• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There you go. I do like The Judge, especially the long cylinders. If the rifling is suspect though then for my purpose that's no good
    If we knew each other in real life, this would be a different conversation because I would know more about you and you would know me. In person I have mostly had these Judge conversations with people at least half my age. A relative coming to visit this weekend was one and a friend of his as well. What I found interesting was how they came to know the Judge. Taurus, Hollywood and the gun shops advertise these guns and do it well.

All I said to them was "that's an interesting choice, why do you think that is the gun to own as your only and first handgun?" They answer and I ask more questions. Questions they usually can't answer. Then I answer all the questions with facts on why I would not make that choice.

They usually get it once they are educated. If not, not my problem, you will not be shot with one at my house.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with the guy in the video, I think it would be a great nightstand gun, or maybe in a carjacking situation. I won't use it in a carry situation, I have better alternatives for carry. One advantage it has for home defense (for me) is that it is short, easy to wield in tight quarters. I live in a SMALL apartment with neighbors all around me, just walls away. I far prefer having 4 rounds going down the barrel than the number i would get with a 12 gauge. Plus...a 12 gauge simply won't fit in my nightstand. That may sound silly, but in a place as small as mine, I don't want my guns laying around all over the place.

What do I carry? A S&W 1911 SC E series Bobtail in .45 acp. Why? Because of all the guns I own and have shot, it is simply the most accurate gun IN MY HAND....that I have ever shot. I KNOW that when I pull the trigger, I will hit what I am aiming at. And a .45 round in self defense ammo, is a devastating round. I have carried a 9mm's, a 357 magnum's, 38's, and even a 22 magnum at different times. I just choose to carry what instills the most confidence in me now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    220gr is super light?

Without context, nope. It's a fairly standard weight for anti-people .45 Loads.

If you have more surface area though, you need more mass to push it through something. So, in context, yes, too light. Or it opens too much, take your pick.

So, what happens if one of those petals contacts bone? Does it upset the apple cart and cause the bullet to veer or tumble? Does it sheer the petal off, reducing mass and thus penetration? Does the petal bend, causing it to veer? Or do you think the petal will be sufficient to break a bone and continue on? Do you think these are valid concerns in a self defense cartridge?

Once again, I'll use proven bullets that pass test proven to be an analogue to real shootings, supplemented by data from real shootings. If you choose to beta test based on YouTube videos, that's up to you, and I'll be interested to see how it works.

Does any sort of professional/military agency carry this gun?

Or the boutique ammo?

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    BehindBlueI's. So it seems you are or were in LE. What round killed more people where you worked. When I lived in Broward County Florida the .380 claimed more lives than any other round.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BehindBlueI's. So it seems you are or were in LE. What round killed more people where you worked. When I lived in Broward County Florida the .380 claimed more lives than any other round.

I gave up keeping caliber stats because there were just so many variables in terms of ammunition used, shot placement, distance, etc. that I didn't feel adequate to make anything useful of the data I had.

I'd guess in raw numbers, lately either the 9mm or the .40. .380 seems to be becoming less popular among the criminals who do most of the shootings. Just a guess, though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On whos stats do you base this statement. You do know this thread requires top of the heap stats to back up any claims don't you.

Seriously? Bwframe leaves the door open for a smartass answer, I capitalize on the opportunity, and you are running me sh*t about statistics?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This thread will get me to mega poster status. dontfeed

Coming soon, to a bridge near you...

troll_under_the_bridge_by_dantevirgil-d6hxn2w.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    CDNN has deals on the Judge for those who feel the need to own one. I think with a sling, bipod and a red dot these may be the way to go. Thread it for a flash hider, add some rail and a light. Boom goes the dynamite!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I think it needs solid brass .410 shells, FFFg, lube cookies and 300+ grain pure lead paper patched hollow pointed flat faced wadcutters.
    :laugh:
    Now that would be some fun watermelon slayers!!!!!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    135 replies to the post and I still haven't seen anyone volunteer to be shot with a Judge, even with the "totally useless and completely non-lethal bird-shot".

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    135 replies to the post and I still haven't seen anyone volunteer to be shot with a Judge, even with the "totally useless and completely non-lethal bird-shot".

Occasional hyperbole aside, I don't really think that this is the actual argument, but rather one of why a person would pick something for defense when other options are clearly better. Case in point, 9mm, .357, .41mag, .44mag, .45LC, and .45 ACP are all going to launch bullets of at least double, perhaps approaching triple the weight at higher velocities, with more predictable results upon impact. Of course, launching .45LC from the Judge comes with the primary disadvantage of being significantly less compact in critical areas than a dedicated platform. As for me, as previously stated, I am strongly considering a Judge for farm pests, but it still would not be my first choice for personal protection. At the same time, I would not feel naked before the forces of evil with one, and would definitely prefer it to most any non-firearm equipment or to a number of other firearms, including but not limited to .25 ACP and .32 ACP. I would find it much easier to come down on the Judge's side for a one size fits all if I were in the situation of having to deal with farm pests in addition to personal protection and could afford only one gun. As it is, I have more than one gun for the same reason that a golfer has more than one club and would not, as a matter of preference, drag his bag around the course using only his super one-club-fits-all-needs club while letting the right tool for the right job sit in the bag.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As for me, as previously stated, I am strongly considering a Judge for farm pests, but it still would not be my first choice for personal protection. At the same time, I would not feel naked before the forces of evil with one.

I know of one guy that keeps one by his 4 wheeler for just such a purpose...He has it in a shoulder rig and when he heads out to do chores he just slips it over his shoulder..I know another guy that keeps a .410 Snake Charmer (the shotgun, not the derringer) on his 4 wheeler for the same purpose and my wife has a Snake Charmer (the shotgun, not the derringer) she keeps close at hand at our little farm...

The .410 really shines in that role IMHO.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well, there you have it. If people don't volunteer to be shot with it, it's got to be GtG.

Real quick, do you mind volunteering to have people huck baseballs at you?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom