Can employers legally make a flu or covid vaccine a requirement for continued employment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Or any other optional and ongoing vaccine. I'm sure the answer is "It depends" so I'm after what it might depend on. :) I'm thinking more about current employees where no such requirement was in effect when they were hired and not working in a medical or health care setting. I also suspect it will be tried by many until challenged in the courts.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I suspect that you are right...the "challenged in court" part.

First of all, if there is no employment contract (CBA or otherwise) and the employee is "at will", then the fact that it was not a requirement when hired is irrelevant. Conditions of employment, within the law, can be changed at any time and the employee can decide whether to stay or not.

Generally speaking, I believe that an employer could require an at will employee to be vaccinated as a condition of employment provided there is not a legitimate medical (or religious, possibly philosophical...but probably not) reason to not be vaccinated. Most employers outside healthcare do not require vaccinations, but that's not to say that they could not.

What makes this situation more interesting is the "Emergency Use Authorization." Let's be clear- the vaccines are not "experimental" as that term is used in the regulations. However, they were approved with a truncated process. Hence- "emergency". This could make for an interesting argument against mandatory vaccination as it could be argued that there is a heightened risk...at least until more time goes by. At this point, millions of people have received the vaccination.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yes . I believe the healthcare industry make it a condition of employment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Almost forgot this:

The EEOC is of the opinion that employers can require vaccinations in most circumstances, but that is only federal regulations. There is still state law and other federal law to contend with.

https://www.eeoc.gov/wysk/what-you-...and-ada-rehabilitation-act-and-other-eeo-laws

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    IIRC the govt said the Covid vaccine CAN'T be made mandatory, and yes, because of the EUA. Not to say that emplyers could just say take it or quit and a refusal is considered a voluntary termination. Seen some variation of that more than once in my time, when the DOL gets involved usually but not always the company wins.The flu vaccine, OTOH, ...

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If an employee objects to the vaccine because of the EUA status, but takes it in order to avoid losing their job how liable would the employer be for "forcing" the employee to take the vaccine despite their objections due to the limited testing?

I will not be surprised if one or more of these vaccines have some bad side effects. It is hard enough to get this stuff right with a patient approach, but these were rushed. Color me skeptical.

Edit: I see a market for fake vaccination certificates.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    And how are you get said vaccine if it happens to not be available to you yet?

And what would be the point for a company to require such since the vaccine (so far as we know) has NOT been shown to prevent the vaccinated from spreading?

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Not if it's not FDA approved. The vaccines being offered now are under a "emergency approval". I'm a DOD employee, and it's optional for us. And the military I work with it's the same way, it's not mandatory, but encouraged.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    Not if it's not FDA approved. The vaccines being offered now are under a "emergency approval". I'm a DOD employee, and it's optional for us. And the military I work with it's the same way, it's not mandatory, but encouraged.
    I agree with this statement.
    I think for most employers it will be encouraged but won't be mandatory.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is the correct answer, in so far as it received "emergency approval". Because of that status it cannot be made a mandatory condition of employment. Now, if they continue down the road or start another formula and it goes through the standard process by next year it could become mandatory.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Don't mean to derail but it appears the initial question has been answered. I have another if anyone knows.

Can your health insurance require you to get the vaccine or risk being dropped or any future covid related expenses not covered? I've got a feeling that if they cannot currently, they'll be able to soon.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side

Just showing more in agreement with already answered response of encouragement and not mandate.

However it doesn't specifically state anything about Insurance providers, so that is a valid concern/question phylodog.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Almost forgot this:

The EEOC is of the opinion that employers can require vaccinations in most circumstances, but that is only federal regulations. There is still state law and other federal law to contend with.

https://www.eeoc.gov/wysk/what-you-...and-ada-rehabilitation-act-and-other-eeo-laws
    the EOOC said its a go that employers can fire an individual for not getting vaccinated.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    i work in health care and it's not mandatory, but encouraged. As of right now . but who's to say as this goes on ?

This is to correct answer. You can't tell at this point what your employer might choose to do in the future. I also work in healthcare and currently it's not mandatory, but I have the feeling it won't stay that way long. We already are required to get a flu shot every year and I don't see this being that different eventually. I'm hoping as IJ stated, it'll be after a thoroughly vetted vaccine is developed. I work from home and will try my best to not have to take it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yes . I believe the healthcare industry make it a condition of employment.

The "normal" flu vaccine is a condition of employment at my hospital and throughout it's system (14 hospitals). The Kungflu vaccine isn't mandatory. Yet. They have several exemptions available for the normal flu so they'll no doubt honor similar exemptions for the kungflu. In speaking to the doctor yesterday that released me from my quarantine he confirmed that 85% of the known positives will experience no to mild symptoms only.

What a waste of resources.

Top Bottom