• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I've been testing and building AR's for several years now.
    I've become interested in a precision bolt gun.

I have a lot of .223 ammo and was thinking a .223 bolt gun would be a nice addidtion to start with.
    The other side of that is a .308 would be more "effective" at longer distances should the need arise.

Looking at Savage model 10's and Remington 700's
    Something along the lines of the Tactical's.

I know I can add over time and most likely will become obssessed with it.:D

Another option I like is the Savage Hog Hunter.

Any advise is appreciated.

I have limited funds to start off. About $600-$700 initially.
    I have plenty of glass at this time so optics are good to go.
    Thanks,
    Dave

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really like my savage 10fp . The standard factory stocks are kinda sucky but the can be made decent. I hate tosend people to another forum but check out Savage Shooters - Home. there's a ton of info over there with all kinds of modifications.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Define precision. And a little more about what you *actually* plan to do with the rifle. Buying a rifle solely for "what if" scenarios wind up being a waste of money 99.99% of the time.

The Savage 10FP is a good place to start, and is availalbe for both of the cartridges you mention. The Savage F/TR is another good choice, just depends on what your plans are.

Are you wanting to buy and off the rack rifle or are you wanting to build it?

If you want "precision" and want to build, start with a Savage Target Action. Then call McGowen and get a barrel made to your specs. You can send your action to McGowen and have them install it, or you can buy a few tools and do it yourself. If you're only going to do the one, just send in the action. Then pick your favorite stock and screw it to the action. I bet you can come in for under $1000 and have exactly what you want the first time.

And I guarantee you that bore will be much easier to clean, and you have a much better chance of the rifle being more accurate than one off the rack.

I have a 24" Savage 110FP in .308 Win. Average groups with FGMM, Win Supreme Match, or my handloads go about 3/4"-1" from sandbags... my hope for this rifle is to find a handload that will go 3/8" to 1/2". The *worst* group from by McGowen barrel .358 WSSM (Savage action) was 1.2" - and that was during load development. After load development, groups are running 0.4" to 0.8" -- with hunting bullets, not match bullets.

shadow65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Didn't mean to throw anybody off with the "What if scenario".
    However, if I have a rifle with decent accuracy, it will do whatever it is needed to do.
    I'm not looking into competiton at this time.
    I would like an out of box rifle capable of sub MOA with match ammo.
    Range would be 500 yards or less.

Would also like something manuverable for coyotes.

Dave N

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The Savage Hog Hunter sounds like it will fill your bill. If I was you that is what I would get and use it. Some say the stock sucks. The one I shot was in 308 and kept shots in a one inch group. With the proper bullet and powder you cold take out any thing that walks in the U.S.A. with it. Last time I looked in to one it was less than $500. If you don't like the stock you can always replace it with something you like. Same with the trigger. There are all sorts of after market stuff made for the Savage. Good luck with what ever you decide.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'd take the .223 for coyotes.

OK, so in addition to the ones already listed (Hog hunter, 10FP, F/TR (probably too much $$$ for your price range), and the Remington), I'd look at the Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine too. The .223 will be good out to 500 yards, but make sure you get a 1:9 or faster twist so you can use heavy bullets for that range.

Mossberg (never shot one, can't comment) just announced a MPV Varmint and Predator rifles in 5.56 that uses AR magazines.

Mossberg & Sons | MVP

18.5", 20", and 24" barrels. It's got my attention.

shadow65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I'm looking hard at both the precision carbine and the hog hunter.
    Thing I don't care for with the hog hunter is the lack of a detachable mag. Although, with the current climate, might be safer with the built in box.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd personally take the 11 Hog Hunter or 10FP-SR over the 11 Precision Carbine.

The stock on the Hog Hunter is tupperware crap and would do well to be replaced at your earliest convenience, but the 1:9 barrel will shoot 68/69gr ammo very well and should also shoot 75gr HPBT/77gr SMK well also.

If you want DBM, you can always give CDI a ring down the road...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I used to have a Browning Medalion A-Bolt in .223, but the wood was so beautiful that I never took it to the woods. So I sold it to a hunting buddy.

Top Bottom