part of a 3-gun trade. I've had it about a year now and put no more than 20 rounds through it. I cleaned it, ran a couple of mags through it, cleaned it again, and put it in the safe. I haven't touched it since and I will probably be selling it someday. Not a big deal and round count has never mattered much to me.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You are not allone Sir. I dont own any guns that I did not buy new.

Ive bought 3 used guns in my life. I had problems with 2 of them and sold the third for more money than I paid for it before I even had the chance to shoot it.

Ive loaned my friends and family money and taken one (or more) of thier prized pieces for collateral, but that is different as I never shoot them and they have in all cases, except one, come back to collect thier guns.

I understand Completely is my point. I just dont like buying used guns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Round count cracks me up.

Kinda like an odometer..........total says nothing about how it was driven or where.

50,000 miles on the highway cruising or 50 miles of ripping up trails offroad ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Given my penchant for old guns, just about all of mine are/were used. To me, guns, old outboard motors, and some old lawn/garden equipment have a different set of "rules" than say, used cars. Many can be 40, 50 or more years old with no appreciable degradation in function. Of course as has been mentioned, it sometimes depends upon the care and use they've seen over their lifetime. I also think that to a degree, the phrase, "They just don't make 'em like they used to" really is true for some guns.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have ZERO problems buying used firearms. In fact, I almost prefer to do it that way (especially if I find them used at the LGS).

The one rule I do have for used purchases is for those purchased from private individuals. That rule is that the particular firearm be a range/hunting/SHTF purchase only. I will NOT purchase a used firearm from an individual with the intent to carry it - and that is based solely on the possibility of using a stolen firearm in a self-defense scenario, which would make it a difficult case to *appear* law abiding to the authorities and jury.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I have ZERO problems buying used firearms. In fact, I almost prefer to do it that way (especially if I find them used at the LGS).

The one rule I do have for used purchases is for those purchased from private individuals. That rule is that the particular firearm be a range/hunting/SHTF purchase only. I will NOT purchase a used firearm from an individual with the intent to carry it - and that is based solely on the possibility of using a stolen firearm in a self-defense scenario, which would make it a difficult case to *appear* law abiding to the authorities and jury.

yep always good to carry something completely legal and hopefully has ur name on the paper work.

everything else tho...... :D

jake

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Nothing wrong with buying a used gun! I have bought lots of them!! all have functioned perfectly! It would take allot to wear one out! so yep I think your alone!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a Winchester single shot .22 rifle last month that was made sometime in the 1950's.......round count, who knows. But the bore looked pristine.....and it was incredibly nice shape. I took it out that afternoon to shoot it, and even with my lousy eyes, at 25 yards open sites, I could shoot the x out of the center of the target.

I don't hesitate to buy used guns, depending upon their condition.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I had just as soon buy a used gun over a new one... price considering. Outside of the military I have never yet seen a worn out firearm. I am even talking about Colts made in the 1800's. I have purchased a couple of rifles that the owners said were shot out. No problem...have the barrel pulled, re-threaded and re-chambered. I assume there are some worn out firearms out there. But my guess is they are far and few between. Neglect? Now that is a different story. But you should be able to notice that right away.

mlake12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    same here is the price is right........why not? Granted I will ONLY buy used from a licensed dealer most times, there are obviously exceptions

Top Bottom