Bought a lathe... May need psychiatric help...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Bought a lathe...

Needs some work but the price was right...

What the heck... I need a winter project...

SB16 (Medium).jpg :n00b:

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Heck, I'd buy a steam boat in the desert if I could get a good price and a co-signor.
    Two thumbs up.

Here ya go.

latest

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    SB 117-E is what I found on name plate. 16" It is very heavy.

Don't need any co-signers fellas. Cash was king.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    nice 16 inch south bend, i am a shop breed tool room machinist, that has rebuilt several old lathes.......please dont be afraid to ask for any ideas i have

grizzly now owns SBL and they can and will decode the numbers found at the right rear on the bed/way, tells year made and so forth

i ran a lathe just like that for years, nice old machine

you can get a phase converter to run 3 PH off 220 single, but, static converters only give you 2/3 the HP rating on the motor, and rotory converters, are loud, might wanna consider a DC motor and a drive for it, vari speed, single phase power

now you have the cheap part, the tooling costs will drive you mad.......nice old machine, lucky man you are!

Aaron

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Needs some work but the price was right...

What the heck... I need a winter project...

View attachment 49582 :n00b:

The mystery is solved! My 13 inch SB wondered what happened to its big brother!

Seriously, even though I have had it a while, I haven't made any progress yet. Hopefully I will be feeling well enough before long to get that done along with a number of other things accumulating on my 'to do' list!

Just for my curiosity, are there any other machine tools you are looking for? For the time being, I have enough projects to put together a respectable shop also including a vertical mill, a band saw, a surface grinder, and a camelback drill press, all in varying states of neglect. If you are still on the prowl, I would be happy to keep an eye out.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I just rebuilt my Leblond 13" regal this spring! If she's 3 phase which i'm pretty sure she is.... id run a VFD its quite simple to wire up, there cheaper than static and rotary converters (and make no noise lol), plus they allow you to set up variable motor speeds, ramped start and stop, overload protection, remote control switchs or you can use the box it's self, and motor braking ( think emergency stop!) my leblond had a 2hp motor and i think the vfd cost me about $120 off ebay ( i just used the cheap chinese one and its working great) ..... i used 220v input it uses DC current to power the motor ( which the motor doesn't know the difference)

vfd's are awesome for threading because you dont have to disengage the half nuts just slam the switch in reverse... they will ramp down the motor and reverse smoothly and you can set how quickly they ramp down (i set mine between 2.5 to 3 seconds thats full rpm to stop )

Beware the programing is slightly confusing at first and the book isnt translated the best but there are plenty of tourals out there to set them up

but if your set on a rotary converter i have one brand new in box ill let go pretty cheap (but to be honest its hard to beat a VFD) i decided against

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Research is definitely needed here.

I think I saw it mentioned that this was a 480v motor. Is it a single voltage motor or does the nameplate say 240/480?

If the motor can run on 240, then you should be able to find a single phase input VFD and be happy.

If it's a straight 480v motor, I believe you have a little more to consider. First off, you cannot make a drive with 240v single phase input produce 480v output. Your choices are few and expensive. One option is to find a transformer that you can use to step up the 240 to 480. Then you will need a drive that you can disable the phase loss detection feature on. This will allow the drive to operate without showing a fault due to the third phase being missing. The drive will have to be larger than what is normally required for that size motor as well due to the increased current caused by the missing phase.

The previously mentioned phase converters are also options obviously.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    If its a 480 you should be able to change the leads to low voltage 220.... but you may have to open the motor up to check the wiring..... my leblond wiring was so old any color and/or markings on wires were gone. Bigger question is what is the motor specs? Volts/phase/amps/ and if shes wired high or low voltage

However a VFD will address all these issues but the motor must be a 3 phase motor and being a 16in lathe id be really suprised if its a single phase

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Will probably go the VFD route if possible. I'll get the motor info when I get home tonight.

We unloaded it, filled up all the oilers last night and started spraying it down with PB Blaster. I think it tips 2500+ lbs.

A setup like this...

[video=youtube;WXIFmLeKATI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXIFmLeKATI[/video]

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    vfd's are awesome for threading because you dont have to disengage the half nuts just slam the switch in reverse... they will ramp down the motor and reverse smoothly and you can set how quickly they ramp down (i set mine between 2.5 to 3 seconds thats full rpm to stop )

Do you have your motor current setting in the VFD set higher than rated current on the motor? Typically doing that with anything other than a "long" ramp time would trip the overcurrent protection in the VFD. I know with mine, with the current set 20% over name-plate current on the motor and a 5 second ramp and can't go directly from FWD to REV without tripping it.

Just to be clear, the VFD is capable of that, but it's a motor protection setting that prevents it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Do you have your motor current setting in the VFD set higher than rated current on the motor? Typically doing that with anything other than a "long" ramp time would trip the overcurrent protection in the VFD. I know with mine, with the current set 20% over name-plate current on the motor and a 5 second ramp and can't go directly from FWD to REV without tripping it.

Just to be clear, the VFD is capable of that, but it's a motor protection setting that prevents it.
    I just checked my settings im 3.5 sec currently on both accel and de-accel and not tripping the overload.... however you can install a braking resistor to decrease it further... im at default 20% over current...
    Keep in mind im a smaller motor and i stay in the lower to mid range on my head stock... My vfd is roughly 40% over sided for my motor and tend to only peak at 3.6 amps and run at 1.8 to 2.1 amps so its not really working that hard

and can adjust frequincy between 30 to 90hz so that helps prevent some gear changes... just to throw it out there you can safely overclock a 3ph motor 200% for extra rpm..however make sure you have good bearings if you go that high.... the lower your motor frequincy/rpm the higher your amp draw too slow you'll burn that girl up 30hz to 90hz is a good safe range 60hz is stock in the US.

However i cant argue what ramps speeds will trip the overload and it will vary alot on the size of motor... and im still very much testing what my cheap vfd can do... it hasnt trip the overload yet but i bet you im right on the line (its just a reset button if you do trip for those wondering) (at some point ill be adding a braking resistor because i want a 1sec or less emergency stop) the standard ramps are a whole diffrent story

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I just checked my settings im 3.5 sec currently on both accel and de-accel and not tripping the overload.... however you can install a braking resistor to decrease it further... im at default 20% over current...
    Keep in mind im a smaller motor and i stay in the lower to mid range on my head stock... My vfd is roughly 40% over sided for my motor and tend to only peak at 3.6 amps and run at 1.8 to 2.1 amps so its not really working that hard

and can adjust frequincy between 30 to 90hz so that helps prevent some gear changes... just to throw it out there you can safely overclock a 3ph motor 200% for extra rpm..however make sure you have good bearings if you go that high.... the lower your motor frequincy/rpm the higher your amp draw too slow you'll burn that girl up 30hz to 90hz is a good safe range 60hz is stock in the US.

However i cant argue what ramps speeds will trip the overload and it will vary alot on the size of motor... and im still very much testing what my cheap vfd can do... it hasnt trip the overload yet but i bet you im right on the line (its just a reset button if you do trip for those wondering) (at some point ill be adding a braking resistor because i want a 1sec or less emergency stop) the standard ramps are a whole diffrent story

What model of vfd are you using?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom