• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did a bullet or did an object on the road do this?

• Bullet

• Object on road

Results are only viewable after voting.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    She could retrace her tracks EXACTLY tomorrow, then if she gets another flat tire in the exact same spot……well, we might not know for sure but we could probably rule out a bullet.
    That’s actually the thing that makes me question the “rebar in the road” theory… I bet tens of thousands of cars drive over that exact spot in the road every single day. You would think there’d be at least hundreds of flat tires daily in that case.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hole in the tire tread is more toward the center of the tire, while the hole in the rim is 1-2” further toward the car, so it angled a bit from the outside-in. I agree that my first thought was something not anchored likely would have just laid down if it was at an angle, rather than having enough force to punch a hole through the rim.

Taking it to a mechanic for an inspection on Monday… was planning on today, but some work emergencies forced us to reschedule.
    So the hole in the rim is the bonus hole?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have seen a lot of punctured tires over the years, ASE technician in my younger years, service advisor & service manager.

I have NEVER seen a rim punctured, ever. Something long enough to puncture tire & wheel would likely have stayed in the tire & wheel
    My experience as well...never have I ever seen a rim punctured!
    As a Class A CDL Driver for 8 years, I've seen bent...but never punctured!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That’s actually the thing that makes me question the “rebar in the road” theory… I bet tens of thousands of cars drive over that exact spot in the road every single day. You would think there’d be at least hundreds of flat tires daily in that case.
    The way loose objects randomly wedge themselves and impale tires is weird. A hundred people can run over a loose screwdriver without incident until one person hits it just right.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The way loose objects randomly wedge themselves and impale tires is weird. A hundred people can run over a loose screwdriver without incident until one person hits it just right.
    Yep. Road debris reacts in weird ways, which is also why I always try to stop and remove it when I can safely do so (obviously not an option on a busy highway like I65). I've found enough tools doing that to pretty well stock my "roadside assistance" toolbox that I keep in my car at work. The road giveth, and the road taketh away!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    One would think it it was a bullet that traveled through the tire and wheel the wheel would have a dent/mark on the opposite inside.
    Was it a rear tire or front?

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    A friend of mine had a hole in the STEEL rim on his Jeep. He took the tire/rim to the store he bought it at and the tech said he never knew that re-bar came in .308 size. Oops!

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    One would think it it was a bullet that traveled through the tire and wheel the wheel would have a dent/mark on the opposite inside.
    Was it a rear tire or front?
    Rear and angled from roughly the middle of the tread to about 1.5" closer to the inside edge of the rim where the hole in the rim was. Conceivable something might have missed the other side of the rim.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Rear and angled from roughly the middle of the tread to about 1.5" closer to the inside edge of the rim where the hole in the rim was. Conceivable something might have missed the other side of the rim.

I would think anything elongated enough to puncture tire and rim would distort the exit hole more. Interested to see what the examination shows.

Top Bottom