• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Umm... Jefferson's on the $2.00. Andrew Jackson's on the $20.00.

He never said he was in the percentage that got it right.:laugh:

Maybe he was pointing out that 50% of them wouldn't know who was on the $20 and they would guess Jefferson? Who knows, the wording is a little confusing.

THANK YOU! I knew this, and was just wondering how long it would take somebody to catch it. A little longer than I thought, but I know not a lot of people were reading this thread...

Jefferson didn't even want the Constitution. He was just fine with the Articles of Confederation.

Some argue that the Bill of Rights actually hurts liberty, because statists can point to it and only give you those rights and say that the BoR is the source of those rights.

Notice how no one ever talks about the 9th Amendment, the most important one, because it states that the Bill of Rights is NOT an exhaustive list.

Most Republicans and Democrats hate the 9th Amendment.

Correct about Jefferson. His biggest dislike about the Constitution was the fact that it did not lay out individuals' rights, hence the Bill of Rights came. I really like the 9th Amendment, but I just can't say which Amendment in the Bill of Rights is the most important, I believe they are all equally so.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Some argue that the Bill of Rights actually hurts liberty, because statists can point to it and only give you those rights and say that the BoR is the source of those rights.

Yes, one of my arguments with the right side of the aisle.

I think that it would have been worse without the BOR.

I like the bill that is currently going nowhere, I forget its title and who sponsored it, but it would require anything passed by Congress to cite the place in the Constitution that authorized them to make that law. We'd go a long way with that provision.

An important point that bears repeating often: As citizens, we may do anything not specifically prohibited. Government however, may ONLY do that which specifically AUTHORIZED.

Last edited:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I like the bill that is currently going nowhere, I forget its title and who sponsered it, but it would require anything passed by Congress to cite the place in the Constitution that authorized them to make that law. We'd go a long way with that provision.

Now that would be amazing! I wonder how long it would take them to make an Amendment that would make it useless though...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    dross;768043 I think that it would have been worse without the BOR. [/QUOTE said:
    Just look at how well it worked for England for confirmation.

I like the bill that is currently going nowhere, I forget its title and who sponsored it, but it would require anything passed by Congress to cite the place in the Constitution that authorized them to make that law. We'd go a long way with that provision.

Commerce clause, general welfare clause, whatever it takes.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Just look at how well it worked for England for confirmation.

Commerce clause, general welfare clause, whatever it takes.

True, but I think it would be a good symbolic gesture and might help when the cases became before the Supreme Court.

It would be interesting to see the reactions of the people who wrote and signed the document to find out that they had inserted a general welfare clause that would eventually be cited, and that the commerce clause really meant, "and BTW, forget the rest of the document, this clause is the equivalent of crossing your fingers behind your back."

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    True, but I think it would be a good symbolic gesture and might help when the cases became before the Supreme Court.

It would be interesting to see the reactions of the people who wrote and signed the document to find out that they had inserted a general welfare clause that would eventually be cited, and that the commerce clause really meant, "and BTW, forget the rest of the document, this clause is the equivalent of crossing your fingers behind your back."

Aye, they way Congress interprets it today you don't even need the Constitution.

dlr0329

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Clay City, IN
    My daughter is 13 and she couldn't tell you the significance of Thomas Jefferson. I asked her if she knew who Thomas Edison or Benjamin Franklin was and all I got was blank stare.

The changes in our children's history classes as compared to the ones we remember are impossible to fathom. They have no sense of what true freedom is and how we became the "free" country.

Many kids now believe that the fourth of July is just a barbeque and beer day with fireworks near bedtime.

I've always felt that what the schools fail to teach, it is our role as parents to pass on our knowledge. But this is getting ridiculous.

Top Bottom