• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    .270 thru .308 and all in between actually and excluding wildcat's.

Most bang for the buck, so to speak.

All factors considered, what cartridge, in a bolt gun, offers the best balance in costs of weapon, out of box performance, weight / cost / availability of ammo , etc. Also addressing the consideration of having to pack ammo cans of this caliber along if on the move.

I envision an 800 to 1000 yard capable weapon caliber that blends a flat trajectory, resistance to wind, and devastating results on mammals of all kinds.

I won't go cheap for cheap's sake but let's put the balance at 70% on the utility/effectiveness side and 30% on costs exposure.

Hold the fanboy assertions please, looking for more of a cerebral discussion.

Answering my own question, .338, 7.62/.308, .300, 6 -> 8 mm, .270 and the magnum varieties ? ? ? ?

GO !

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Buddy, that is a HUGE topic. I wish this thread the best, but you've covered so much ground that this may be like the "Every Question on Every Gun Forum" meme.

I am quite verbose form time to time, and can get fairly cerebral in cartridge and rifle discussions, but you've got so many questions behind questions that I don't know where to start, so I'll ask you:

Primarily what kind of work, exactly, do you need the rifle to do?

What are YOUR capabilities?

-Nate

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Do you reload? I can only comment on .308, but with my limited reloading skills, I have no problem hitting torso sized targets out to 750 yards (the longest range I've been able to find). This is with a semi-auto and an 18" barrel. I imagine a 20"+ bolt gun could do much better. Reloading components are easy to find and the Sierra 175 TMK or Hornady 178 AMAX aren't all that spendy either.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    considering cost/availability --> .30-06/308/270/300 Win mag

BUT if you reload, and don't mind less availability on a store shelf....
    then 6.5 creedmoor, .338 Lapua, 7MM SAUM/RUM, 270 weatherby,
    the "lowly" 7mm-08 is a great cartridge as well. .260 is an option also, as is the 6.5 x 284. But 1000 yds on an animal is pushing it for some of the calibers listed here.

If it were me, I'd go with something in the 7mm family or skip up to the .338 Lapua. That's a personal preference (from someone who admittedly does not own any of these calibers)

Do you regularly plan to engage 4-legged (or 2-legged) mammals at over 800 yds? If so, pick any of these calibers and rock it at 500-600 yds, then decide what's next.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Buddy, that is a HUGE topic. I wish this thread the best, but you've covered so much ground that this may be like the "Every Question on Every Gun Forum" meme.

I am quite verbose form time to time, and can get fairly cerebral in cartridge and rifle discussions, but you've got so many questions behind questions that I don't know where to start, so I'll ask you:

Primarily what kind of work, exactly, do you need the rifle to do?

What are YOUR capabilities?

-Nate

The "job" is filling a niche in my collection.

The desire is to accurately reach out and touch my target in a less than desirable socio/economic world.

My capabilities are that of a 58 yr old man with good eyesight and a steady hand having had an extensive relationship with (including military) and love affair with firearms since my youth.

I want an addition to my inventory that is more accurate that I am which means I rise to the occasion of using it accurately by way of practice and learning the platform.

A simple mention of caliber (s) with supporting comment and or comparison is what I'm looking for. Not a Long Range Firearm 501 class.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    For your 70/30 balance I would chose the 300 Winchester Magnum at less than $2 a round or for a little more maybe the 7mm Remington Magnum. Ether round should meet your needs but to really reach out with powerful cartridge the 338 Lapua fits into the 100/0 range.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A round that seldom talked about these days is the 300 H&H. Remington 700s can be bought for under 1000 in this caliber as can some of the magnum length Mausers and the round itself was a long time favorite for 1000 yard competitions. Felt recoil is less than the 300 Win Mag thanks to case design, the long tapered case and gentle shoulder just lends itself to less sharp push back. A fun round that has a great history behind it.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a 300 WBY Mag but I will tell you that the recoil is such that shooting more than 20 rounds at a range visit can lead to bruising. You might want to take recoil into consideration when choosing. Many don't and find that the more recoil the more anticipation which leads to bad habits developed. My 2 cents.

Also the heavier the gun, the better when getting into larger calibers.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The "job" is filling a niche in my collection.

The desire is to accurately reach out and touch my target in a less than desirable socio/economic world.

My capabilities are that of a 58 yr old man with good eyesight and a steady hand having had an extensive relationship with (including military) and love affair with firearms since my youth.

I want an addition to my inventory that is more accurate that I am which means I rise to the occasion of using it accurately by way of practice and learning the platform.

A simple mention of caliber (s) with supporting comment and or comparison is what I'm looking for. Not a Long Range Firearm 501 class.

7.62 x 51, or .308 .....

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    .308 because it would work for at least half of what you want, and do it it halfway well for longer than most in a bad situation.

Jack of some trades, master of NONE.

No class given.

-Nate

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... in a less than desirable socio/economic world...

This makes me think that price and availability are key factors (for either stocking now and/or acquiring later).

Given the caliber/range constraints you laid out, .308, .270, and 30-06 are all popular and widely available given sales and survey data. I'd lean toward the current .mil calibers for scrounging potential. Other than that, it's just splitting hairs.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The .338 Federal is not at all a problem for cost vs. .308 IF you reload, but that being said, I highly doubt it is an effective 1,000 yard round.

Not enough boiler to push the .33 longheavies to good speed. Only doing 2,500 with a .400 BC is not gonna get it done.

-Nate

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I really wanted a 300winmag for the longest time... But I am totally sold on 6.5 Creedmoor! I am wanting one pretty bad!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Lawdsy! I'm my own worst enemy now while trying to keep $'s in mind. Researching .338 Lapua caused uncontrollable drooling and then that segued into reading about .300 Lapua Magnum !

Calmer minds have me seriously focusing on the .270 though as I honestly don't anticipate needing anything beyond its capabilities . . . . today . . . . or until I can justify snagging a .308 . Or a .338 .

Thanks for being a sounding board. Doc says it's better than just having conversations with myself.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I always try to stay with NATO rounds.
    This way you know there's ammo available and at decent prices. (except for this ammo $ BS lately)

Bang for the buck's going to be 308.
    The 30-06 has it's place in history but the 308 has surpassed it by being so versatile through the years. (I still want a B.A.R.)
    You're also not going to beat the distance and accuracy of the 338LM. Screw the fact that it's hard to find decent places to shoot it, just knowing that you could if you wanted to should be enough.

What's the 338LM price? 4-5 bucks a shot now? :dunno:

Two words - Re Load

Cheapest rifles I've seen -
    There are deals every now and then for the Remington 700 Police Model 338LM for around $1500 on GB.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    45-70 if you reload. Range, power in a modern gun, and you can shoot cheap with cast bullets.

Top Bottom