• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is a way on CHIRP to lock out the TX function. Turn "Duplex" off. It should lock the TX mode out.

Well THAT was flippin easy. SMH. Everything I found online was 5 flavors of convoluted. If rep actually worked right now you'd get lots of it. Thanks! I happened to have my config open still so I turned TX back on and set FRS1 to that and whadda ya know? I couldnt TX on FRS1 but I could on FRS2. (which wasnt set to duplex off)

Gotta love open source documentation/support.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Well THAT was flippin easy. SMH. Everything I found online was 5 flavors of convoluted. If rep actually worked right now you'd get lots of it. Thanks! I happened to have my config open still so I turned TX back on and set FRS1 to that and whadda ya know? I couldnt TX on FRS1 but I could on FRS2. (which wasnt set to duplex off)

Gotta love open source documentation/support.

I ran into the same thing. My computer bit the dust and I haven't used CHIRP since it died. I Googled it and went oh yeah. :ugh: Glad I could help.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you can get an antenna on your roof, attic or even just pulled up into a tree with some paracord you will see a huge increase in your range. And if you need help with programming install teamviewer so much easier to show you vs type explanations.

Completed a test last night sent a message by ham radio to an email server outside of my area, that relayed it to all of my crews email's and text numbers. All on back up power. You can do that with a tech license if you stick to VHF side of it.

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks Sailor! I'm pretty tech savvy and have most of it figured out. My radio is programmed and I've been listening in a bit to the skywarn guys. Im sure studying for the test will fill in those gaps.

And that data trick is slick! Odds are eventually I'll end up getting into that too. (I do high speed PTP WiFi networking for work)

And CSB: Back in the day I used to spend weekends working at the hamfests manning the booth my employer would set up. (selling the brand new fangled CDROM technology.) Really didnt get into the actual RF stuff at that time. Now as part of my prepping and stuff with CERT, etc. (AKA "adulting":):) Im finally seeing a need personally. 25 years is quite the time to go from my first hamfest to finally getting into ham.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks Sailor! I'm pretty tech savvy and have most of it figured out. My radio is programmed and I've been listening in a bit to the skywarn guys. Im sure studying for the test will fill in those gaps.

And that data trick is slick! Odds are eventually I'll end up getting into that too. (I do high speed PTP WiFi networking for work)

And CSB: Back in the day I used to spend weekends working at the hamfests manning the booth my employer would set up. (selling the brand new fangled CDROM technology.) Really didnt get into the actual RF stuff at that time. Now as part of my prepping and stuff with CERT, etc. (AKA "adulting":):) Im finally seeing a need personally. 25 years is quite the time to go from my first hamfest to finally getting into ham.

Nice, you are now the resident high speed mesh network guy!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Just stumbled into this old post. A friend gave me a Baofeng UV-5RA for emergency comms since he lives about 20 miles from me. Wants to set them up just for SHTF.

I looked into getting my tech license years ago, but never followed through. I think I will once work and travel slows down.

Anyway, any advice wouldn’t be turned down.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is that a short wave radio?
    VHF/UHF radio. (2m/70cm)
    Just stumbled into this old post. A friend gave me a Baofeng UV-5RA for emergency comms since he lives about 20 miles from me. Wants to set them up just for SHTF.

I looked into getting my tech license years ago, but never followed through. I think I will once work and travel slows down.

Anyway, any advice wouldn’t be turned down.
    20 miles is going to be a stretch for those things. At least without a repeater. But dont count on one of those still being up if the SHTF.

You will probably want to plan on you both getting your general and invest in some HF radios. Even the 10m band isnt that great close in as I recall. but it can probably be done with the right antennas. You might have to go to 80m band to get reliable comms close in.

Maybe look a GMRS base stations with good antennas up high? a 50 watt base rig might reach. And if you are doing simplex traffic only, you dont NEED a license. Does the FCC say you do? Sure. Is it anything more than them selling us back a right since there there no testing requirements? I say yes. And nobody is going to bat an eye if you are using them simplex (direct radio to radio with no repeaters) if you are just conversing and not causing interference. (unpopular opinion)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was just wondering what kind of radio it was. I have Marine band vhf and a short wave on the sailboat.
    In order for me to use the shortwave, I have to open the book that came with it.

Nothing at home like what you guys are into. Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    GMRS mobiles at 20 miles from 5 watt is doable in flat land like central or northern Indiana. Southern Indiana most likely not. Cities with buildings most likely not also. I have capped at 3 watt handhelds with FRmS and I can get 2 with the FRMS and 5/6 with GMRS in city more in country.

GMRS is 3.50 a year no test to go govern'ment legal. 35 for 10 years.
    Mobile units are capped at 5 watt base or car based units capped at 50 watt. A GMRS base at each location will do 20 miles no repeater.

I do not want to push a maker but start by looking at midland. I think my neighbor got a 40 watt base package 400 ish all inclusive minus battery backup.

Top Bottom