• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Who does anyone think will show up at IU with an active shooter? A college campus that large should be able to respond quickly and reasonably to such a threat. Since IUPD does not have their own SWAT team, or even patrol rifles as far as I know, BPD is the responding agency. I find it hilarious that there is so much fervor over a Ford F550 with steel plating on it. No offensive weaponry, no water canons, nothing. If you can justify the existence of a SWAT Team, then I find it difficult to refuse them a safe transport vehicle. Because when the SHTF, it is the SWAT Team (and any other police officers) that's going in. It is a body bunker on wheels. We don't think twice of a team using a body bunker. The truck gets the team to the scene safely and the body bunker gets them from the truck to the suspect. Armor is armor.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    And when those protesters are caught in a dangerous situation they will be squealing for the police to come and save their butts. Hopefully for consistency’s sake, when SWAT shows up in this new equipment the protesters will say: Oh no you can’t use that thing to save us, go away, we are afraid of the military like presence and save the police a lot of time and effort trying to save such idiots.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who does anyone think will show up at IU with an active shooter? A college campus that large should be able to respond quickly and reasonably to such a threat. Since IUPD does not have their own SWAT team, or even patrol rifles as far as I know, BPD is the responding agency. I find it hilarious that there is so much fervor over a Ford F550 with steel plating on it. No offensive weaponry, no water canons, nothing. If you can justify the existence of a SWAT Team, then I find it difficult to refuse them a safe transport vehicle. Because when the SHTF, it is the SWAT Team (and any other police officers) that's going in. It is a body bunker on wheels. We don't think twice of a team using a body bunker. The truck gets the team to the scene safely and the body bunker gets them from the truck to the suspect. Armor is armor.

I'm not sure people are opposing this so much because they think it's an offensive vehicle. It's the cost and justification.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Risk is a function of probability and severity of outcome.

Show me the probability in Bloomington. Let .gov have the burden of proof to justify this toy which was purchased because Timmy down the block had one.

Remember the neighboring Morgan County Sheriff's Department attempted to justify their toy based on returning veterans from Southwest Asia. What probability is there of Bloomington needing an armored truck?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

Show me the probability in Bloomington. Let .gov have the burden of proof to justify this toy which was purchased because Timmy down the block had one.

Remember the neighboring Morgan County Sheriff's Department attempted to justify their toy based on returning veterans from Southwest Asia. What probability is there of Bloomington needing an armored truck?

go up on pigeon hill and stay the night.....

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I was working for BPD when a guy tried to blow up his apartment and then killed his ex-girlfriend. When we found him and contained him in the woods he shot at us. We had to have IPD SWAT drive their Peacekeeper down so we could get closer to the guy. But I'm sure that is the only time BPD officers have been shot at and have no need for an armored vehicle.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I don't care if it's a transformer and carries tactical nukes. Is the cost justified based on the violence in Bloomington and Monroe county?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm not sure people are opposing this so much because they think it's an offensive vehicle. It's the cost and justification.
    Sadly, the Bearcat is about as cheap an armored truck you are going to find. Justification? They can justify the team's existence but have trouble justifying a vehicle to transport and use as a mobile hard point? That seems illogical to me. It is certainly NOT a toy unlike some other SWAT equipment can be.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was working for BPD when a guy tried to blow up his apartment and then killed his ex-girlfriend. When we found him and contained him in the woods he shot at us. We had to have IPD SWAT drive their Peacekeeper down so we could get closer to the guy. But I'm sure that is the only time BPD officers have been shot at and have no need for an armored vehicle.

That's a great use for one. If we can show similar events happening on average a couple of times a year or so, I'd be a lot more open to such an expense.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    What WOULD be an appropriate cost vs. risk for you?

I covered it a few pages back a little more clearly. But basically something like an average of two events per year which caused grave danger for officers, and which danger was greatly reduced by the presence of a mobile hard point. Taking it on SWAT runs because it's sitting there doesn't count.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't live in Bloomington any longer so I don't have a say in how they spend their money.

You paid State and Federal taxes. I highly doubt Bloomington is self sufficient. Besides, you have to fight the battle where it is. If call one government on the carpet for blowing money, then it gives other governments pause. So if they truly need Bearcats, or new office furniture, they'll be a lot more careful about laying out their justification. Making government justify their purchases doesn't hurt the country, state or county.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You paid State and Federal taxes. I highly doubt Bloomington is self sufficient. Besides, you have to fight the battle where it is. If call one government on the carpet for blowing money, then it gives other governments pause. So if they truly need Bearcats, or new office furniture, they'll be a lot more careful about laying out their justification. Making government justify their purchases doesn't hurt the country, state or county.

I don't agree they are "blowing money." Keep up the good fight in trying to prevent the purchase.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I covered it a few pages back a little more clearly. But basically something like an average of two events per year which caused grave danger for officers, and which danger was greatly reduced by the presence of a mobile hard point. Taking it on SWAT runs because it's sitting there doesn't count.
    You know that pretty much ANY time a negotiator is needed at the scene, they use an armored vehicle to get close to the target location and the negotiator will communicate with them from inside the mobile bunker. That way they can see first hand what is going on and the PA will reach inside the structure. The fact that they were not getting shot at does not negate the effectiveness of a heavy vehicle. Nothing like approaching a high-risk warrant in safety and able to drive very close and deploy quickly to reduce risk. What you ask is easy to show. However, what the detractors of this purchase are mainly focused on is the "militarization" of BPD, which is a bunch of silliness.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You know that pretty much ANY time a negotiator is needed at the scene, they use an armored vehicle to get close to the target location and the negotiator will communicate with them from inside the mobile bunker. That way they can see first hand what is going on and the PA will reach inside the structure. The fact that they were not getting shot at does not negate the effectiveness of a heavy vehicle. Nothing like approaching a high-risk warrant in safety and able to drive very close and deploy quickly to reduce risk. What you ask is easy to show. However, what the detractors of this purchase are mainly focused on is the "militarization" of BPD, which is a bunch of silliness.

So has BPD had a lot of these events. I can see the general usefulness easily enough. What I don't see is the history of these types of events in Bloomington. And apparently Bloomington is having trouble either finding them or communicating them.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    go up on pigeon hill and stay the night.....

So has BPD had a lot of these events. I can see the general usefulness easily enough. What I don't see is the history of these types of events in Bloomington. And apparently Bloomington is having trouble either finding them or communicating them.

do you live there or have family that lives there?????????

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    do you live there or have family that lives there?????????

Is that that government housing over on the west side of downtown, up from where Bender's is or was?

I don' know that Bloomington is like Chicago or even Indianapolis but it's not like the Mayberry the chamber of commerce likes to promote it as.

Top Bottom