• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok, you got me. When I was in the air force it was tech school. Only security police had AIT (advanced infantry training).

I was just giving you a hard time.

Oh well, H... . Why didn't you say you were a zoom? I thought that you had been in the military! :D

(No problem, buddy.)

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Here's the 3rd verse of the Marine Corps Hymn:

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded
    By United States Marines.

Doesn't say anything about the Air Force, Coast Guard and National Guard. Where the heck are those guys going ?? :rockwoot::rockwoot:

BTW thanks for your service and Welcome Home.

Matthew_DC091.jpg

That's my wife with her car on our trip to DC on Father Day. The American Legion Riders of Bloomfield post 196 placed a Wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, was the best vacation she and I have ever been on.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Fixed it for you.

When I went through NCO school many years ago, we - as a class - had to sing all 3 versus of the Marine's Hymn before we left every day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's a good one Rookie!

I will say this, and it's a true statement any of the rest of you can try to argue with me all you want.

The Marine Corps has the most loyal and best Esprit De Corps than any other branch. This includes while they are in or when ETS.

I had the pleasure of watching a few old Devil Dogs sing the [STRIKE]Marine song[/STRIKE] Marine's Hymn Saturday night, I think the oldest was probably 65. Hell I can't sing the Army song...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Anyone who has completed their basic and AIT is a "veteran" (a term not to be equated with "combat veteran").

I understand what the government's definition of veteran is. I just gave my personal definition of it. I don't want or need adoration. The fact that I finished with all my parts is thanks enough. I'm grateful that I didn't have to experience the horrors of war and it is to those who have that I'm grateful.

My dad joined the guard to avoid the draft. The funeral director asked me if I wanted a military burial for him and I said no for 2 reasons. 1, I don't think he would have wanted it and 2, I think it's a slap in the face to those who did go to Viet Nam.

This man here is what being a hero is about to me. He did what he did and kept it a secret. Had his wife not found the paperwork, his family would have never known. He didn't wear this on his sleeve or expect any gratitude. I'm sure if you could ask him, he'd say he did what any other human being would have done.
    This man remained a secret hero for most of his life. [VIDEO]

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I understand what the government's definition of veteran is. I just gave my personal definition of it. I don't want or need adoration. The fact that I finished with all my parts is thanks enough. I'm grateful that I didn't have to experience the horrors of war and it is to those who have that I'm grateful.

My dad joined the guard to avoid the draft. The funeral director asked me if I wanted a military burial for him and I said no for 2 reasons. 1, I don't think he would have wanted it and 2, I think it's a slap in the face to those who did go to Viet Nam.

This man here is what being a hero is about to me. He did what he did and kept it a secret. Had his wife not found the paperwork, his family would have never known. He didn't wear this on his sleeve or expect any gratitude. I'm sure if you could ask him, he'd say he did what any other human being would have done.
    This man remained a secret hero for most of his life. [VIDEO]

Great video,
    On to another point though, you served, and even though it was during peace, you were ready to go to war. There are plenty that served in the cold war and IF/WHEN it broke out, they were ready to fight. That makes them, and you a veteran. Just as every job is important. Not everyone is a trigger puller, but those that arent, they are the ones that get him into position, feed him, pay him, get him intel, protect his/her loved ones so they can concentrate on the mission. As veterans, we are already discriminated against enough by politicians taking our benefits away, need we give them more reasons to? Just like them cutting combat pay, sounds great on the surface, but now troops in actual combat, outside the wire everyday have to justify getting that pay. Was that cut really saving anything much in the budget? NO!!!!!!!! It wasn't, but it is their way of piece mealing us to death.
    Granted, I might not have phrased it the best, I had heard it much better, but this military of ours, takes ALL of us that have served. We all are needed to complete the mission.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Horse hockey. The reserve components (i.e., the Army National Guard and the US Army Reserve) are absolutely part of the US Army, whether serving on Title 10 or on Title 32.

Get your facts straight before poor-mouthing the "Nasty Guard". There are probably a lot of ARNG and USAR soldiers who have spent more time OCONUS than you have. :patriot:[/QUO

True story, I am typing this from OCONUS and I'm with a lot of soldiers that are on deployment number 2 or 3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Would it not be most accurate to say that while the Army has (S)oldiers, the Marines are Marines etc that all who cannot be classified as sailors (and possibly airmen?) are (s)oldiers? Of course that tends to breed confusion, as capitals don't appear in spoken language...

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Would it not be most accurate to say that while the Army has (S)oldiers, the Marines are Marines etc that all who cannot be classified as sailors (and possibly airmen?) are (s)oldiers? Of course that tends to breed confusion, as capitals don't appear in spoken language...

Hmmmm. Not sure I get your drift. The Army has Soldiers, the Marine Corps has Marines, the Navy has Sailors, the Airforce has Airmen, the Coast Guard has Coasties. That covers all the bases, think.

The one generic term which would apply to all would be "service men and women".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Actually to be most accurate, even those classified as sailors and airmen are soldiers. Per Websters.
    a : one engaged in military service and especially in the army b : an enlisted man or woman c : a skilled warrior
    Soldier - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    you served, and even though it was during peace, you were ready to go to war. There are plenty that served in the cold war and IF/WHEN it broke out, they were ready to fight. That makes them, and you a veteran. Just as every job is important. Not everyone is a trigger puller, but those that arent, they are the ones that get him into position, feed him, pay him, get him intel, protect his/her loved ones so they can concentrate on the mission.

Exactly right. In spite of all the traditional inter-branch "ragging", we all had a part to play and all have a right to be proud of our service and of our respective branches. :patriot:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Exactly right. In spite of all the traditional inter-branch "ragging", we all had a part to play and all have a right to be proud of our service and of our respective branches. :patriot:

Agree, it was just part of a speech that was given to us at a Warrior Transitional Unit, when people said that they didn't do much, or that their job wasn't important. Granted, we are all going to rag on each other, but we need to make sure that we dont allow others to rag themselves.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am starting to understand why politicians thank "members of the armed forces" in their speeches.

Top Bottom