• ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Okay, guys, need some advice here. I’m bought and sold many firearms through INGO over the years and know that private sales are alnost always the best deals, and there are a lot of good folks on here. But I’m thinking of liquidating my entire collection, and I don’t relish the idea of having to take months to arrange 20+ meetings and negotiations. I’d like to make one reasonable deal…but I’m not desperate for money or something, though, so I don’t want to take a $10k+ collection and sell it all at a massive loss.

What would you do (in central Indiana)? Would Cabelas in Noblesville totally screw me over? 9 Guns in Anderson? Indiana Gun Club? I know I wouldn’t get as much from a shop, but can this be done for a decent percentage of the private sale value?

No cheap junk here, btw…almost all my firearms are in excellent condition and from quality makers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Okay, guys, need some advice here. I’m bought and sold many firearms through INGO over the years and know that private sales are alnost always the best deals, and there are a lot of good folks on here. But I’m thinking of liquidating my entire collection, and I don’t relish the idea of having to take months to arrange 20+ meetings and negotiations. I’d like to make one reasonable deal…but I’m not desperate for money or something, though, so I don’t want to take a $10k+ collection and sell it all at a massive loss.

What would you do (in central Indiana)? Would Cabelas in Noblesville totally screw me over? 9 Guns in Anderson? Indiana Gun Club? I know I wouldn’t get as much from a shop, but can this be done for a decent percentage of the private sale value?

No cheap junk here, btw…almost all my firearms are in excellent condition and from quality makers.
    See if a gun shop near you will do consignment sales. A shop near me will take them in with a consignment fee of 15% of your selling price. You won't sell them all at once, of course, but you do put them all up for sale at once and get your money rolling in when you sell, all without hassle.

Be advised that depending on what type of guns you have, the market might be a little soft right now. That could change really quick, though...especially with the current state of things.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Cabela's may not screw you over, but, you won't get nearly as much as you would on private sales. Sight unseen, average price is approximately 50-60% of retail unless it's a rare item.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Depending on your collection, list it here and require anyone who buys to buy 2 or 3.

That would net you the most money while limiting your meets.

Outside of an auction or consignment at a LGS, that's your best bet.

Some info in this thread from a few weeks ago here.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Big box stores will screw you over pretty good. Gun stores will give you a decent haircut. Private sales will always be your best bet, but will take more time and effort.

What if you grouped everything together in small/medium lots and tried listing here in the Classifieds? Maybe all the hunting rifles together, all the revolvers/pistols together, all the milsurp, all the ARs, all the like calibers, that kind of thing. Set what you feel is a fair price and tell people you won't split the lots. All or nothing. Maybe you could turn 20+ guns into a half-dozen cash transactions?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great minds, etc...
    But good luck finding anyone who wants to buy multiples. Especially if you sell them in lots YOU choose. That could be a tough row to hoe.

Its the same with customized guns. Its easier to strip that accessorized AR and sell the add-ons separately than to try to find the one other guy who wants a gun set up exactly the same way you did.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another idea. Post them all up here. When you get tired of scheduling the meet ups, take whats left and put it on consignment.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    But good luck finding anyone who wants to buy multiples. Especially if you sell them in lots YOU choose. That could be a tough row to hoe.

Meh. Throw in some ammo, optics, accessories, and set a reasonable price, I'll buy anything. :):

The price would be the key. If the OP goes into this with the understanding that gun stores, auction houses and big box stores are going to take 15 - 40% (or more), there's probably room to make nice deals with local folks.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I know you said you don't want to have to arrange different meetings to sell stuff but there really is truly your only best option if you want to try to maximize how much you want to get out of your collection. Selling it as a group you're not going to get what you think you're going to get. Consignment is hit and miss.

Your best realistic option even though you don't want it, is to list them for sale here and try to arrange so that when you do meet someone and you have multiple buyers you can maybe arranged to meet them all at the same time. I did that yesterday selling some reloading stuff. I killed two birds with one stone. It's not hard to do.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My concern is twofold...

1. I may be missing out on a decent private sale. (selfish, I know, and not that I could even afford it right now )

2. Somebody needing to sell an entire collection, and not having time for private sales. (I hope you didn't get sad news from the doc)

That being said, I'm betting that consignment is the best bet for maximizing your sales goes. That is, outside private sales of course.

Good luck however you go about it, and I hope everything is OK.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Take them to a good auction house that is known to sell firearms.
    People pay stupid money at gun auctions.
    Edit,
    And it's a one shot deal, no phone calls from the consignment store of will you take this offer or this offer. Or it taking months or a year for all to sell.
    No endless meetings and the bs that comes with that route of selling yourself.

Drop them off, pickup a check.

I will add, that for the most part. Selling or buying on ingo is about problem free.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My concern is twofold...

1. I may be missing out on a decent private sale. (selfish, I know, and not that I could even afford it right now )

2. Somebody needing to sell an entire collection, and not having time for private sales. (I hope you didn't get sad news from the doc)

That being said, I'm betting that consignment is the best bet for maximizing your sales goes. That is, outside private sales of course.

Good luck however you go about it, and I hope everything is OK.
    Your wife just texted me, she asked if I would remind you in public, that you are "poors"

Top Bottom