• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So i've noticed that all my AR's are .223, and one says '.223/5.56'. I've done my research, and the two rounds are NOT the same, even though they are extremely similar.

Would it be smarter to just buy a whole new upper reciever with a 5.56 barrel, or would a barrel swap work just fine?

And any recommendations on manufacturers?

Thanks, Gents.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Before I considered spending any money, I'd measure throat length - as most .223 marked barrels are NOT SAAMI 223 chambers.

I'll rechamber to 223 Wylde for $45 + shipping.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So i've noticed that all my AR's are .223, and one says '.223/5.56'. I've done my research, and the two rounds are NOT the same, even though they are extremely similar.

Would it be smarter to just buy a whole new upper reciever with a 5.56 barrel, or would a barrel swap work just fine?

And any recommendations on manufacturers?

Thanks, Gents.

My first question is why not just shoot 223 ammo through your gun?

My second question is what are the configurations of your uppers if they are marked 223?

Most 223 uppers are free floated, heavy barrels, and typically set up for long range prairie dog accuracy or punching tiny groups in paper at long ranges or similar things. Its pretty rare to see a tactical 223 upper but I suspect that during the mad frenzy to buy guns there were probably some of those slapped together.

The 223 Wylde chamber is probably a good alternative for you as it will allow shooting both 223 and 5.56 ammo safely and its generally considered more accurate than a mil-spec 5.56 chamber.

Top Bottom