• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    hey guys, gander mountain will be having a deal on the day after thanksgiving for a bushmaster carbon 15 centerfire package with a bushnell red dot scope for 599$ i know some guys get bent out of shape since the barrel isnt chrome lined but is this really as important as they say? i realize if you were overseas in the sandbox its important to be able to fire off hundreds or even thousands of rounds without worrying about your barrel getting gummed up but as a civilian is this really enough of a concern to make me pass on a decent deal? i could always just clean the gun if it gets dirty and ive got other more reliable firearms to defend myself and my property if the need arises. or are there other reasons why some people dont like this gun?

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The bushmaster C15 was my every first AR. I ended selling it for a palmetto.

First off, the red dot sucks. it will not hold zero. You'll want to buy a different one.
    Next the rail on the top for the red dot sight will become loose all the time.
    If you ever want to change the gas block, your SOL because the barrel is smaller than the normal size.

If you want an AR just to shot on the weekends, despite everything. It will work just fine. besides what I above. The gun never jammed.

Would I buy it again for myself? No.
    Would I buy it for my son/daughter to shoot on the weekends? possibly.

Its a good AR to realize what you don't want in an AR.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would save up just a little more cash and buy a PSA or a DPMS, and stay away from the "optics ready carbines" in Dpms and Bushmaster's lines. I almost forgot, Smith and Wesson makes a nice entry level AR, I would ck. that one out as well. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I had one and returned it because the buffer tube mount on the lower was cracked. Too bad. Loved the light weight. If they ever get the polymer right, I'd love to have one again.

Mine, from Dick's, had a crome lined barrel.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    thanks for the input, yea i figured if the sight was no good i could pick up another one but if the rail on top is an issue another sight wont make much difference. another question for the knowledgable AR guys, i thought that bushmaster was one of the better brands for AR,s . i have a bushmaster A2 that i got a while back and its never done me wrong. granted ive never really been to hard on it (mostly 2 or 3 hundred rounds at the range not much more). and i paid around 1100 for it. if i had the 1100 to spend again, is there a better maker i should be looking at instead of bushmaster?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know much so I probably shouldn't weigh in, but I have read that the older Bushmaster's were okay, but the newer ones not so much. A company named Windham purchased the old Bushmaster plant and according to Windham, they made a lot of improvements in the plant, invested some capital and improved on the original Bushmaster that was made there and came out with a new AR.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    thanks for the input, yea i figured if the sight was no good i could pick up another one but if the rail on top is an issue another sight wont make much difference. another question for the knowledgable AR guys, i thought that bushmaster was one of the better brands for AR,s . i have a bushmaster A2 that i got a while back and its never done me wrong. granted ive never really been to hard on it (mostly 2 or 3 hundred rounds at the range not much more). and i paid around 1100 for it. if i had the 1100 to spend again, is there a better maker i should be looking at instead of bushmaster?

Prices on AR's have dropped that past couple of years, yes if I were going to spend 1100 on an AR today, I would look at the Colt 6920, Daniel Defense, ArmaLite, LMT, Spikes Tactical. To name a few of the really good ones.
    Just as the other guy stated the older Bushmasters made in Windham ME, are decent, I still own a Bushy and have owned other Bushy's without issues. But these days for 1100 you can get better.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I was in the same situation, looking for my first AR and wanting to get one at the best price I could and also getting a good quality firearm. Was going to go the Bushmaster Carbon route but kept putting it off. Came across a review of the S&W Sport 15 and kinda got hooked. I started reading everything I could about the rifle, all the reviews. Finally took the plunge and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    Prices on AR's have dropped that past couple of years, yes if I were going to spend 1100 on an AR today, I would look at the Colt 6920, Daniel Defense, ArmaLite, LMT, Spikes Tactical. To name a few of the really good ones.
    Just as the other guy stated the older Bushmasters made in Windham ME, are decent, I still own a Bushy and have owned other Bushy's without issues. But these days for 1100 you can get better.

I have been curious about this myself. Do you know anything about the Ruger AR?

bigz82

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Northeast Indianapolis
    This was my first ar and i loved it. Light accurate and mine was chrome lined. Got mine from gander mountain too. The only thing or only reason i sold it was u cant put a free floating handguard or change barrel items because its oversized so extra strength because its polymer. But good starting rife if u want a light weight. But i have to say it maybe worth spending the money if u wanna really customize it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have been curious about this myself. Do you know anything about the Ruger AR?

With the Ruger, they make 2 that I am aware of, both are good.
    If I were buying one of them I would get the one with the 3 PMAGS, case and flip up sights. They do have a cheaper model called the "E" series, they are both well made rifles.

Buckshot0814

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    i was talking to a LGS employee and the ruger SR556 and he said that we probably wont see them on the market for another 5 or 6 months because of the gov't order for them and he also said that they are having issues with the bolt chewing up the buffer and suggested i go a different route in the ar 15 platform

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    i was talking to a LGS employee and the ruger SR556 and he said that we probably wont see them on the market for another 5 or 6 months because of the gov't order for them and he also said that they are having issues with the bolt chewing up the buffer and suggested i go a different route in the ar 15 platform

Maybe he is just trying to sell you an AR? Google it yourself and see if there are any issues with the SR556.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    A fellow soldier and friend had a Carbon 15 (EARLY version) and it smelled weird when shot to the point of a little heat, and the gas tube bent and stuck ON TOP of the gas key one day. Installed new gas tube, he is still shooting it so I guess not too bad overall.
    Funny thing about TRUE carbon fiber is that it SHRINKS slightly when heated, so your receiver could conceivably wear out faster, dunno if that's the case with a carbon 15 as they are probably more poly than C.F.

Swordman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I just traded for a Bushmaster 15 Pistol, model 97. We can not figure out how to get the forearm off to replace it with a better one Does any one have ay experience with one of these and will the forearm come off?

Top Bottom