• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm thinking of building a 1911 from scratch. I have no experience, but I think it would be a fun and rewarding project to take slowly and learn.

What parts and features should I consider, and why?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would buy Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on building 1911's first before buying any parts.If you buy parts 'in the white' Hoosier Gun Coat on Ingo can finish them after being fitted to your 1911.He did a slide for me and it turned out PERFECT!:rockwoot:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If you do you should start a thread with pics and details so we can watch your progress. That would be preetty cool.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been there and done that. The advice you got so far is good. I'm not so sure that getting one of the spray-on finishes works so well with a tightly fitted slide and frame, but I could be wrong. If you can, get a slide and frame which have been pre-fitted. If possible, have the safety plunger tube installed by the manufacturer. I would get a hammer and sear combination, like Chip McCormick from Brownells. Get an EZ Fit Kart barrel which has the bushing pre-fit to the barrel. If you get these things you will avoid a lot of tedious work and not have to get any specialty tools that you may only use once. Buying the sear/ hammer combo will save you trying to get a good trigger job, which is both art and science. You will probably find out that you will not have saved any money building it yourself, but you will learn a lot. You will not have a very marketable item after you are done, either.

joeboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    North Vernon
    It'sa fun thing to do. I build them as a hobby. I have probably built 50 plus. I average 100 plus hours on each. I hand lap every part and o some special work on them that I have learned over the years. Do like they have said. Read up and do your homework. I have gotten alot of stuff of ebay. Shop around. sometimes the aftermarket can be a bit crazy. It pays to shop.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    I have what i believe is an Argentine Colt frame, with only a .22 Colt Conversion kit, on top; part of my Dad's estate, originally his 2nd wifes.
    I am interested in refinishing it and adding a .45 barrel and slide.
    Could all the refinishing be done on my own or would i be $$ ahead to send that part of the job out?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Caspian frame and slide (w/ Novak LP sight cut)
    Kart barrel & bushing
    SV-Infinity hammer, sear and disconnector
    SV-Infinity Tri-Glide Trigger
    SV-Infinity 5" guide rod
    Ed Brown ambi and grip saftey

Could all the refinishing be done on my own or would i be $$ ahead to send that part of the job out?

Send the slide and frame to Wayne Black Oxide in Fort Wayne. As long as the prep is right (like matte bead blasting), it should come back a deep, dark black.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    I built mine helped my brother with his and we built and sold another one. It's not about resale if your building it for yourself. Just take your time shop around it's really not that hard,I think its fun. If you buy Drop-In parts the takes alot of the work out of it but it will still need some fitting. Building it yourself makes it more special than any other.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I would follow Slow1911s parts list if it were my own. If you dont have the facilities to do any slide of frame fitting, you might think about a Les Baer matched set. The slide to frame will be super super tight and stay that way forever.

Top Bottom