• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Ok, this might get me flamed but here goes. I'm all for NOT letting the bad guys get the guns, especially in a FTF deal. BUT.... There are some of us gun owners who purchase their guns solely for home defense, at least for now, and dont wish to be fingerprinted and put on a list by getting an LTCH. That said, I follow the law and the guns stay in the home.

Now the problem. According to Indiana state law, the following holds true:

Permit needed to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.
    Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.
    Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.
    Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.

Therefore, all I need is my ID to prove my residence and age and the cash.
    By law, you dont need any more than I'm required to provide to make a purchase.

Yet, many ads for the private sale of a rifle between two people with Indiana state drivers licences require also seeing an LTCH. Yes, the purpose is obvious, people think that having an LTCH is the end all be all proof that the buyer has passed certain scrutiny to carry a gun. Yes, its a nice and easy way for the seller to be certain But can there not be a fairer way to handle the legal purchase of a rifle without putting people like me out in the cold?

I'm fine with offering my ID for your scrutiny
    I'm happy to have a quaint discussion so you can feel me out mentally
    It's great to provide a bill of sale that I'll happily sign

But requiring a handgun license to purchase a rifle, I dunno.

PS: Before posting your knee jerk quirky post in PURPLE, please read all the points and counter points in the following pages. BTW, this has nothing to do with the INGO classifieds.

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Some guys on here require to see a ltch to sell you a rifle... It is their preference not law... You can walk around all day with a rifle on your back with no ltch if you feel the need.

For all I know the persons ltch was revoked years ago and now has multiple felonies....

People make copies ya know..

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A gunshop will not sell me a rifle without a background check. As a private citizen I cannot do a background check on you easily so my asking to see your LTCH is an indirect way of conducting a background check. No one wants to sell a gun to a guy who kills someone or uses it in a crime. Don't be offended. You're dealing in potentially dangerous items and it's good to be cautious.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I always show my LTCH when making a private deal and if I am the seller (I rarely am) I would like to see one. Just feel like I am doing my due diligence. I am sure many people on here feel the same. It has no info on it that your DL does not include. I have no issue with it.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I do not buy from sellers that post "ltch required" whether I have had one for 20+ years or not. However, do it the right way and meet at a lgs and pay(buyer or seller) $15-25 for a transfer. Who the hell knows if that pink piece of paper is legit or not....:dunno:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It is the seller's choice. Most will still sell to a non-LTCH holder but will ask to meet you at the LGS for a transfer with a background check.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I do not buy from sellers that post "ltch required" whether I have had one for 20+ years or not. However, do it the right way and meet at a lgs and pay(buyer or seller) $15-25 for a transfer. Who the hell knows if that pink piece of paper is legit or not....:dunno:

Someone could make one that looks very real if they wanted to... Honestly they should make it plastic like a DL and have security featured that are hard to duplicate.... I saw a WI Carr liscence and it is plastic and If I remember right has your picture.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    ... You can walk around all day with a rifle on your back with no ltch if you feel the need.

It may get you an awful lot of unwanted attention, but need or not, its allowed by law....without a permit OR a handgun permit.

I understand its by personal pref that people do it, but what If I collect rifles and dont even own a handgun? Why would I have an LTCH?

I know, its not an argument that most people want to get into, but there has been many times I wanted a rifle via Private sale, yet they want an LTCH.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I would sell you a long arm so long as you told me you were a resident of Indiana and a proper person. I followed the law, no problem. Some people worry more than I do about certain things. I worry about infringements.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    It may get you an awful lot of unwanted attention, but need or not, its allowed by law....without a permit OR a handgun permit.

I understand its by personal pref that people do it, but what If I collect rifles and dont even own a handgun? Why would I have an LTCH?

I know, its not an argument that most people want to get into, but there has been many times I wanted a rifle via Private sale, yet they want an LTCH.
    Their loss OP, I'll sell ya a gun however as I just received my FFL. :D

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I would sell you a long arm so long as you told me you were a resident of Indiana and a proper person. I followed the law, no problem. Some people worry more than I do about certain things. I worry about infringements.

Obviously there are things to look and listen for when you're feeling out a potential buyer. But its kind of a slippery slope when you start trying to judge people by how they speak, their appearance, or some kinda weirdness you feel might be out of character of a proper person. We're not all psychologists.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will not deal with the "LTCH" required to buy any gun. There call of course if they want to feel safe. Truth is, it is near impossible to trace a gun these days. I had a hand gun stolen and was not able to give the serial number to the responding leo until I got home to my files. Problem here, I had the little Bastardie by the throat when LEO arrived. I knew he stole it, his boss knew he stole it but leo could do nothing. LEO as much as told me there was really no easy way to track the gun back to me. I had to provide all the info. I never got the gun back.
    I will show my ID and do a bill of sale for any purchase as that is all I need to do in an LGS. It is easy to find me and I make myself accessible. These folks are limiting the people who will buy from them and I am one of those folks. To ask this is no buffer for safety.

Edit...I will do the background deal at an LGS but I will not pay for it.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

I sold a shotgun a while back and did not ask for an LTCH if that tells you anything....

Like said above... Good judgement and valid IN drivers liscence...

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Someone could make one that looks very real if they wanted to... Honestly they should make it plastic like a DL and have security featured that are hard to duplicate.... I saw a WI Carr liscence and it is plastic and If I remember right has your picture.

Not only that, but what if a person is convicted of a Felony or domestic violence after they received their LTCH? I guarantee the popo isn't coming to collect that little piece of paper.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I used to one you sold me this weekend and got a Coyote with it. 50 yard off hand shot to the base of the skull. .17 dropped it like a hot rock.

Thanks for seeing me as a right person.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    If a seller demands a LTCH that is their choice. If they will only sell to guys with brown hair, that is also their choice. Just be glad that we still have the choice to sell to whoever we choose (for now). If private sales go away, local gun stores will be overwhelmed with doing transfers and 4473s for walk ins. Which will would likely lead to increased transfer fees, plus you would have to pay sales tax.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not only that, but what if a person is convicted of a Felony or domestic violence after they received their LTCH? I guarantee the popo isn't coming to collect that little piece of paper.

That's what I was getting at in the earlier post... No way of knowing their record and people make copies of that paper so even if the cops took it no way to know if the person has copies.... Another reason why I like the plastic ones... But then the person could say they lost it when they are asked for it.

Here is a thought... Make it an endorsement on your DL.. When it is revoked you get a new DL....

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Here is a thought... Make it an endorsement on your DL.. When it is revoked you get a new DL....

Hmmm...everytime a person is pulled over, goes through a security check point, or lets their employer makes a copy of their DL they will be scrutinized. I have learned to keep my ltch in a seperate compartment in my wallet. I was pulled over once and couldn't figure out how the officer guessed I had a firearm on my person. Most people on here would rather keep that out of the equation.

Although the thought of being asked at the BMV

Do you want to be an organ donor?
    Do you want to be a lead donor?

Might be worth it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Camhickey