• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    All I got out of it was the drivers are upset with the state for wanting unemployment benefits back since the new law that was passed saying seasonal workers can't collect when they are not working. Looks like some managed to get a couple thousand dollars somehow while others only got a couple hundred dollars.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    All I got out of it was the drivers are upset with the state for wanting unemployment benefits back since the new law that was passed saying seasonal workers can't collect when they are not working. Looks like some managed to get a couple thousand dollars somehow while others only got a couple hundred dollars.

Ahhh, I see. The change seems logical.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The school should have a substitute bus driver on hand to things like this. What if the driver had a family emergency and couldn't run the afternoon route?

The drivers here have the power. Thanks to government regulation, I believe a special driver's license must be obtained to operate a school bus. Not only that, if the company is doing their job, they are doing quarterly license checks to make sure the driver's all hold valid licenses and no one has been suspended. Go ahead and fire all off them, immediately. Maybe there are thousands of people with the special license just waiting to get a job?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Fire them. They're in a position where they know the rules of the game. The company nor the school corporation made this decision. Fire them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    As stated above, you need a class b cdl with public passengers and school bus endorsements to drive a school bus. Most have air brakes so you would need that as well. Also to get hired the background checks, a dot physical, drug test.

I don't think they will get fired anytime soon, but I have the feeling that they will be slowly let go or at the end of the year when they have enough time to find and train new people.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We had the option to take pay on a 21 or 26 period schedule, so we could be paid all summer. Maybe they didn't have that, but these schmucks knew the situation they were getting into and should have planned.

Yes, B-CDL with public passenger, then the "S" school bus endorsement came around a few years ago, but if you'd already been driving you could be grandfathered in. They're all diesel now, and with the possible exception of the really small ones, all of them have air brakes. You take your CDL test with a big one either way, so you have to have it. You also have to do an annual "safety meeting" (which is now online) to get your yellow card for the year, and of course the random pee tests, biannual physical, and now the background check has to be updated every 5 years.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    We had the option to take pay on a 21 or 26 period schedule, so we could be paid all summer. Maybe they didn't have that, but these schmucks knew the situation they were getting into and should have planned.

Yes, B-CDL with public passenger, then the "S" school bus endorsement came around a few years ago, but if you'd already been driving you could be grandfathered in. They're all diesel now, and with the possible exception of the really small ones, all of them have air brakes. You take your CDL test with a big one either way, so you have to have it. You also have to do an annual "safety meeting" (which is now online) to get your yellow card for the year, and of course the random pee tests, biannual physical, and now the background check has to be updated every 5 years.

Sounds like you work for the school, they didn't work for the school.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The yellow card (blue for rookies who haven't made it to the 3 day course) thing is pretty much a joke if you ask me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The yellow card is basically a receipt showing you've been through the annual meeting, which is a requirement to be eligible to drive.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The yellow card is basically a receipt showing you've been through the annual meeting, which is a requirement to be eligible to drive.

With tests you can take online which you have to score 80% or higher to pass and you can take as many times as you want untill you pass or after you pass. 10 question tests with the same 15 questions that pop up in the test...
    Worthless.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Where did the drivers EVER get the idea that they were entitled to any sort of unemployment compensation over the summer? That's just stupid and outrageous.

I don't know if the school system, or the contracting company or the state agency said they were eligible but it makes absolutely NO sense. Hired as a school bus driver, its reasonable to assume that the job would end with the end of the school year. Why would you ever think that you would have a job over the summer (or spring/fall/thanksgiving/christmas breaks either).

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    More truth here than folks realize. Still the wrong thing to do in a busing world. We live a 5 minute walk from the local IPS school and they were going to send my son all the hell way across town (45/55 minute buss ride) for Kindergarten. Wrong...Catholic school. Yes, a lot of money but they went with folks they knew all the way through and were never subjected to politics or union crap.

You mean..gasp..real life?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Where did the drivers EVER get the idea that they were entitled to any sort of unemployment compensation over the summer? That's just stupid and outrageous.

I don't know if the school system, or the contracting company or the state agency said they were eligible but it makes absolutely NO sense. Hired as a school bus driver, its reasonable to assume that the job would end with the end of the school year. Why would you ever think that you would have a job over the summer (or spring/fall/thanksgiving/christmas breaks either).
    since the school contracts it out, I doubt it was them. The driver and aide I talked to though on Friday at the school told me that Durham Services(the bus company and employee of the drivers) told them they were eligible for unemployment over the summer. :dunno: The state says they aren't.

Top Bottom