• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Using a marlin lever action as my deer gun here in indiana and have been using the Winchester whitebox stuff as my hunting round based on other recommendations. I haven't been impressed with the results e.g. poor blood trail on well placed shots in the 40-70 yard range. Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have been getting the same results. They are like the "Walking DEAD" deer and all the blood is in the chest cavity and small amounts of blood on the ground. They are all dead running and get about 50 yards before piling up.

Last year opening weekend it was so foggy on sunday morning and down by the creek I was hunting it was fog like pea soup. I shot a nice doe at less than ten yards. Perfect heart shot and big old kick with the back legs. I figured the deer would just drop but no. A few seconds latter I heard it drop dead in the creek so I knew where it was. No real blood trail and all the blood in the chest cavity, Nice pass thru big quarter size hole on exit and 44 cal entrance hole. Dropped dead in 15 to 20 seconds but the lack of the blood trail worried me. I love the accuracy of the WWB so I have been experamenting. Shot placement was perfect in the heart maybe a lower placement would leak out more blood.

I reload but you can get the XTP bullets at the store. Here is a copy of a post i wrote in a non local forum for reloading.

I think the XTP's are going to work well. It opens up the group a little over the JSP's but only a little.1.5 in at 75 yards with the WWB and 2.25 with handloads.

I worked up from 22 grains of h110 to 24 and Jack was right seems 23.5 is a sweet spot. My old reloading manuals say 24.5 as max new ones state 24.

For some fun we shot at an old truck door at the dump at my uncles. The JSP went right through and opened up one the second metal inside just a bit. The XTP's went through both door panels and on the second one it looked as if you could stick a screwdriver handle in the hole. about twice the exit wound size compaired to the JSP's.

That should make a better blood trail. When i opened up the last few deer i have shot with it all the blood from the whole system seemed to be inside the cavity of the chest. Now with a bigger exit hole maybe a little will hit the ground.

Yes a screw drive handle size exit hole should give a better blood trail.

Weird thing is that my father shot the WWB ammo at a little over 100 yards that same sunday afternoon at a larger buck than my doe. It dropped in three steps. He hit it about where I hit mine and once again all the blood in the chest cavity.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Your experience has been exactly like mine. They die but all the blood seems to stay inside. I have had a couple with no blood trail at all. Just had to circle the area to find them.

So still looking for recommendations on a factory round. Should I be looking at a hollowpoint?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have used the Hornady Leverevolution 225gr with great results.

Shot my first deer with this round this year about about 30-40 yards. It went straight through and popped both lungs. Very nice blood trail. The deer made it about 30 yards before it bled out.

Last edited:

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.

Agreed. My son and I have both used this round, since the fall of 2008, and between the two of us have taken 25 deer. The round leaves a great blood trail. My son is shooting a H&R handi rifle and I'm shooting a CVA scout.

Mad Dog

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I am surprised at the problems some have had with the WWB 240 grain JSP. This is my go to ammo and have had great results clear out to 100 yards. Always a pass thru and never lost a deer.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback all. Now as long as I can find something in stock at least a couple months ahead of the season to sight in and test accuracy I'll be good to go

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    folks,
    i loads for multiple 44 mag rifles and pistols 240gr. XTP 24.0 grains of H110 or Win 296 STANDARD primer cases trimmed to min spec with a heavy crimp! i even rotate the round 90 degrees and go in the crimp die again.......i do use 2 seating dies one to seat adjusted with no crimp and one to crimp with seating plug removed.
    On 35+ deer if hit in boiler room they were ALL BANG-FLOPS
    approach this load with caution as it is near max...........

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

This round has never failed in my Marlin 1894.
    I've dropped a minimum of 7 deer with it, and none made it more than about 20 yards. I didn't need a blood trail because I can see them from my elevated stand located on the peak of a hill.

Full disclosure: The longest of these shots were no more than 40 yards, the closest about 15 FEET! :D

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I have been using XTP's in my 10" 44mag contender, 200, 240 and 300 weights. 200's are my favorite but all have worked well 15-70 yards. Started using the 225 pointed Leverevolution in my muzzleloader but no results on game yet. But it does print nice tight groups.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    How can you have quarter size exit holes and no blood? Must be hitting them high. I will second the above posters 240gr xtp load. It is a good one. But I also have great luck with 240gr Keith style which are way cheaper.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    How can you have quarter size exit holes and no blood? Must be hitting them high. I will second the above posters 240gr xtp load. It is a good one. But I also have great luck with 240gr Keith style which are way cheaper.

I wonder that also. They all die real fast and don't get far just not much blood leakage out of the side. All blood seems to stay in the chest cavity. With my old 12 guage you could see the blood pump right out.

muzzlemike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Avon
    my wife and I both have marlins in 44 mag. we use the 240 xtp and they stop them in their tracks. the longest blood trail has been about 10 yards if you can call it tracking.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    A heart shot would probably be the cause of all that blood in the thoracic cavity. If it's destroyed there won't be any pressure to make it spray. A double lung shot would allow the heart to keep pumping 'til it ran dry and you would have more spray since the lungs are well supplied by the circulatory system.

Top Bottom