Battery powered security camera recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I have Arlo cameras as well and can recommend them. I've used them both in battery powered locations and hardwired. Hardwired is certainly preferred, but battery powered they last several months before you have to recharge per my experience.

glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I started with a few Blink cameras, but they just would not work well so I returned them and went with Eufy. Extremely happy with that decision. The Eufy cameras have been 100% reliable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2022
    Indianapolis
    So it basically takes a 5 second video of an event?

Thanks we are looking into upgrading our system.
    The blink allows you to specify length of video… I know it can go to 60 seconds per clip and believe that it allows you to continue recording as long as there is motion. So far, so good for me; I’ve had them for about two months.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Admittedly this is WAY more than the OP asked about but I've been looking into getting a full set-up from Ubiquiti. https://www.ui.com/

A Dream Machine Pro, some switches, a Network Video Recorder, WiFi access points, and some Power over Ethernet cameras.
    Avoid UI. Overpriced cams, substandard, and SERIOUS supply chain issues.

And I’m a long time certified admin with them.

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have installed lorex, swann & reolink along with commercial system I normally sell. I did purchase a netvue with a solar panel to play( I don't recommend them because of needing a protect plan to get extra features & no color at night) . Hardwired systems are the way to go & they come with 30-100' premade cables with waterproof ends.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    i use a reolink with a solar panel. it's ptz and have yet had to replace the batteries in it yet. the arlo's i have, i hate. the arlos have to connect back to a base station, the blinks back to their unit. the reolink just needs a wireless connection.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    i use a reolink with a solar panel. it's ptz and have yet had to replace the batteries in it yet. the arlo's i have, i hate. the arlos have to connect back to a base station, the blinks back to their unit. the reolink just needs a wireless connection.
    Thanks we are going to look into that. We have a lot of solar powered things already. We have 3 2x3 panels out back to power the fence controller and they produce plenty of power to keep the 12 volt battery up.

At this point we are also wanting to add security cameras to our pasture.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    These are great cameras when in stock and if you don’t want to use anything but there cameras. I use the wireless Ethernet from them but getting hooked into there only infrastructure is a no no for me camera wise.
    These. If you can get them i have a client waiting 8 months now for 10 extra cams. The boat must be in port waiting.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    These are great cameras when in stock and if you don’t want to use anything but there cameras. I use the wireless Ethernet from them but getting hooked into there only infrastructure is a no no for me camera wise.

These. If you can get them i have a client waiting 8 months now for 10 extra cams. The boat must be in port waiting.
    we're having issues getting Ubiquity devices as well, not just cameras.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The biggest problem is UI overcharges for crap cameras. The only camera worth the cost is the G3Flex. (the $75 one that looks like R2D2) All others are outrageously priced for what you get. G3 Bullet for instance is HD (1080p, or 2megapixel) For about the same cost or less you can get a 8mp camera that can be used on any ONVIF compatible NVR.

It used to be somewhat acceptable because yeah, you paid more for the camera, but you could download their NVR software for free and run it on your own custom hardware you already had. So it was a wash. Now they dont support that free software and you now must pay them for the NVR hardware.

And I want to know how a publicly traded company that cant provide most products maintains its stock price. Chicom manipulation?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The biggest problem is UI overcharges for crap cameras. The only camera worth the cost is the G3Flex. (the $75 one that looks like R2D2) All others are outrageously priced for what you get. G3 Bullet for instance is HD (1080p, or 2megapixel) For about the same cost or less you can get a 8mp camera that can be used on any ONVIF compatible NVR.

It used to be somewhat acceptable because yeah, you paid more for the camera, but you could download their NVR software for free and run it on your own custom hardware you already had. So it was a wash. Now they dont support that free software and you now must pay them for the NVR hardware.

And I want to know how a publicly traded company that cant provide most products maintains its stock price. Chicom manipulation?
    Yes I just installed a wireless bridge to a remote pump station and the first half of the bridge arrived months ago and the second last Friday. Thank goodness for cellular fire alarm dialers or they would not have been able to move 8nto the building. since we had all the work done we just had to aim the bridges and install the remote unit in the pump house. Dialed it in called my UI guy for the company and he had the configuration done in like 5 minutes. Routed the network interface off the fire alarm to the proper VLAN on the switch and done. Easy install over all.

Like optics planet they sold what they did not have in stock. They are much more up to date on stock than optics planet who I believe this to be standard practice thus I don’t do business with them. Hopefully it is growing pains on the WiFi and networking side. Near pro gear at about residential cost. That said Cisco is months out on WiFi equipment and extreme is having some difficulty also but demand for extreme products is lower.

it was the gflex cameras 80 dollar cameras we were waiting for, it was the ones the IT guy wanted. I was trying and trying to sell him axis or flir cameras but these fit his budget.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    No cameras , just a trusty Glock 23 & 12ga w/00 buck & locked doors .
    Haven’t had to use them & hope I don’t but sure wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of either if it came to it. :dunno:

Top Bottom