Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I was just kidding about all the gear. :D I'm only bringing a camelback/day pack. I have additional water bottles to be left at the 400 yd line in a very small 6pack sized soft cooler. I guess I could leave my lunch in it.
    Additional ammo/rain gear/range bag/tools are getting left in the car. If I need any of those items, I'm already jacked and in no position to rush.
    I need to keep the weight down so I can run fast enough to catch all those pokemons (and get away from YHJ's jack booting my shiny new smart phone).

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Packed and ready with no surprises.... Yet.
    Will see everyone in the AM for what promises to be a memorable weekend.
    Nigel

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Oh my gawd was it hot! I drank 1.75 gallons of water and still ran out.

Hoping my plantar fasceitis calms down as its sore as hell right now.

Did you know you can still get sunburn thru a long sleeve shirt? That's one of the things I learned today.

Thanks to all for today. Now I'm off to eat some real food...not jerky and granola. See ya at 830.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Oh my gawd was it hot! I drank 1.75 gallons of water and still ran out.

Hoping my plantar fasceitis calms down as its sore as hell right now.

Did you know you can still get sunburn thru a long sleeve shirt? That's one of the things I learned today.

Thanks to all for today. Now I'm off to eat some real food...not jerky and granola. See ya at 830.

It was quite warm, putting it mildly. I had to pull over on the way home to take a leak! See you at 0830 ready to rumble. Rumor has it there will be more prizes curtesy of ALan and AA optics. We are starting at the 500 yard line :)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    hehehe... :D

I was thinking of ya'll today. Trust me, when I was laughing, I was laughing WITH you, not at you. lol!

Few years back, we had mat temperatures of nearly 130 degrees in the afternoon. Sweat management for precision rifle is it's own entire skill set.

-Nate

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    2 liters plus another seven 12 oz bottles. I'm not doing any more math to figure out the gallons involved.
    Thanks RR for hosting and putting on a great event.
    Thanks Alan for the scope giveaways!!! I'm already dreaming p the possibilities with the scope I won!

Great meeting new faces, and seeing old ones! As usual, I learned a lot. Sandwich bags for cell phones (from Slim). I had just the right amount of gear... nothing too heavy, and just what I needed. Cheese Wiz still beats out sunscreen. I made the day without having to apply the spf1000 cheeze whiz to my body.

The bug spray deterred chiggers and ticks. Black flies apparently love eating the stuff lol.

I made it an entire shoot day with getting called out for leaving the safety off, or chamber flag out, etc.. A real milestone for me!

Struggled with cant a bit... adjusting left to right, right to left every stage. Last stint thought I had it dialed in for sure, and strung horizontally. I don't want to chalk it up to heat/discomfort, but I need to work tightening up on my hot summer shooting skills for sure! I know I can do better!

Wish I could be there tomorrow! Take lots of pics for me! Based on the sighter's today, there should be some great shooting tomorrow

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Had a great time to day running the line. Hope I wasn't too hard on you boys. I didn't get to thank you all for being a very safe and courteous group of gentlemen. I wanted tell you all that because it doesn't happen all the time. With the weather we had today, you guys were real troopers. No whining or fussing.

Enjoy your day tomorrow, you guys put in all the hard word today, tomorrow with be the icing on the cake with a double scoop of ice cream to boot.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Fail ... fail ... fail

6+ liters of ice water and 5 Gatorade bottles ... wasn't enough ... couldn't keep up. Stopped 6 rounds short of finishing the day. :(

Last port-a-john break was at lunch. Didn't pee again until 40 minutes after leaving the range ... then I hit every rest area on the way home. Brutal honest assessment / lesson learned ... maybe I'm not as good a shape as I thought and you have to stay ahead of the dehydration curve. I can pin point the wrong turn I made today ... I had to hit the port-a-john three times before lunch so I slowed down my fluid intake a bit. It was game over after that.

BTW ... thanks for your help today, Rayne.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I thought long and hard about both volunteering for and participating in this event. To be brutally honest, in the end I flat pussed out. Reading what I have read so far, that was probably a good call. I haven't checked in with the INGO Fitness Club yet, but I've been hitting it hard. Being truly ready to do something like this next year is a goal to aspire and look forward to.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The heat endurance marathon begins in two hours. I learned yesterday that camelbaks are the way to go, You don't have to stop and dig out a bottle to drink its just right there all the time ready to hydrate.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Day 1 down, day 2 begun.

27897525534_f4cf4812bf_c.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Fail ... fail ... fail

6+ liters of ice water and 5 Gatorade bottles ... wasn't enough ... couldn't keep up. Stopped 6 rounds short of finishing the day. :(

Last port-a-john break was at lunch. Didn't pee again until 40 minutes after leaving the range ... then I hit every rest area on the way home. Brutal honest assessment / lesson learned ... maybe I'm not as good a shape as I thought and you have to stay ahead of the dehydration curve. I can pin point the wrong turn I made today ... I had to hit the port-a-john three times before lunch so I slowed down my fluid intake a bit. It was game over after that.

BTW ... thanks for your help today, Rayne.
    No such thing as failure my friend! What better way to learn something such as this, than amongst friends who are there to help you out?
    My first KD I did, I couldn't hit paper... all day long. I knew I was capable of shooting much better than that, but without being able to track hits on paper, I had ZERO feedback or data to work with. At the time, I thought it was a complete failure. It turned out to be a scope issue (through a lot of testing and shooting when I returned home).
    Without the information I learned that day, I couldn't have properly assessed my scope, nor could I have shot rifleman on my next kd. And I managed all 10 hits at the 400 yd line on that 2nd shoot!
    I owe that to YHJ & Barbie who had the patience to work with me throughout that first 'miserable' KD.

If it's any consolation, I felt it was a good stopping point, as a headache began to kick in as we sat and talked at the end of the day. Not sure I would have been feeling it, if we chose to work back to the 100 yd line. I think I gained, and lost 10lbs in a 24 hr period with all the water I drank, and then sweated out. for me, that's like 8% of my bodyweight!

Rayne you did great. If anything you should have gotten on Nigel even harder! He's trouble with a capital T ;)

I had issues hearing line commands (using plugs, electronic muffs mess with my cheekweld), but I was way down at the end. It'd been helpful having another RO to repeat commands on the line, but for sighters, this was not a major problem & I managed.

It's 10 am. Right now you guys are likely verifying your dopes. I jokingly told Nigel I'd be thinking of him while sipping a beer at the Indian's game today. It'll be true... but I'll be wishing I was on the line with you all, jealous that I can't be there to participate, watch, and learn. :(

Have an awesome day guys

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Thanks again to the whole Revere crew for putting on a great event, and special thanks to Alan for sponsoring the shoot and donating some terrific prizes. Atterbury events never disappoint and this weekend will be a memorable one. One more huge thank you to anyone that shared advice or pointers, the wealth of knowledge held by this group of instructors (and shooters) is astonishing!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Riflemen use their coffee cup from the morning like I did. We don't pull over. ;)
    Did you get your JOHNSON trapped in the coffee cup or pulled over for lewd conduct?
    You were conspicuous by you absence and blue parasol !
    Catch you on the next one.
    Nigel

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Say a little prayer for your compatriot, Captain Caveman. Just got the news from my his wife. They're at the hospital with heat exhaustion.

Little brother is no drama queen. If they're at the hospital its serious.

Top Bottom