Best place to canoe/kayak within 2'ish hours of Morgan Co.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'm also thinking about a kayak trip down Sugar Creek.
    Across the street from my house is Eagle Creek Park. Several places to launch. $6 to get in the park and $3 for the kayak, OR $5 (or usually free since the gate is almost always up) to launch at Eagle Creek Reservoir, but not in the park, just north of Rick's Cafe Boatyard. Only 10hp boats allowed.
    I usually try to get down to Lake Yellowwood once a year, it's free, no boat traffic, a very peaceful paddle. Cecil Harden/Raccoon Lake is a possibility, but never kayaked there, boat traffic could be an issue.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Flat water kayaking, Patoka and paddle back to the old quarry.
    Sugar Creek when the water is up. When the water is low you'll be walking and dragging.
    White River from the public access on Henderson Ford Road to the Paragon public access.

If you really want to do something cool that takes some planning and is a little more than 2 hours out, paddle through downtown Chicago at night.

Kayaking through Chicago.jpg

Dirty Steve

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Slightly out of the two hour window is chain of lakes state park. Has canoe in camp sites and is very first paddle learning friendly. Lakes are connected and normally no dragging for low water.
    Good place to test out equipment for long travels and getting children or the unfamiliar in tune with equipment.

I do not think I would like to do downtown Chicago at night but I rarely cross the Illinois border let alone go into the hood rat Chicago area. Then again that might be one of the safest areas in the city.

I used to be a volunteer to do water testing on Indiana rivers and streams. I still am but just limited on time. One river that always got the best testing was the Big Blue river. I found amphibious creatures there which I do not see in other Indiana waters. Now navigation was tricky with lots of ash trees down across the river last time I went. Maybe the rainwater has flushed some downstream or someone with a chainsaw trimmed them off.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If the river gauge is over 2' the Blue River is fun. Half day is easy, almost a float. Full day is fun. It's been years since I went and boy their prices have gone up!

Reactions: DCR

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    If the river gauge is over 2' the Blue River is fun. Half day is easy, almost a float. Full day is fun. It's been years since I went and boy their prices have gone up!

THAT looks like a lot of fun. I'm saving that for future reference. THX !

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Here's another spot I find intriguing.
    The intersection of 3 states on the Ohio River.
    Note: IL is south of IN

1721398158596.png

Top Bottom