Berretta Storm, class act or plastic junk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Interesting thread here. I have a HP 995 and a KT S2K 9MM and have had both the Marlin and Ruger carbines in the past. The CX4 is intriguing . Interesting about not being +P capable. Good to know before you buy.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have had my CX4 in 9mm for about 8 years. It has always been very reliable and a great shooter which you'd expect from Beretta and for the money.

I like the fact that it can be set up ambidextrous. I find that 100 yds is about as far as I can shoot it comfortably, but that is good enough. I have mine pretty decked out and have even added a fore grip handle with built-in bipod since the pictures.

I always find that even after I have let it sit in my safe for a while, I am always so pleasantly surprised with the fun I have with it every time I take it out and it reminds me why I own one.

It also field strips easily and is easy to maintain. Mine looks like new after all these years with a few thousand rounds through it probably.

My :twocents:..

picture.php

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Really like mine. Have a couple of hundred rounds through it, since I bought it from another INGOer. Came with the factory hard case. It rides in that on all our long trips. Mounted a dual mag pouch to the stock for quick reloads. Put an AimPoint clone on the top rail. It shoots minute of groundhog at 100 yards. Never had a malfunction.

One key to reliability is using factory Berretta or Mec-gar mags. The previous owner threw in a couple of 20 rnd Promags. They were garbage.

Kollector03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    Really like mine. Have a couple of hundred rounds through it, since I bought it from another INGOer. Came with the factory hard case. It rides in that on all our long trips. Mounted a dual mag pouch to the stock for quick reloads. Put an AimPoint clone on the top rail. It shoots minute of groundhog at 100 yards. Never had a malfunction.

One key to reliability is using factory Berretta or Mec-gar mags. The previous owner threw in a couple of 20 rnd Promags. They were garbage.

+1 on Beretta or MDS mags....all others are problematic at best.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I picked up a Storm Carbine in .45acp this summer. I've only had a chance to run about 100 rounds down the pipe, but no failures. Did most of my plinking at about 30 yards, offhand, open sights. It's seemed pretty accurate. The downside to the .45 is the magazine capacity. (8 rounds). Beretta mags for the .45 are about $30 each. The up side is , I stumbled across a deal on an 8045 Cougar that shares the same magazine. I like the idea of sharing rounds/mags between carbine and pistol.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    cant you get 9 and 10 rounders also for the .45 my buddy just picked up a Px4 in .45 and it came with a 9 and 10 rounder....i know only 1 to 2 rounds better but hey...thats 2 more rounds

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had my CX4 in 9mm for about 8 years. It has always been very reliable and a great shooter which you'd expect from Beretta and for the money.

I like the fact that it can be set up ambidextrous. I find that 100 yds is about as far as I can shoot it comfortably, but that is good enough. I have mine pretty decked out and have even added a fore grip handle with built-in bipod since the pictures.

I always find that even after I have let it sit in my safe for a while, I am always so pleasantly surprised with the fun I have with it every time I take it out and it reminds me why I own one.

It also field strips easily and is easy to maintain. Mine looks like new after all these years with a few thousand rounds through it probably.

My :twocents:..

picture.php

I dig it! :rockwoot: Nice looking setup there :yesway:

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    You know this has got me thinkin, why in the world doesn't Glock build a carbine that takes regular Glock pistol mags? I have seen the kits to turn your pistol in to a carbine, but it doesn't do much for me. However I would think a Glock version of the Storm would sell about like 25 cent cheeseburgers at McDonalds.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The average used price on a CX4 Storm rifle is $500. Mags are cheap and plentiful. Lots of different ways to customize them. The short length is easy to maneuver.

Last edited:

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    Well put DanO. pistol carteidges make nice bleeding holes. Most of the action occurs within 150 meters. CX4 is very accurate and well made. The Kel-Tec seems to be a bit cheap. Although accurate and compact and made to hold Beretta mags I still give the edge to Storm. I own both and I prefer the Storm. And the 92 is my favorite pistol. Interchangable mags, it get any better than that.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The Beretta CX4 Storm rifle is good but you can make it better with internal parts from Beretta CX4 Storm Accessories: UPGRADE PARTS with a lot of information to be found at www.berettaforum.com. I own an older model 9 mm Storm with the understanding of what the rifle can do, easy to break down to clean, have found 20 round magazines, unlike the Hi-Point with only 10 round magazines and feed lip issues. Great to take to the range for cheap fun along with the fact in can be used at indoor ranges with pistol ammo and plenty of accessories to add on.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The Beretta CX4 Storm rifle is good but you can make it better with internal parts from Beretta CX4 Storm Accessories: UPGRADE PARTS with a lot of information to be found at www.berettaforum.com. I own an older model 9 mm Storm with the understanding of what the rifle can do, easy to break down to clean, have found 20 round magazines, unlike the Hi-Point with only 10 round magazines and feed lip issues. Great to take to the range for cheap fun along with the fact in can be used at indoor ranges with pistol ammo and plenty of accessories to add on.
    You can hunt deer with it too!!! I hunt with a 30-06 in MN and won't ever be able to get used to the shotgun thing....

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    You can hunt deer with it too!!! I hunt with a 30-06 in MN and won't ever be able to get used to the shotgun thing....

Did the DNR just change this? There are regs on minimum length of a cartridge, and I believe .357 mag is the minimum handgun cartridge you can use unless they've updated the regs.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Nope, the 9mm, 40 SW, and 45 ACP are not Indiana legal cartridges. However a 300 win mag in a Savage Striker pistol is. A 458 Socom in a AR is. A custom 45 cal smokeless muzzleloader firing a 195 gr Barnes at 2700 FPS is, and a 410 shotgun with slugs is. It sure does make alot of sense......not! ;)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Nope, the 9mm, 40 SW, and 45 ACP are not Indiana legal cartridges. However a 300 win mag in a Savage Striker pistol is. A 458 Socom in a AR is. A custom 45 cal smokeless muzzleloader firing a 195 gr Barnes at 2700 FPS is, and a 410 shotgun with slugs is. It sure does make alot of sense......not! ;)
    Yeah good to know. I would be a lot more comfortable about a kill from a .40S&W carbine than from a .410.

Top Bottom