• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did a bullet or did an object on the road do this?

• Bullet

• Object on road

Results are only viewable after voting.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I figured this would be fun for the INGO community to determine…

My fiancée was driving on 65 near downtown today when she had a tire blow out. Fortunately, she got off the highway safely and called me to come change her tire. Got the tire changed, looked the flat over before I put it in truck, saw there was a pretty good sized hole in the tread. Squatted down to lift the wheel up and noticed that there was a hole in the underside of the rim! As you can see from the pic, it’s a pretty perfectly round hole. Having seen a few bullet holes in my lifetime, I thought it looked remarkably like one! Plus, something that could put a hole in the tire and punch such a clean hole through the wheel… that eliminates quite a few possibilities!

Wanting to be a good citizen, I called the State Police to let them know what I suspected. Side note: I was very impressed that they actually answered their non-emergency line on the first or second ring and I had a patrol car in my driveway within about 30-40 minutes.

The troopers were great, but determined that it wasn’t a bullet, rather it was an object on the road that had punctured both the tire and rim. To their credit, they took pics, made measurements and even got the opinion of their sergeant. Among other things, they thought the angles made it pretty unlikely that it could have been a bullet. Sent a video to my brother (who’s been a cop for 20+ years) and he thinks it’s a bullet hole. I measured the hole’s outside diameter and it’s about 1/2” and pretty perfectly round. Perhaps reasonable minds can disagree… so what does INGO think and why?

IMG_1731.jpeg
    IMG_1730.jpeg

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just my thoughts, but if it was an object on the road and the lack of any remains, I believe the officers involved knew the true answer and didn’t want to express their opinion publicly.

A FOIA for their report might help clear up any confusion.

But that’s another conversation. Again JMO.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I drive a semi and every time I have a big flat, the offending item is in the tire. Having hit a few things with a variety of vehicles, a stationary object hit by a car tire would move violently from its original position before it could pierce the rim, or it would be big enough she would've seen it. Having also shot a lot of metal things.... I'd agree with the consensus here.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It does look like a bullet hole. But it could also be road debris, like an exposed piece of rebar that stayed in the concrete but punched a hole. There's a lot of stuff out there harder than aluminum that could do that when hit at speed.

If it was a bullet, a.) it's going to be difficult to prove conclusively without actually having the projectile, and b.) even if they could prove it was a bullet what are they going to do about it? You're talking about a road with thousands if not hundreds of thousands of cars on it daily. It also could have come from somewhere off the highway. Bullets can travel a long way, so that creates a tremendous amount of area to cover, and there are no witnesses. The OP's fiance didn't even see anything.

A FOIA for their report? You're just going to get the same information you already know. There's no conspiracy or coverup here...simply a lack of evidence to build a case that a crime even occurred, and no suspect to prosecute.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been an ASE auto tech for 25+ years. I agree it looks a lot like a bullet hole at first glance. But, what kind of car and which tire was it? Looking at the wheel,the hole looks pretty far inboard and depending how low the car sits if it were a bullet, I would think it would have had to of been traveling nearly parallel to the road surface and only a few inches off the ground. The hole in the tire looks slightly elongated. Which makes me think something was sticking up and was run over. To get a nice round hole in the wheel the tire puncture would have to be just as round.
    I'm thinking something was run over

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've been an ASE auto tech for 25+ years. I agree it looks a lot like a bullet hole at first glance. But, what kind of car and which tire was it? Looking at the wheel,the hole looks pretty far inboard and depending how low the car sits if it were a bullet, I would think it would have had to of been traveling nearly parallel to the road surface and only a few inches off the ground. The hole in the tire looks slightly elongated. Which makes me think something was sticking up and was run over. To get a nice round hole in the wheel the tire puncture would have to be just as round.
    Agree. That's a square on hit, inboard of the edge. Exactly where holes from running over stuff happen. Probably pieces of stuff inside the tire if you take it off.

Seen all kinds of stuff spear all the way through a rim. Usually it gets stuck, but not always. Rims are not especially hard metal.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    255/50R19 tire on an SUV. That's essentially what the State troopers determined... the rear fender had about 15 1/2" of clearance from the road, which would have made it an even tighter window for the path of a bullet every inch above that. Impossible to know anything for sure, but it's a plausible explanation and one that left my fiancee feeling much safer than the alternative!

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    It would probably be a good idea to personally look or have a competent professional pull that wheel and check the hub, rotor, suspension, brake lines Etc
    Yep, it's headed to the shop tomorrow morning for an inspection. Regardless of what it was, kicking up under the car after it hit the wheel and damaging something else was one of my biggest concerns.

I also didn't notice the hole in the wheel until after I had the spare on and I wasn't about to take the spare back off and do a full inspection down by Methodist Hospital!

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It certainly looks like a bullet hole. But the "angle of attack" the bullet would have to take makes that very unlikely. IMO it's most likely something sitting up on the road (e.g. rebar) that was run over. But we'll never know for sure.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom