Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sadly (not really) that is kind of how our system works. The buck KINDA stops with the USSC doesn't it? They make decisions that I do not like, I may ***** and moan about it, but I still follow it. It is not being a "statist", it is obeying the Constitution that created the system we currently have. There are laws I do not agree with, some I have discretion, however, the vast majority I do not and must follow through with them even if I do not agree.

And so, when some judge decrees (and with the replacement of a Scalia or Thomas or Alito by Pres. Hillary, it's not so far fetched this could come from SCOTUS someday), some law that commands the confiscation of all semi-automatic weapons, capable of firing more than 10 shots, with a detachable magazine is lawful, you'll be there to enforce their constitutional decree? Gotcha.

Last edited:

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    And so, when some judge decrees (and with the replacement of a Scalia or Thomas or Alito by Pres. Hillary, it's not so far fetched this could come from SCOTUS someday), some law that commands the confiscation of all semi-automatic weapons, capable of firing more than 10 shots, with a detachable magazine is lawful, you'll be there to enforce their constitutional decree? Gotcha.

I doubt this would happen. The 2nd amendment is a right, not an implied right, like gay marriage. There is already precedent that heavily favors the 2nd amendment. Even if your scenario does happen, I would have no choice but to comply and fight the ruling the only way I can, and that's supporting a constitutional amendment going against the ruling. With a republican congress it wouldn't be very difficult to push through a pro-gun amendment, and I can see most states going for it since it only requires a hard number of states regardless of population.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I doubt this would happen. The 2nd amendment is a right, not an implied right, like gay marriage. There is already precedent that heavily favors the 2nd amendment. Even if your scenario does happen, I would have no choice but to comply and fight the ruling the only way I can, and that's supporting a constitutional amendment going against the ruling. With a republican congress it wouldn't be very difficult to push through a pro-gun amendment, and I can see most states going for it since it only requires a hard number of states regardless of population.

Point missed.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

I hope they don't pass a law rounding up gun owners and sending them to extermination camps, or mandating that all males over the age of 17 be castrated. That constitutional amendment may take a while, with all the good burghers carrying out their duty, or 'fighting the only way they can'.

You are going to rely on Congress and the States to protect your rights?

By the way, what happens when a right based on feelings and liberty (like same sex marriage) collides with an enumerated right? What if the legal experts at SCOTUS, Inc., declare that the former trumps the latter?

As in, my right to feel safe is more important than your right to play John Wayne with a six-shooter? And I'm sure SCOTUS would still let us shoot at gun ranges. And hunt. With approved calibers, of course.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Precisely. When the one county clerk I heard of from my home state of Mississippi had an issue with it she did the right thing and resigned her position, so it could be filled by someone who could do their duty. They took an oath of office and have to do their job, (just like the rest of us). The governor in KY has already told them they could be facing penalties, including removal from office or even criminal penalties. Do your job or get out. It ain't rocket surgery.

This county clerk has an agenda, the governor is telling him to follow the law. The county clerk is denying the liberty of a right for gays to be married. Especially as a public servant you have no legal liberty to cherry pick the laws you choose to follow.

BUT, but.... We are already cherry picking the laws we want to follow, people who took an oath to uphold the law are currently looking the other way to advance their agenda.
    What about the Federal laws being broken in Colorodo, or Washington over pot, or the sanctuary cities refusing to uphold immigration laws. How is this any different?
    I don't want to get in to the argument if these things should be legal or not, that's not the point. Fedral law is being broken and if the DOJ, FBI, ICE or any other federal, state and local agency doesn't want to enforce the law, then they should be fired the same as these clerks. Otherwise these clerks should be left to do as they please.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Nice strawman. Are you suggesting that we not follow the law as laid out by the USSC? Quite frankly, I have no willingness to brush them aside and act as if their rulings are invalid. I could go to jail or the very least, lose everything I own in doing so...it's kinda my job. I love our system, it is flawed but I love it none the less. We are talking about 2 adults marring each other and NOT total firearms confiscation. Can anyone NOT see the difference?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nice strawman. Are you suggesting that we not follow the law as laid out by the USSC? Quite frankly, I have no willingness to brush them aside and act as if their rulings are invalid. I could go to jail or the very least, lose everything I own in doing so...it's kinda my job. I love our system, it is flawed but I love it none the less. We are talking about 2 adults marring each other and NOT total firearms confiscation. Can anyone NOT see the difference?

No strawman at all; but an example to prove a point...And with the laws we've seen passed in NY and CT, not so far fetched as Hoosiers like to imagine should the balance in the court shift a bit more. So no ruling they could pass would cause you to be disobedient (civilly, of cours). Interesting.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Can we redefine monogamous to be gender inclusive so I can have one spouse of each gender and double down on my tax deduction?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No strawman at all; but an example to prove a point...And with the laws we've seen passed in NY and CT, not so far fetched as Hoosiers like to imagine should the balance in the court shift a bit more. So no ruling they could pass would cause you to be disobedient (civilly, of cours). Interesting.
    Honestly, if we're going to use this as an analog to the clerk refusing to do perform his duties you certainly wouldn't expect a police officer to keep his job.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Honestly, if we're going to use this as an analog to the clerk refusing to do perform his duties you certainly wouldn't expect a police officer to keep his job.

Anybody engaging in civil disobedience should expect to fact the consequences. It would never be an effective tool if the price for standing for what you believe in was so low.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maybe, but that is a "what if." I live in Indiana , a State with very friendly gun laws and the possibility of the USSC deciding that I must take all your guns is remote at best. The Indiana Supreme Court has traditionally been more restrictive of police actions than the USSC and I do not see that changing anytime soon, they have more affect on Indiana than the USSC does. So who decides if the USSC is right or wrong? As a keeper of the law, it will be a VERY high bar for me to decide to "disobey the court" and risk my job in doing so. Letting gays marry sure as hell ain't one of them.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe, but that is a "what if." I live in Indiana , a State with very friendly gun laws and the possibility of the USSC deciding that I must take all your guns is remote at best. The Indiana Supreme Court has traditionally been more restrictive of police actions than the USSC and I do not see that changing anytime soon, they have more affect on Indiana than the USSC does. So who decides if the USSC is right or wrong? As a keeper of the law, it will be a VERY high bar for me to decide to "disobey the court" and risk my job in doing so. Letting gays marry sure as hell ain't one of them.

I'm glad the homosexuals will be safe. I'm a little concerned about some court clerk or cake baker though...I hope Indiana never passes a law(s) that criminalizes failure to participate in gay marriage like other states have or creates a protective classification for them. They may well find themselves on the receiving end of you protecting your pension.

Top Bottom