• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been very pleased with my Marlin 795. Not infinitely customizable like the 10/22 - but its more accurate than I am and relatively inexpensive. I figure I can add some Tech Sights and purchase add'l magazines and be ready for an appleseed - for only a little more than a standard Ruger.

A little more? I was about $100 LESS when I completed my LTR build.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I've been very pleased with my Marlin 795. Not infinitely customizable like the 10/22 - but its more accurate than I am and relatively inexpensive. I figure I can add some Tech Sights and purchase add'l magazines and be ready for an appleseed - for only a little more than a standard Ruger.

yeah, I don't know where you bought it but a Marlin 795 should have cost you about 1/2 of a 10/22. I got my wife one at the usually overpriced Dick's Sporting Goods, and it was only $105.

BTW: Welcome to :ingo:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    yeah, I don't know where you bought it but a Marlin 795 should have cost you about 1/2 of a 10/22. I got my wife one at the usually overpriced Dick's Sporting Goods, and it was only $105.

Actually, I've bought several rifles at Dick's for very good deals, when you catch them on sale. Best deal was a Remington R15 for about $850 out the door, including all the applied discounts. It stickered at $1200 at the time.
    I've also picked up a couple of optics on clearance for really good deals, too.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219

Cheapest I've been seeing them is about $150, plus the $25 rebate from Marlin. None of them have been on sale though, so I may be able to find one a bit cheaper if they pop up in an ad.

I really want to buy one and set it up as an LTR. I keep going back and forth between the 795 and the 10/22, and its really frustrating. I LOVE my Model 60, and that's why I'm leaning towards the 795, but a lot of the triggers are complete crap, and there is no replacements. Granted I did a trigger job on my 60 and it went from like 10lb to about 5lb, but still not like a drop in or anything. Also, the lack of aftermarket stocks has got me going crazy. I am 6'4" so a little carbine stock does not have a good LOP for me, so I'd like to get a new stock for whatever .22 I get. I have a Boyd's thumbhole for my Model 60, which I could convert for the 795, but I'm just torn.

Anyways, I will be sure to post up whatever I end up getting, but that is my thought process on the subject right now.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cheapest I've been seeing them is about $150, plus the $25 rebate from Marlin. None of them have been on sale though, so I may be able to find one a bit cheaper if they pop up in an ad.

snip

Big R has them for about $130 plus the rebate, and I've seen them on sale at Dicks for about $100, so you might want to check them... a brand new really nice .22 for $75 just can't be beat :)

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    A little more? I was about $100 LESS when I completed my LTR build.

Well I broke it down like this:

$100 for 795 from Dicks(w/rebate)
    $40 for 3 additional magazines from CDNN
    $70 for Tech Sights
    $10 for GI sling

So that'll put me at around $220 - 230ish completely outfitted. The best price I had seen lately was $190 for just the 10/22 rifle.

Ok - I just re-read the the last couple of posts: I guess I am agreeing with rimfire...the point I was trying to make is that for the cost of just a 10/22 you can have a full LTR with the 795.

Last edited:

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Bought a S&W 15-22 last year. Thought I wanted an AR style rifle, but later traded it for a Ruger 10-22 Sporter. The Smith was ok, but mine was very pickey as far as ammo, and had several FTF's. The Ruger suited me better as far as a conventional style rifle. Replaced the stock sights with Tech-Sights, and relpaced the factory hammer with a Volquartsen target hammer. The $40 for the hammer was the best thing I did.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Just to throw this out there, I took my wife shooting with her new 795 today and it was super fun.

Spent an entire evening plinking, and even having a distance shoot-off with our friend and his son, and it only cost us about $3 of ammo. The 795 was right on target, until we shot the entire legnth of the yard (approx 100 yards) I couldn't get on paper, but I put more of that on myself than I do the gun, that was the first time I'd tried shooting a .22 from that distance.

:+1: Marlin!!

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If you are wanting accessories the 10-22 is the hands down winner. Since you never said what you are thinking of using the gun for I'll guess squirrel huntingwill be in the mix somewhere. If you are walking through the woods squirrel hunting with an AR look alike you may get more attention than you want.

tdkahn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    NE Indiana
    10/22 for the money best .22 you can buy. reliable, accurate, so many aftermarket parts to choose from, pretty easy on the pocket to get started shooting.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Both the Marlin and Savage are great guns, but I prefer Marlins. I just like the way they handle and feel, but Savages accutrigger are great as well.

My advice is to hold, handle and if possible shoot both to see which one suits you best.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Dicks has a Marlin 795 for a hundred after rebate, and a Savage 64 GXP w/a scope for 150. Any advice? Thanks!

we picked up 795 on this deal for my wife. Bought a $40 3x9 scope for it. She loves it.

I like savage too though, friend's son has one and I shoot that too.

Top Bottom