• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife and I have been planning some changes to the homestead here and I was outside today looking at things and pondering the possibilities. Our first priority is opening up another couple of acres for the horse pasture. I have a drainage on my property which has a small amount of running water through it most of the year. There are some old field tiles that dump into it and I'd say there's probably about 35-40 acres that drain into it, 80% of that an ag field.

Looking at the elevation changes it looks like a dam could be built which could result in a small pond (1/4 - 1/3 acre maybe). I'd love to have a pond for several reasons but I know I won't be filling the freezer from a pond that small. It would be nice for the horses to have access to water aside from the water trough and we enjoy having wildlife around.

Where would I start asking questions to determine if this is something I could do? I assume there is some sort of permit required and it seems like I've heard about soil tests, etc. I have no idea where to begin asking questions. I've spoken to a friend and I think I can get all of the busted up concrete and fill dirt I was for no charge and he's got an excavator guy he works with so that end seems like it wouldn't be too difficult. I just need to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Check with the County first. If there are field tiles it may be a regulated drain and work within any regulated drain requires approval. You also need to check and make sure your "drainage" is not classified as "Waters of the US". The rules regarding what is and what is not Waters of the US changed (for the better) under Trump and have now reverted back (for the worse) to the OBama interpretation. Impounding "Waters of the US" requires a permit as well. A permit you likely won't get without a lot of headache. If your County has a drianage board, start there with questions. If not, start with the County surveyor.

Busted up concrete is not your friend for building a dam. You need good clay, properly compacted in uniform lifts. If you are building an embankment across the drianage to create the pond, the dam needs a keyway as welll. You cannot effectively compact dirt around concrete without void spaces and void spaces will wreck a dam as it allows water migration through the dam. Forget about the busted up concrete.

Lastly, AG runoff can be very high in nitrogen content and nitrogen content promotes algae growth.

Dirty Steve

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hamilton County has a Drainage Board. I would start by poking around there. Dillinger is a decent guy, Altman consistently fails to impress, and Heirbrandt seemed likable the one time that we met. Your location will help, in that you are not directly in the path of immediate expansion plans. Good luck with the project!

Last edited:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Check with the County first. If there are field tiles it may be a regulated drain and work within any regulated drain requires approval. You also need to check and make sure your "drainage" is not classified as "Waters of the US". The rules regarding what is and what is not Waters of the US changed (for the better) under Trump and have now reverted back (for the worse) to the OBama interpretation. Impounding "Waters of the US" requires a permit as well. A permit you likely won't get without a lot of headache. If your County has a drianage board, start there with questions. If not, start with the County surveyor.

Busted up concrete is not your friend for building a dam. You need good clay, properly compacted in uniform lifts. If you are building an embankment across the drianage to create the pond, the dam needs a keyway as welll. You cannot effectively compact dirt around concrete without void spaces and void spaces will wreck a dam as it allows water migration through the dam. Forget about the busted up concrete.

Lastly, AG runoff can be very high in nitrogen content and nitrogen content promotes algae growth.

Dirty Steve
    Great example of what happens when you use concrete ,rocks , bricks ........as fill .
    This one used to be ours ........We bought it like this .

IMG_0125.JPG

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Appreciate the info folks. I won't have a hand in designing or building the dam so I'll be going with an experienced excavator to do that work. I'll be toughing base with the county to see if it's an option and what hurdles are in the way. Very well may not be worth the effort but the layout seems like it would be pretty easy to create a pond in this spot. We'll see.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If it has agriculture runoff into it you might want to look into what farm chemicals may be going into it???
    It will fill with ag chemicals. I would not eat fish out of it. You will have algae bloom like the big reservoirs get too. I would not want my livestock to drink it either. I know of many subdivisions around Indy that have enormous bass but they marinate in yard chemicals so they always get thrown back.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I sent you a pm . Call an experienced pond builder. Just because they can push and pile dirt doesn't make them qualified . There is quite a bit more to it .
    This has been my take on the topic too. There is one large hole in the ground on the road to our property that I'm pretty sure the landowner wishes would hold water. The dock to nowhere is a giveaway.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    This has been my take on the topic too. There is one large hole in the ground on the road to our property that I'm pretty sure the landowner wishes would hold water. The dock to nowhere is a giveaway.
    That happens to best of them as well , no guarantee it holds water . But experienced guys can do a few things beforehand to see if it's worth the effort . It's better to spend a little to get piece of mind before you big hole in the ground with no water .

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Doug Bergman of Bergman Excavating out of Batesville did my pond in summer 2019 and was the best contractor I've ever used...HIGHLY recommend.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Doug Bergman of Bergman Excavating out of Batesville did my pond in summer 2019 and was the best contractor I've ever used...HIGHLY recommend.
    I sent phylodog Doug's info . I thought you had used him . Glad you were happy with his work. He's a great guy and takes pride it what he does . Tough to get once in a while, very very busy

Top Bottom