• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I picked up a Marlin XT-22RO at Bradis today. Headed to go shoot it now :-). Saw a Savage Mk II there but decided I liked the Marlin a little more.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Headed towards Atterbury to shoot it, but when I got about 3/4 there it started to rain, blah.

We'll see how reliable this Marlin is, some people reported issues extracting cases while others say theirs works beautifully. We'll have to wait and see :).

Worst case, I'll trade it in towards a Savage Mk II if I'm not happy with it. Didn't spend a lot of money on it :).

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Headed towards Atterbury to shoot it, but when I got about 3/4 there it started to rain, blah.

We'll see how reliable this Marlin is, some people reported issues extracting cases while others say theirs works beautifully. We'll have to wait and see :).

Worst case, I'll trade it in towards a Savage Mk II if I'm not happy with it. Didn't spend a lot of money on it :).

It is a covered range. And it isn't like storms have been long lately. :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anybody have a 22 LR Rifle that is Bolt-Action that they love/would recommend?

I know 3 INGOers who all have Savage MII FV-SRs and they love them.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/202993-my_new_22lr_build.html

Savage_22_005.JPG

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Haha, yeah, I probably should have gotten the Savage, but I guess that's what I get for gun shopping after being awake 30+ hours :).

Only paid just shy of $200 for this rifle, so as long as it doesn't jam on every round I won't be upset haha. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with both rifles and then will just keep whichever one I like the most.

I took some of my crappier old .22 LR rounds and ran them through it just to see if they fed well/extracted well and didn't have any issues but I'll have to get to a range and actually fire some rounds off to know for sure. Ultimately as long as it's fairly reliable (considering the price) I'll be happy with it.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I need to pick up a 5 round mag for my Savage Mark II. I have two 10 rounders and they are annoying to carry slung while out squirrel hunting. Digs into my back something terrible. It is a good shooter though.

I was carrying it, because it is worlds lighter than my 39a, when I'm doing a long hike with occasional squirrel shooting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For ^this^ reason I'm contemplating the Marlin XT-22TR. The 5 round magazines aren't a total solution. Cheaper than another rifle though.

I have the MkII-BV... it's really heavier that I would like to carry around squirrel hunting. My Glenfield 25 is the right weight... I was planning to refinish it and give it to my son, but he's left eye dominant, and he's shooting rifle left handed, so now I'm torn.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have a Savage Arms Stevens Model 87a that I've had for .... well, as long as I can remember as well but wanted something that was bolt action which is why I was looking at the XT-22 and MKII as well as CZ and the Ruger.

My 87a is tube-fed and semi-auto but you can also put it into "bolt action" mode where it's basically single fire and you have to eject the cartridge/load a new one like you would with a bolt but it's ... eh ... not exactly ergonomic to use in that fashion like an actual bolt-action rifle is.

I'd love to have the Ruger but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend right now and I wasn't sure about the 'rotary magazine'. The CZ was also a bit more than I wanted to spend.

The Mk2 was right at about what I was willing to spend, but I was wanting to get a scope for it as well. Do I feel like I got a crappier rifle because it was cheaper and came with a scope? No, so long as it does what it's supposed to do haha.

The XT-22RO came with a scope (admittedly not an amazing one, but should be fine for a .22 LR) and was cheaper than the MK2 which are the primary reasons I bought the set-up.

I did some researching on the iPhone while standing in the shop and I don't think I'll be unhappy with my purchase. I'll have to feed some different ammo through it and see what it likes/dislikes the most and go from there.

Now I just need to find somewhere that I can shoot that is close. Anybody know if you can shoot a .22 LR at an indoor range such as Indy Trading Post (obviously they would be the best to ask if I wanted to go there). I know I can shoot .22 LR out of a pistol there, but not sure if the gun simply being a rifle (although .22 LR) means it cannot be shot at an indoor range.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Called Indy Trading Post and they said that shooting my Marlin XT-22RO is fine since it's only shooting .22 LR.

Yay, that means if I want to pump some shots through to alleviate some stress, I don't have to go very far (about 5 minutes with good traffic)!

Certainly cheaper than blasting rounds through my 9mm handguns :).

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I shoot a .22lr Marlin at ITP. Love the staff and facility. I think the range is a little too small to zero a rifle, but it is close. I wish I could get there more often.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to hit Atterbury to zero it in. I'm picky and the scope wasn't attached exactly how I liked so I re-attached it and, as such, will obviously need to sight it in for sure.

I'm just happy to know that I can hit ITP to pump some rounds through it without having to go all the way to Atterbury since I live on the south side.

How long have you had your Marlin .22lr, and has it been reliable/consistent for you? I read that they had some issues with quality control after they moved to the new factory but that was last year so I'm hoping that's all cleared up, haha.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I have two CZ 452's, CZ 455, and two Savage MK II's and accuracy is great with all of them. With what I have I think the quality of the CZ's
    is a little better. The two complaints I have with the Savages is that neither have their barrels floated as advertised and the magazine floor plates are a little to thin for my taste. Both are very good rifles and I wouldn't hesiate to buy either again. Savage has some fine looking laminated thumb hole stocks and I like CZ's Lux stocks also.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I have both and the Savage doesn't get used nearly as much as my CZ. plus my CZ has very nice open sights along with the scope mount.

Top Bottom