• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Going to take the plunge and get an ACOG. Specifically the TA31F. I'll be putting it in a LaRue qd mount but wondering who has the best deal on these right now. DSG has 15% off ACOGs. So I'm looking at $1,035 and free shipping. Plus the $135 for the mount puts it at $1,170. Don't know if that can be beat without buying used. Any help would be appreciated!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

The Browe looks pretty interesting but one of my main attractions to the ACOG is the lack of a battery.

I had also found that link to the TA31 but that has the donut reticule rather than the TA31F with a chevron.

I have found another site though $952 and free shipping Trijicon ACOG Rifle Scope 4X 32 Red Chevron Matte With TA51 Mount Flattop TA31F | Chucks Guns

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The ACOG is being put on the back burner for now. A combine pulled out in front of me earlier. Happened near the 52/47 intersection in Boone County. Will resume this project at a later date :(

bobertathan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I agree ACOGs are overpriced. Yes the lack of a need for a battery is nice, however, keep in mind that the Tritium has a halflife of 10 years. So 10 years later that sight wont be working as well as it did when you got it especially in low light conditions.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I agree ACOGs are overpriced. Yes the lack of a need for a battery is nice, however, keep in mind that the Tritium has a halflife of 10 years. So 10 years later that sight wont be working as well as it did when you got it especially in low light conditions.
    That's not really a bad thing though. When new they seem to work a little "too well" in that you'll find yourself taping over it to reduce the sight's intensity. Especially if you're out in the sun for solid lengths of time. Eventually, like you said, this will become less necessary over time and you could remove the tape but it's certainly not going to render the sight useless for quite a long time.

Agreed however, they are over priced. I don't understand the flux in prices on these. This time last year I could find them for $900ish and now the same model is $1150+. Producing less of them perhaps.:dunno:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    That's not really a bad thing though. When new they seem to work a little "too well" in that you'll find yourself taping over it to reduce the sight's intensity. Especially if you're out in the sun for solid lengths of time. Eventually, like you said, this will become less necessary over time and you could remove the tape but it's certainly not going to render the sight useless for quite a long time.

Agreed however, they are over priced. I don't understand the flux in prices on these. This time last year I could find them for $900ish and now the same model is $1150+. Producing less of them perhaps.:dunno:
    My understanding is the tape over is for the fiber optics becoming overwheing in bright light, not the tritium. Is that wrong?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My understanding is the tape over is for the fiber optics becoming overwheing in bright light, not the tritium. Is that wrong?
    Yes, but my line of thinking is that of "wear" on the tritium. I'm not an expert on the material by any means, but it would seem to me that if part of it is not being used (absorbing light), then it's not being "warn down." Thereby possibly negating the half life effects by using more of the tritium available as it becomes "less efficient." Just sort of thinking out loud. Perhaps you can clarify on the material as I'm not that familiar with it specifically? I can't imagine they cycle those items out on a regular basis (10 years), but IDK. I know mine were pretty beat up/old and I still had to put the tape on. :dunno:

EDIT: For clarity I meant "yes" in that what you are saying is accurate if I'm interpreting what you mean correctly. Not, "yes" as in what you said was wrong.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    After a quick little reading it seems the half life is a little over 12 years?!? So, I think it would be reasonable to say it'll reduce in effectiveness by 50% after 12 years, but even at 50% of original it's still adequate. I don't know how old any of mine were, but I would think you could probably reach (2) "half-lives" before rendering the thing less than useful. :dunno: So, perhaps 24 years delivering 25% of its original performance I believe.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    After a quick little reading it seems the half life is a little over 12 years?!? So, I think it would be reasonable to say it'll reduce in effectiveness by 50% after 12 years, but even at 50% of original it's still adequate. I don't know how old any of mine were, but I would think you could probably reach (2) "half-lives" before rendering the thing less than useful. :dunno: So, perhaps 24 years delivering 25% of its original performance I believe.

Correct. It doesn't matter how much you "use" it. Half life is half life.

This is one of the areas where Browe thinks they have developed a better optic. Using the battery allows a much better adjustment for brightness. No tape, you can just use the auto brightness or manually adjust. They also have better glass and a Titanium housing as opposed to Aluminium on the Trijicon. The ACOG is a good optic, but lets remember, it is no spring chicken and technology advances.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Correct. It doesn't matter how much you "use" it. Half life is half life.

This is one of the areas where Browe thinks they have developed a better optic. Using the battery allows a much better adjustment for brightness. No tape, you can just use the auto brightness or manually adjust. They also have better glass and a Titanium housing as opposed to Aluminium on the Trijicon. The ACOG is a good optic, but lets remember, it is no spring chicken and technology advances.

Have you used the Browe? Worth the price?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't own one, but I have used a couple. It is worth the price if that is what you want to spend, and you need something that rugged and high quality. That seems like a weaselly answer, but everyone has a different view of what "worth it" means.
    Yeah, roger that. I really want such an optic, but forking that much out right now isn't gonna happen. Getting it past the ole lady is another story all together too, LOL. She loves guns and shooting, but when prices start getting up there her eyes start going :n00b:

Top Bottom