• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    What is almost 600 foot long(184m it is 11 meters longer than a Typhoon,the now former largest sub) and weights almost 24k tons?
    The just launched Russian Belgorod sub.
    What is a 2M29 Poseidon? An intercontinental nuclear powered autonomous Torpedo with up a 100kt warhead.
    The Belgorod has 6.
    While the specifications remain confidential, experts have stated that Poseidon appears to be a torpedo-shaped robotic mini-submarine, which can travel at speeds of 185 km/h (100 kn). More recent information suggests a top speed of 100 km/h (54 kn), with a range of 10,000 km (5,400 nmi; 6,200 mi) and a depth maximum of 1,000 m (3,300 ft).

The Belgorod is so large it also carries a 70M nuclear powered deep sea sub named Losharik.

It was deemed fully operational just a few days ago,and has now left port.
    subs.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Losharik - Deep Sea Special Mission Submarine

"Deep Sea" - "Special Mission" - "Submarine"

3 different word combinations that I want absolutely no part of used to describe a single device!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This massive investment in underwater rendezvous and mothership capability is interesting. Russia apparently thinks the future is in these distributed operations where one submarine operates and supports several autonomous, deep diving, or long duration submersibles and weapons.

The US has and presumably still has special operations submarines kitted out for deep ocean search and survey. But our only midget nuclear submarine was decommissioned a while back. Far as I know we have nothing which really resembles this. Anything we locate on the seabed, we need surface tended subs to go down and interact with if they're below a thousand feet or so.

The torpedoes are a good first strike weapon but are limited to coastal targets. Hard to really identify a niche use for them that isn't simple unrestricted nuclear war.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The torpedoes are a good first strike weapon but are limited to coastal targets. Hard to really identify a niche use for them that isn't simple unrestricted nuclear war.
    Taking out an in theater fleet group. Ports,shipyards,and coastal cities would probably be the most likely targets though. Even a bit out to sea a nuke that large would make one heck of a wave.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Losharik - Deep Sea Special Mission Submarine

"Deep Sea" - "Special Mission" - "Submarine"

3 different word combinations that I want absolutely no part of used to describe a single device!
    If you read about the Losharik it has the ability to retrieve and lay cable. IE it can tap or cut communications cables.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    World leaders taking trillions from ordinary folks and pissing it away on show and tell to flex on each other. What a pathetic waste of resources.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    It's not the size that matter, it's how you use it...

Also have to wonder, given the corruption in the rest of the Russian military, how this sub fared in the cost cutting and grift department.
    Ah, who needs $100,000 seal, smear some silicon gasket maker on there Yuri, I'll cut you in for 1/2...

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Russia-Belgorod-Submarine-768x340.jpg
    status6.jpg
    The weapon, known officially as Ocean Multipurpose System Status-6, has a range of 10,000km, can descend 1km below sea level, and can reach a top speed faster than 56 knots. It is designed to carry a 100-Megaton nuclear warhead (largest previous nuke was the Tsar Bomba at 50 MT).

According to a BBC translation of the plans, the drone is designed to “destroy important economic installations of the enemy in coastal areas with a 500-meter (1500 ft) tsunami that could contaminate a large section of coastline with radiation, making the area unlivable for up to a century. A single weapon is guaranteed to create devastating damage to a country’s coastal territory, rendering the region unusable for military, economic or other activity for a very long time.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I wouldn't mind living next to him, I'm sure it's a really nice neighborhood. I'm more concerned about the 500 ft radioactive tidal wave.
    The nice thing about a 500ft radioactive tidal wave if you live on the coast is you don't have to worry about the radioactivity.

Top Bottom