• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I use HST in my 9mm, and 45ACP, FMJ in my 32ACP. No HST in 38Spc. Federal pulled the 130gr Micro a couple years ago. Unfortunately, it was loaded flush, just like a wadcutter, so it wouldn't work in my strips anyway. Did a bit of searching this morning and found Winchester and Remington 158gr SWC. Both advertise 775 FPS. I dearly wish they were required to disclose test-barrel length with the muzzle velocity data. My guess is 6", maybe 4", but certainly not 2".

BTW, I'll be sticking w/Double Tap 148gr WC as my primary - in the cylinder - ammo. It is almost as hot as Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense 148g WC, at 1/2 the price. I've run a box+ of Double tap through my Off Duty, 442, and 856. They all like it just fine. I'll probably never load defensive ammo in my 686+; that is a range gun... only. Way too big and heavy to carry.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use HST in my 9mm, and 45ACP, FMJ in my 32ACP. No HST in 38Spc. Federal pulled the 130gr Micro a couple years ago. Unfortunately, it was loaded flush, just like a wadcutter, so it wouldn't work in my strips anyway. Did a bit of searching this morning and found Winchester and Remington 158gr SWC. Both advertise 775 FPS. I dearly wish they were required to disclose test-barrel length with the muzzle velocity data. My guess is 6", maybe 4", but certainly not 2".

BTW, I'll be sticking w/Double Tap 148gr WC as my primary - in the cylinder - ammo. It is almost as hot as Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense 148g WC, at 1/2 the price. I've run a box+ of Double tap through my Off Duty, 442, and 856. They all like it just fine. I'll probably never load defensive ammo in my 686+; that is a range gun... only. Way too big and heavy to carry.

This is standard pressure. If you're using +p and getting 850fps or higher you'll probably have over penetration.
    148gr Wadcutters with 600-700fps is plenty.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

This is standard pressure. If you're using +p and getting 850fps or higher you'll probably have over penetration.
    148gr Wadcutters with 600-700fps is plenty.

150gr @ 850+ fps out of a 1.9" barrel? That is a bit hot. May very well be standard pressure, but they are loading it right to 17,000 PSI. Same as Buffalo Bore. With the same overpenetration. Put that round in a 6" barrel and you've got decent deer ammo. I'll stick to my ~720fps DT and UD.

BTW, did you see the exit wound on that deer taken w/50 BMG? How the hell did it run ANYWHERE? Of course, in Basic Combat training we were shown videos of NVA regulars taking multiple BMG hits and still being able to return fire... briefly. One of the benefits of heroin?

Top Bottom