• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    So I've been contemplating about taking the plunge and getting my first 1911 for a birthday present for myself but I'm kind of on the fence... My current EDC is a G30 and I would like to get into a different caliber that is a little less expensive to shoot... Okay so here are the things I'm looking for...

A 1911 in maybe a 9mm caliber, in a smaller frame ie. Para Warthog, Kimber Raptor or maybe a mid sized 1911 in a 9mm caliber...

I have no idea where to begin.... Anybody have any suggestions other than the 2 I have listed above?? I'm not the most experienced with the 1911 platform but have shot them on several occasions (45ACP, 10mm) and I have seen 9mm 1911s before but can't for the life of me remember brand or model.... Help me out here INGO PLEASE!!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

INDY45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    I've been thinking the same thing,Birthday right around the corner and maybe a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm flavor.Thats a little less on the pocket book and still makes a fine CCW.And Happy Birthday:rockwoot:

INDY45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    Go to springfields web sight and click on 1911 pistols and you will see the EMP and it is very nice don't have one yet but have shot them and they are very nice in size and shape ,also good on recoil it is a fine weapon.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    At that price I may as well stick to a single caliber and get a Para Warthog or Kimber Raptor... Have been watching reviews of the EMP on YouTube from several different people having very similar issues with FTE and FTF.... After sending it back to Springfield for fine tuning it runs flawlessly though... Still undecided

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Happy "B" day. Treat yourself to a nice 1911 but why make the jump to such a wonderful platform and do a 9mm. I know....cheap to shoot but still, 45 ACP all the way.

It's your "B" day so buy what you really want. I get hives thinking about this...;)

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    Afaik, the Kimber Raptor isn't offered in 9mm. I've looked into the 1911 9mm market for a potential future purchase. I like a few of the offerings from Dan Wesson, but they're in the 1300+ range.

Eskion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Hammond
    I wouldn't mind a 1911, but first I think I'm going to get a CX4 and an AR-15. Then a Sig Sauer P226, and finally my 1911 :D

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I love my 9mm 1911, but if you don't handload, you probably shouldn't buy one, and if you do, make sure it has a ramped barrel. The Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded Target 9mm would probably be the cheapest option. (also, avoid Taurus at all costs)

I have the STI Spartan 9mm, which is a FINE gun, but it does not run with any flat point bullets. I handload all of my ammo so I use 135 grain and 160 grain round nose bullets.

I have never tried factory ammo in it, but I suspect that it'd be problematic.

If you want a 1911 that runs, stick to .45. A 9mm 1911, even if it runs on factory ammo, is purely a range toy.

The only exception is the Springfield Armory EMP, because its action is shortened to make up the shorter length of the 9mm cartridge. I wish they'd make a full size with the EMP-length action, because the EMP is an awesome gun.

I've shot over 5k rounds through my Spartan in the past two years, and I really love shooting it. It's so much fun at the range. I don't want you to think that because 9mm 1911s are finicky, that you shouldn't buy one. They're great; they're just NOT self defense firearms.

If you don't have a 1911 at all right now, you should probably just get a .45 now, and put the 9mm on your list.

Also, if you have a carry gun, I'd recommend against a compact gun. The full size is definitely more fun to shoot.

Top Bottom