• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Over the summer our daughter went to camp and was able to do a little bit of archery. I'd like to get her a bow but don't know how to go about finding one that she can draw. What would you recommend? Do I get her just a small recurve bow or a compound bow? She can't draw a lot of lbs.

She said when she was at camp that she never hit the target. I believe all shots were short. I don't know if that meant she couldn't/didn't draw it all the way back or what.

I guess I just don't know exactly where to start since I don't know much about archery except that I enjoyed it in high school PE class. :) And that was MANY years ago.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Alot of the recurve target bows only run up to 25lbs. Walmart carries (during archery season) youth bows also. Also, there are archery 4H programs out there, they should be helpful. You might want to stick to a kit, that way it already comes with arrows gloves, etc.

Here is a great resource for archery info:
    ArcheryTalk - Powered by vBulletin
    Youth Archery and Safety

Also some products:
    Buy Sentry Recurve Youth Bow - Youth bow / Kids bow Sentry Recurve
    Youth Archery-Youth Bows-3Rivers Archery Equipment, Traditional Youth Archery Bows and Arrows, and Long Bow Hunting
    Genesis Mini Compound Bow, Genesis, Compound Bows @ Ye Olde Archery Shoppe

BennyBlown2v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Back Yard Archery in noblesville, if it's still around. That's where I got my Martin recurve as a kid. They took measurements, we chose a draw weight, and they make it to specs. Or, you can always order one out of the catalog if one meets the specs the kid needs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Take her with you to an archery shop, preferably one large enough to have their own range. Lots of these shops have used/outgrown equipment that they have on consignment. If you're on the south side, I would try The Outdoorsman Sport Shop on 135.

And yes, it's still gonna cost more money than what you might have expected. Still a cheap investment if your daughter takes an interest that sticks.

Oh, last minute thought. I have friend that might still have a youth bow that might be a size your daughter could use. I won't be able to contact him 'till Saturday or so.

Bushobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Martinsville
    The archery shop is the place to go. You might look into the "Genesis" boy which is designed for all ages and draws. Ive spent some time in the shooting sports programs for kids and this is one that we use...Bushobi

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks bunches for all of the information!!! I would be surprised if she could draw 15lbs but I honestly have no idea. If you happen to check on the bow, just let me know. If you forget, it is really ok.

Thanks!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Spasmo, where'd she go to camp??

I worked with some camp councilors not long ago, and archery was one of the hardest things for them to teach. It's not like arts and crafts, where it's primarily talent, and it's not like rock climbing where it's a lot of strength - it's both skill and strength, and it's not easy to build both during the short time at camp..

Let me ask some of them, maybe they know where they get theirs..

Gonefishin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    I bought a youth compound bow a few years back for my daughter because she showed interest in shooting. She never shot it and now it is just laying around. I have six arrows to go with it. I think that it would work good for what you are looking for. We can work something out if you are interested.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    at cub soout day camp (Boys between 1st-5th grade) we use a lot of compound bows, and as long as she can pull it back to full draw it is teh better way to go.
    if she cant get it to full draw then she will do better with a recurve.

more imporant than the equipment is learnign to shoot properly.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We stopped by Backyard Archery a couple of weeks ago but they were closed. We plan on getting her "professionally fitted" only because I don't know what ALL to look for exactly.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    genesis

i have a genesis(mathews) that we don't use any more. its blue but I have some easton Jazz arrows to go with it that are more girlie colored. my kid is 6' 8" now and uses my black diamond. make me an offer. the genesis is cool with unlimited draw length and shoots like a more powerful bow than 20# pull it actually scales. i can't afford to give it away but i'm sure i can beat the archery shop. probably have ehough knowledge and spare equipment to get her set up right too. i live down near beanblossom. 812-277-6202

Top Bottom