• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Of personal firearms, it would have to be my 1911. As for full out most deadly with would have to be a M4. I'd like to thank Ft. Benning Infantry School for that.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    sampo;4149514What is YOUR ONE GUN you are good with? Be it a handgun or long gun.[/QUOTE said:
    I have an inexpensive, no name, single shot 12 gauge shotgun that I cannot miss with whether the target is stationary or moving on the ground or air. I have had this thing since my early teens, which was some time ago... It might have cost $60.00. I actually quit shooting with it because it was too easy.

In my later teens, I got an HR .22 revolver that became a never miss.

I think that it matters little what kind you have as long as you shoot regularly. Coming from rural Indiana, that is all there was to do and do we did, often. As long as it is able to go bang every time, any shortcomings are compensated for through familiarity.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Springfield loaded 1911. I've had it for over 10 years, have thousands of rounds down range, and its the most natural pointing firearm I've ever owned. Unfortunately, SAO isn't allowed for duty carry for me. As such I carry my Sig P220 or my Ruger GP100.

Rifle wise, I'm only really proficient with the AR-15 family. The standard gov't M16A2 being the only rifle that I have any formal training or much experience with that I can own as a civilian.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Right now i have a SKS that is surprisingly accurate. This past weekend we were at a friends private lake and i had a 50 yard shot on a moving muskrat that we all thought "damn that was nice".

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Uh, unless you're intentionally shooting into the ceiling or floor, there is NO such thing as 'wasting money' at the range. Every trigger pull, even a dud round, FtF, FtE, etc. is one more bit of experience, one more lesson in recoil management, one more lesson on getting right back on target, one more lesson on trigger control, one more lesson on eliminating anticipation.

As for the OP's question - Everything I pick up is that 'one' gun. :yesway: ;)
    I couldn't have said it better. When the SHTF, if you have not practiced at the range and are able to hit your target, you are DOA.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My 4506-1. Out of all my firearms non scoped this one gets me the most on target and feels the best in my hands. Out of my scoped it would be my Marlin 60. Even thought the scope that I put on it was completely off it took at least 150 rounds to get it center mass.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    To hard (and too boring) to have to pick just one. :)
    On shotguns, it would have to be my old Ithaca/SKB XL900. I just don't seem to miss birds with that gun.
    Rifle and pistol are a no-brainer. After 22 1/2 years in the Army Infantry, they would be my Beretta M9 and my DPMS AR-15.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Rifle would be a Contender in 223. It is a hoot to shoot, very accurate.

Hand gun would be a Browning High Power in 9mm. It too is very accurate. The 9mm belonged to my Dad.

He gave it to me when I shot it better than he could. After keeping all rounds from two mags on paper at 25 yards the first time I fired it. I went to hand it back and he said keep it. You are better with it than I will ever be.

I don't carry it. I carry a Glock, I am not bad with it but I am better with the Browning.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Handgun, without a doubt, Kimber 45 ACP custom II

Rifle, Garand 30/06, reach out and touch someone, that is reach way out.

Rifle, close in? Winchester 94, 30/30, every shot does count.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What if it is a +10 sword with 1d6 fire damage!:rockwoot: FTW:rockwoot:

Seriously though, I agree with the concept but we all know that we have that one piece that feels more natural and shoots better for us. I get a little warm just thinking about my special companion....:wwub:
    Wait, are you talking about the one that's for fightin' or the one that's for fun? :):

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I like having several different types of guns just for more variety at the range..but I would have to say my go to gun would have to be my H&K P30.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't buy it.

Most people I know with ONE gun are only slightly competent. Why? Because they bought one to protect themselves and they shoot four boxes a year at a control range, never practice, never dry fire...

^^^This^^^ :ingo:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't buy it.

Most people I know with ONE gun are only slightly competent. Why? Because they bought one to protect themselves and they shoot four boxes a year at a control range, never practice, never dry fire...

I agree. Too many folks with one, and only one gun buy them and maybe shoot them once if they are lucky, then they are put in a box in the closet and largely forgotten. I had a contractor comment on seeing my sidearm that he had a gun. Got it years ago but never has shot it. He kept it in his nightstand just in case. Just in case what? Maybe just in case someone breaks in and then shows him how to load it and shoot it.

Last week, I overheard an elderly lady at an LGS ask for 8 rounds of .25. She did not want the whole box, but only needed the 8 rounds for protection.

Ok, that said, if I were told through some kind of godly message that tomorrow, I would be in a gun fight and that there was no way to avoid it; what would I carry? I think I'd carry my Glock 23. That seems to be the one that's clicking with me right now.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i thought "beware the man with only one gun" meant he only has one, has no idea what he is doing. my wife's cousin has one a gun, a 357 mag, i asked him how he liked it and he said he loved it, he has had it for years. i asked how often he shoots the 357 loads at the range and he said he has never shot the gun.....then the "beware the man with only one gun" made perfect sense.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i thought "beware the man with only one gun" meant he only has one, has no idea what he is doing.

I've seen people attribute the saying to different folks-- Clint Smith, Col. Cooper, Bill Hickok, etc. The actual words change slightly depending on who you hear it from also-- some say "Fear the man . . . " and others "Beware the man . . ."

Essentially it goes something like "Beware the man with only one gun, because he probably knows how to use it".

The idea was that the guy who spends his time training and practicing on his one gun probably has a better overall understanding of fighting with that gun than someone who spends their time with lots of different makes, models, and variants.

I also take it as a mindset lesson in that the person who spends their time/money on "software" is better prepared than the person who spends their time/money on "hardware".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IThe idea was that the guy who spends his time training and practicing on his one gun probably has a better overall understanding of fighting with that gun than someone who spends their time with lots of different makes, models, and variants.

That's always been my understanding. While I don't stick to one gun, I try to stick with one type of operating system per system.

As such, I may play with other guns at the range, but when I seriously train I train with what I carry. I don't want to find myself "rocking" magazines into my M-16 because I've spent too much time with my AK. Its why I shied away from picking up an H&K, as I still have to maintain proficiency with my Glock and don't want to figure out another magazine release. Its why I'm giving strong consideration to replacing my 650 CIA with an LCR. I'm now so used to my GP100 I find myself instinctively pushing in to release the cylinder instead of forward, etc.

I *used* to be the real one gun guy. I carried my 1911 every day, competed with it, etc and it was my only full sized handgun. Job requirements got in the way, though.

Top Bottom