Calling all Marine I have a question about the Marines...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I need a marine to clarify something for me!

When I read stuff like "3rd Battalion, 5th Marines" -- or listed like 3/5 -- I understand the "3rd Battalion" part but what is the "5th Marines" part mean? 5th of all the marines there are? 5th of rum?

Thank you for your service and answering a dumb civilian's question!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So that means "3rd Battalion of the 5th Marine division"? Makes sense. the "3" is subordinate to the "5" just like regular math.

Thanks!

No problem.

The marines would've answered by now, but they're still asking their moms what some of the words mean.

:D

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Do what is bigger, a regiment or a battalion? I know I can Google it, but I'd rather engage smart, affable people than pinko-loving Google. :laugh:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Regiments, basically. It is an organizational thing, and can kinda vary by branch. Groups of battalions make a regiment (plus specialized companies, like a HQ). Groups of regiments make a division. But, regiments can be broken out into specialties, and their constituent battalions can have sub-specialties, or complementary roles.

ETA:
    Marine Divisions tend to be pretty self-sufficient, and I think "regiments" are an infantry thing. I think Marine Battalions can exist alongside regiments, organizationally.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    3/5 refers to the Third Battalion of the Fifth Marine Regiment. There are four infantry companies in battalion, three battalions in an infantry regiment and three regiments in a division. The Marine Corps (normally) has three divisions. In the old days, the 1st, 5th and 7th Marines (Marine Regiments) were in the 1st Marine Division, the 2nd, 6th and 8th Marines (Marine Regiments) were in the 2nd Marine Division and the 3rd and 9th Marines (Marine Regiments) were in the 3rd Marine Division. The 4th Marines (Marine Regiment) was the infantry arm of the 1st Marine Brigade. This was old Corps. I retired in 1983 after 22 years. I am not sure of the unit alignments anymore. As added confusion, A, B, C and D companies are in the 1st battalion, E, F, G and H companies are in the 2nd battalion and I, K, L, M companies were in the 3rd battalion. There was no J company as no one wanted to be referred to as Juliet company. The phonetic alphabet applies to company designators.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    3/5 refers to the Third Battalion of the Fifth Marine Regiment. There are four infantry companies in battalion, three battalions in an infantry regiment and three regiments in a division. The Marine Corps (normally) has three divisions. In the old days, the 1st, 5th and 7th Marines (Marine Regiments) were in the 1st Marine Division, the 2nd, 6th and 8th Marines (Marine Regiments) were in the 2nd Marine Division and the 3rd and 9th Marines (Marine Regiments) were in the 3rd Marine Division. The 4th Marines (Marine Regiment) was the infantry arm of the 1st Marine Brigade. This was old Corps. I retired in 1983 after 22 years. I am not sure of the unit alignments anymore. As added confusion, A, B, C and D companies are in the 1st battalion, E, F, G and H companies are in the 2nd battalion and I, K, L, M companies were in the 3rd battalion. There was no J company as no one wanted to be referred to as Juliet company. The phonetic alphabet applies to company designators.

Someone rep the man, I am out for the day!

This isn't R Lee Ermey, is it? ;)

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    No, not Lee. I don't want to leave out the reservists who pay their dues. There is a 4th Marine Division which is the active reserve component of our Corps. Additionally, the 5th Marine Division and the 6th Marine Division (MarDivs) exist in a deactivated status.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm on my phone. Research is difficult.

But I like pictorials.
    Maybe this would help.
    fig-10.jpg.cf.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I did a year with 3/24 Kilo when I wanted to give the reserves a try a few yrs after I EAS'ed from active. Being the only 3531 NCO and one LCPL who had 3 yrs in but no experience I felt bad for the guy and tried to teach him all I knew before saying the reserves sucked.

Top Bottom