• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    New in that price range, check out the Ruger SR9 or SR9c. You might even be able to get into an FNP. Lots of people have already mentioned a used Glock 19.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Someone earlier said it best: go to the store and handle some guns to get a feel for them and what feels good in your hands. Learn as much as can about the vast variety of options that come with guns. I also reccomend you take a trip to a gun range that rents pistols and shoot a few BEFORE you make your purchase. As with most of the responses you have gotten I too own a Glock 19 that is my carry gun. I keep a 1911 45 in the rouse and also as a range gun. Joshua

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Someone earlier said it best: go to the store and handle some guns to get a feel for them and what feels good in your hands. Learn as much as can about the vast variety of options that come with guns. I also reccomend you take a trip to a gun range that rents pistols and shoot a few BEFORE you make your purchase. As with most of the responses you have gotten I too own a Glock 19 that is my carry gun. I keep a 1911 45 in the rouse and also as a range gun. Joshua

I like the 1911, but you're not going to find a decent 1911 for $400:D

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I shoot an XD40sc. I love it. If you look around @ the show you can find an XD9 for about 450-475. The most important thing is to get a gun that fits YOU. What I like might or might not fit you. It's got to be your gun....whatever brand and model it is.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Bud's is blowing out the Kahr CW9 for $366, which included shipping. One of the best 9s out there, and nobody is gonna touch that quality for that price.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't think you can go wrong with a used Glock 19. Don't own one but carry a Keltec P11 in an ankle holster or a Bersa Thunder High Capacity when I carry 9mm. Bersa, for the money new under $400 cannot be overlooked.

nirvanacarl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    $400 9mm?

i would just bide your time and save enough money for the gun you want. i just purchased a gen 4 glock 17 and am glad i did. i could have bought a cz 82 for around 250 or a taurus pt111 for around 450. i waited until i could afford the gun i wanted and bought it and after 500 flawless rounds im very pleased. recoil is awesome and it digested all ammo i put thru it including magtech and winchester white box.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You could get a G19, as many others have said before. Frankly, I havent shot or even handled Glocks enough to say one way or another, but they are reliable guns, common that there will be a variety of holsters, and they hold resale value if you decide you dont want it.

I really like my Taurus PT111 Pro, and I payed less than $300 from a member on here. It is a well balanced gun, and I like it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since you mentioned that you are interested in a Taurus 709, and are now thinking about a XD, have you thought about another Taurus product....

The Taurus PT809, it can be bought for 390.00 through Bud's Guns, is an exceptional 9mm that's hammer fired, ambidextrous safety and mag release, plus a decocker.

Now for the really nice part, for I believe 527.00 you can also get the combo that includes the 822 slide so you can convert it to a .22 and lets you shoot inexpensive .22LR's out of it to reduce plinking cost.

I've owned the 809 for a year and a half, and anyone who attended the first two PW shoots (Post Whore) can verify that it performed flawlessly with over 1000 rounds through it those two days. It's got over 4000 through it now and runs like a dream.

Just 3 weeks ago I bought it's big brother the 845.:rockwoot:

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    One important thing to consider is the design of the weapon. You may see a pistol that looks really cool but when you take it to the range, you find that the trigger action isn't desireable. There are alot of these guns with DAO and have long trigger pulls. You may wanna look into something with DA/SA. Much nicer to shoot.

bush13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    I don't think you can go wrong with a used Glock 19. Don't own one but carry a Keltec P11 in an ankle holster or a Bersa Thunder High Capacity when I carry 9mm. Bersa, for the money new under $400 cannot be overlooked.

I have the Bersa 9 Ultra Compact Pro. Good size for carry. Can get the 13 rd magazines or 10 rd. Very accurate. Eats any ammo you run through it. Very reliable. Believe I got it for around $350 NIB with 2 mags from Russ at Ranger Supply. (Good place!) Extra mags are around $40. Can get a very good custom holster for around $75. That would keep you around your 400 range with room for some accessories.

Hope this helps. :welcome:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you can find a Glock 19 for $400 OTD, then get it. If it was my only gun, that would be my choice.

To add another choice to the table, CDNN has Smith and Wesson 5906s for $299. Built like tanks and uber-reliable.

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I picked up my FNP-9 DA/SA at the last Indy 1500 for 400 plus tax NIB with three mags and so far so good it has about 500 rounds through it mostly WWB but some +p+ ranger and some nato +p it also has replaceable slide rails which I will probably never utilize but its a pretty cool feature. I'm not much of a hand gun guy but Glocks just aren't my thing I like to have an exposed hammer and a single action trigger. Oh and its made in the USA which is what I swing for these days anyways.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For around $400, you might want to check out a Bersa 9UC. It's a great gun that's every bit as good quality as any others mentioned here. They come with a lifetime warranty are DA/SA, are ambidextrous, accurate and conceal well. Take down for cleaning is as easy as I've seen on any gun. Check one out and if it fits your hand well, you will love the thing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom