• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I think Jesus said something about calling down 10 legions of angels to fight and protect him.

I wouldnt need need a gun either, with that kind of protection

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I think Jesus said something about calling down 10 legions of angels to fight and protect him.

I wouldnt need need a gun either, with that kind of protection

Christ's own example regarding combat and self-defense is applicable only to the extent that an individual is called to Christ's level of sacrifice. His point about having 12 legions of angels at beck and call was to ensure that no one for a second believed that He was being tried or taken to the Cross unwillingly. And also, possibly, to keep His followers from attempting a futile rescue.

Although we have the responsibility to guard and protect our persons and families, there is a sense in which we can be called to willingly relinquish the right to self defense if it furthers the Kingdom. Paul and most of the Apostles, for example, did not wage war or encourage any follower to do so even against an overwhelmingly evil government. In their case, they were called instead to die as witnesses rather than combat evil men in a physical way. This has been true throughout history (William Tyndale in England, the victims of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre in 1572 in France) and even into today (China, the Middle East).

As such, I'm not aware that a Christian can Biblically say that he can always defend himself or that he must be a pacifist (though some do claim one or the other) in every situation. Honestly, there is far more that is ignored about how the Church is to conduct itself regarding the treatment of other Christians than any passage regarding defense against those outside of it. There is much praise from David and others in the Psalms for God's grace in providing them strength in war (as Chubbs pointed out), which would indicate that total pacifism in all circumstances, at least, can be reasonably eliminated.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well said, Rock. Going back to Matthew 5, Christ said "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and curse you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake." Of course if we bring it upon ourselves, well... And we may be called upon to sacrifice for His name. In either case we are to endure. But outside of these examples, I don't find anything prohibiting defense or security of our families. However, I think we all agree that there is also no place for being the antagonist in any confrontation.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't think the bibles a valid source for an argument, on any side of the issue

I think a few things (and there are plenty more) have been pointed out that show there is wisdom to be found in this matter from the Bible. But if you disagree, then that's your prerogative. No one will discredit you for your opinion.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I am religious but if someone brings religion into a legal discussion even if it is inline with my beliefs I end the conversation there. If they cant maintain an argument that applies to everyone I feel they are grasping at straws.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So I have been asked, "If you are a follower of Christ, and He went unarmed, shouldn't you?"

I thought there was something in the Bible about blessed are those who are soldiers for they protect the weak. But, I cannot find it. I'd also like to respond with, "My army of angels come in .45 caliber," but that wouldn't help.

So, can anyone help?

Thanks!

Robert

I'm always intrigued when people try to make a case "from" Scripture by blatantly reading something "into" Scripture, and specifically about the person of our Lord. If I was you I could not resist asking these folks "how do you know Jesus wasn't armed?"

I digress. There's really not one direct Scripture to answer the question (terrible hermeneutics aside). There is, however, a lot of Scripture that indicates Jesus had no rebuke to give those that were armed for personal protection. In John 18:10 we find Peter armed and never rebuked for being armed. And in Luke 11:21 we find Jesus teaching in such a way that He assumes folks are armed in their homes to protect against threats, again without rebuke.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Luke 22:36

"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    TakeTheBait.jpg

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks to all for participating. I hope that the discussion of The Bible has not offended anyone. I did not realize that discussing the text of an ancient book (even a religious one) could be in violation of the forum rules. Picking a religious fight wasn't my intention, asking for advice from others who may know more than I was. As was pointed out, many of those who oppose the possession of firearms will use Jesus as an example of why we shouldn't arm ourselves. So why not discuss it?

I do have one other small question that I hope is less controversial; What does IBTL and QFT stand for?

Thanks again and God Bless the USA and our rights of freedom.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    QFT = Quoted for Truth. Basically an indication that "I really agree with this statement!"
    IBTL = In before the lock. Since INGO has rules against religious or racial discussions/threads there is the assumption that threads with those topics can be shut down or "locked" at any time.

EDIT: Got sniped :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom