• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm not trying to start a flame/brand war - I'm just honestly curious. What's the fascination some people have with Glocks? Is it just a respect/appreciation for pure function over form? I mean, to me, they just have no sense of "style" and look, I don't know, very plain/generic. Sure, a gun is a tool, I know, but still... I like a certain look in a gun.

I'm looking to add another quality 9mm ... and I'm trying to understand the "Glock thing."

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    This will quickly turn into one of those threads....I'm sure of it.

Anyways, for me, I like Glocks for their simplicity and ruggedness. I also like other firearms brands, for different reasons. Appearance isn't high on my list of priorities, while for others it is.

But really, why does it matter? To each his own; find what works best for you, what you like, and go with it!

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I think just the opposite, I think they have their own awesome style and look, very sleak, black, dark. Simple, functional, customizable, and light weight. I have shout hundreds of reloaded rounds through them and have never had any issues.

If you want something that looks futuristic or "fancy" I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of "pretty" guns out there.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i love them. i like the grip, the supply of parts/mags. I do NOT like the factory sights, but i put meprolights on both of mine. in terms of aesthetics, i do like them. i actually think the competetion is ugly...XD(m)=ick

also, i like NOT having a manual safety. just draw and go.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    for me it is a purely a reliability thing. I carry a glock most of the time, and shoot one in limited for USPSA, and I have never, NEVER, had a gun related problem. Their beauty is in their simplicity and reliability.
    If you layed out a table full of pistols and told me I had to go into a fight and I can only choose one...Ill choose a Glock everytime, no matter what else you put out there.
    But it is strictly a personal preference thing, many people feel the same way about the 1911 platform...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Lightweight, usually compact (varies with model), reliable, rugged, readily customizable and instantly recognizable. Even my non-gun-toting friends can instantly pick out a Glock in a movie or TV show.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    i love them. i like the grip, the supply of parts/mags. I do NOT like the factory sights, but i put meprolights on both of mine. in terms of aesthetics, i do like them. i actually think the competetion is ugly...XD(m)=ick

also, i like NOT having a manual safety. just draw and go.

I'd have to agree, I think the XD is too futuristic looking or something. Too many lines and prints.

get familiar with one glock, and your familiar with them all, and I also do love the grip. Perfect for my hands. I don't have lady fingers.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    To me a gun is a tool. When I need a hammer, I don't pick the pretty one, I pick the one that works best for the job I want it to do.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    To me a gun is a tool. When I need a hammer, I don't pick the pretty one, I pick the one that works best for the job I want it to do.

Eh, yeah, but you don't see forums for hammer owners and such. ;) Guns are kind of a special tool to most, I think. :)

BTW - is there anyone in Lafayette, or near, that owns a 9mm Glock (of any model) that would be willing to let me try it out at a range?

Last edited by a moderator:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have an utterly reliable 2nd gen 17. It has digested every single round I have put through it, including old handloads, WWII stuff, big wide mouth hollowpoints, never a FTF. It sure aint pretty and not my pick to go plinking with at the range, but would be the 2nd thing I grab if things got nasty (1st is my FAL). It also makes a great traveling companion for my Kel-Tec Sub2000 carbine, same magazines and all that. For pleasure shooting, I love my L-frame S&W, sweet trigger and it is pretty. Somthing about a good old classic revolver makes me happy.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Simplicity of use. (two controls, Trigger & Magazine release)
    Reliability (really, nuff said)
    Compatibility (parts / holsters / accessories are sold practically everywhere.... Try to find a mag carrier for an Heckler and Koch USP Tactical in .45 at 1 pm on a Sunday.)

there are lots of other guns that have one, or two of the above. Very few excel at all three.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm not trying to start a flame/brand war - I'm just honestly curious. What's the fascination some people have with Glocks? Is it just a respect/appreciation for pure function over form? I mean, to me, they just have no sense of "style" and look, I don't know, very plain/generic. Sure, a gun is a tool, I know, but still... I like a certain look in a gun.

I'm looking to add another quality 9mm ... and I'm trying to understand the "Glock thing."
    While simple, I find them to be very good looking. I didn't always think that way, but I've refined my tastes somewhat over the years.

I think the 1911 has the sexiest lines of any handgun made, especially the 1911's that lack lots of markings like Ed Browns or Dan Wessons. It's the one ding I can give to the SA TRP (my favorite shooter) is that it's covered in roll marks, and I don't care for them.

But the Glock is simple and functional, much like the 1911. I find handguns like the Sig P2xx series to be ugly. Too many lines, high bore centers, etc. I think the M&P defines ugliness in modern handguns. Swoopy lines, goofy slide serrations, it looks like a toy out of a Batman movie. :)

The two best looking fighting handguns I can think of are the 1911 first and the Glock second.

But in terms of performance, the Glock is also without a peer in the striker world. The 1911 tops it over all IMHO, but the Glock takes practical functionality to a level above the 1911 and I can shoot the Glock almost as well as a 1911.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    They're simple, reliable, and ugly. I'm a fan of all three aspects. I only have one Glock, but have shot several variations in several different calibers. I'm a Sig guy. I carry a Glock everyday. I'm a Sig guy. It will be a long time before I buy another Glock. I'm a Sig guy. Oh no, sounds like I'm reminding myself...

In truth it's personal preference. I prefer the feel of the P2xx's and the way they shoot over Glock. That being said, The Glock carries well and is utterly reliable. So, now I just pick what I'm going to carry based on whether I want to CC or OC. :D

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Why do people choose Ford over Chevy, Budwieser over Miller, or Glock over Springfield?

Because some things are just better!

Top Bottom