Can you make an AOW shotgun (ala Serbu / KEG) from a sold new pistol grip shotgun??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I was just thinking to myself about this, so I figured I would ask.

If you buy a brand new pistol grip only shotgun, like one of the Mossberg JICs, can you make that into a AOW like a Serbu Super Shorty or KEG? (obviously getting approved NFA forms)

Thanks,
    Clay

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well aware of the $200 vs. $5.

I think the kicker on the conversion is the pump action/pistol grip part is pretty pricey.

oh well, something to consider I guess. I could do all of the conversion myself with out much issue, but would have about the same cost as a factory built one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think the kicker on the conversion is the pump action/pistol grip part is pretty pricey.

Sure is, if you want to use a fancy metal folding one like Serbu and Safety Harbor do. But it wouldn't (theoretically) be all that difficult to fabricate a shortened carrier and attach a section of rail to the bottom, so you could bolt on whatever vertical grip you wanted. Alternatively, you could make your AOW a bit longer (basically lop the barrel off even with the end of the mag tube) and just use a standard pump arm or Tac Star vertical grip forearm, a la the "Witness Protection" 870s.

000015_01.JPG

wawp870-aow-right-1-hi.jpg

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    Class 7/2 can build one, register it, then transfer the weapon as an AOW. Have already gotten the OK to buy receivers directly from Remington; would need a trigger group, barrel, pistol grip, etc. to make them. Not sure if the project would be worth the time. Have had about a dozen interested parties.

Top Bottom