Bourbon, bourbon everywhere. What about beer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I like dark beers, yet I have never tried either of these. Anybody here have anything to say about them?

tales-bottle3.png

Solid-Gold_hero2.png

Thanks, y'all

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I tried a bourbon barrel beer maybe 10 years ago or so, don't recall the brand. You better really like the smell of bourbon more than you like the taste of beer. I do not and haven't tried another.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have had dragon's milk but not the tales of gold version. Anything from
    Founders has been good.

Many bourbon barrel aged stouts at the brewers cup at the fairgrounds a week or so ago. One I liked was in markers
    Mark barrel for 40 months. Sampled many that day.

Overall the aged in bourbon trend is nice as it hits to popular trends the bourbon craze and the craft beer craze.
    I think the 40 month aged 24 ounce stout retails over 15 a can. Limited amount and demand was good. Cost was high.

Personally my favorites are English ales and I have been a big fan of new castle, and Sammy smiths for years before craft beer took off. Neither of them can be considered craft but they sell a ton of them.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I once threw up and had bourbon and buttered popcorn blast out of my nose. I hate the smell of both till this day. Sickest I've ever been. I stick to beer. German Dunkle, Irish Red and most IPA's are good to go. Yuengling on the patio or a Miller Lite on the lawnmower are alright too.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    There is plenty of beer that doesn't taste good (to me) but it's been a long time since I've had a bad beer. I can usually apricate the quality even if I can't finish it.

We'll, expect for IPA. That's simply a cult of retched lost souls trying to look cool.
    Oh, and any beer that has notes of fruit, bubble gum or an aroma of anything other than beer.
    I did have beer once that had 'notes of bubble gum'. The stuff really tasted like bubble gum. It was horrible.

OK, I retract my statement. I have had bad beer.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I like dark beers, yet I have never tried either of these. Anybody here have anything to say about them?
    Solid Gold is a regular old lager. Not bad, not great. Easy to dump into a cooler at the potluck.

If I was looking for something similar, I'd buy these instead:
    Cold Time - Revolution Brewing
    Lager for the Lakes - Bell's Brewing

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh, and any beer that has notes of fruit, bubble gum or an aroma of anything other than beer.

Can't say I've ever seen bubble gum beer, but I'd steer clear. I've had a couple raspberry beers I've liked, though. Lambics have a sour/tart taste that isn't that good with a sip but once you get into the beer it's quite good. Kind of like the old Pepsi challenge, stuff tastes different until you've got a mouth full of it.

Haven't had a beer in over a month, though. Just haven't been in the mood.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I can not stand hopps. I have yet to have an IPA I would even finish. I can do some beers, but more just to be social than a preference for them.
    Now cider...give me a Downeast any day.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Really liked (too much ) Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, but moved to Backwoods Bastard recently. Was told that Dragon's Milk was smoother, so that's next on the list. Might take a while though - SWMBO thinks that if I have more than a beer a week I'll end up an alcoholic (like her dad). I think that, after all these years, if I was headed that way, I would have arrived by now.

REALLY don't like citrus or coffee in my drink.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county

View attachment 367881

View attachment 367883

Thanks, y'all
    Fan of wobble pop's especially DARK, Dragon's milk is great stuff but its my sit in the hot tub and sipin brew.. thanks for the suggestion!
    I have not seen the tales of gold yet or the Founder's solid gold. I like their all day IPA's, very hoppy and full of flavors all IPA should have. Not all IPA's are on my list, a good lager served in a big cold mug sounds like a good dinner choice. Craft beers are getting out of hand, I can be happy with Coors but when my son's come over they all disappear too quickly so I get to restock often. Cheers. Tim

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    There is plenty of beer that doesn't taste good (to me) but it's been a long time since I've had a bad beer. I can usually apricate the quality even if I can't finish it.

We'll, expect for IPA. That's simply a cult of retched lost souls trying to look cool.
    I did have beer once that had 'notes of bubble gum'. The stuff really tasted like bubble gum. It was horrible.

OK, I retract my statement. I have had bad beer.
    Drove to Michigan to get a 6 pack of Kid Rocks "Bad ass" beer years ago. It was fruity. Gave the remaining 5 to a friend. He tried one. Sat in his fridge for 6 months before he finally tossed it. Sorry. Can't associate "Bad Ass" with fruit.

I'll stick to yuengling and a shot of skrewball here and there. I'm a simple man

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Beautiful Dreams by Daredevil is a nice, mild English Dark that you don't have to eat with a spoon.
    Went shopping this AM, saw that dragons milk,4 pack, 14.99.
    I wanted to try the Beautiful dreams but it was sold out.. its on the list.

Dragons Milks is over priced but good my kids get it for me as a gift now and then.. I had a craft beer in Portland Ore. at a place called McMenamins they redo old mills/movie theaters and such.. around Portland. The beer is called the dark as night. Only on tap and its my go to when there for watching people: READ as wow I can't wait to get back to Indiana as my wife and daughter are shopping. Were planning on going next year so I am going to work my way down the dark beer list as they wander the needle filled streets...

Top Bottom