• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Personally as an avid backpacker, I pack my BOB like I'd pack a backpack. (with a few adjustments.)
    Order of needs
    1. water and Shelter (Depending on time of year, shelter can be very important.)
    2. Security & First Aid (Might be one on the list if circumstances are right.)
    3. Food. And the ability to produce more water. (Water filter.)
    If your pack ways over 30 lbs you're doing something wrong. Ideally it should be under 20lbs. The pack should be comfortable to wear for what ever the average distance is to get home. In other words, on any given day what's the average distance to home, or the bug out location?
    This is just my two cents worth on subject. Oh and water requirements can very quite a bit. I usually do about 2 to 2 1/2 liters of water.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back roads are in the country and side streets are in the city.

I drove for five years and averaged 100 k a year, 80% of the time I never left the state. So needless to say I know how to navigate. Remember the tornados the swept through Greenwood and Beechgrove about 8 years ago? What would normally be a 10 minute drive ended up taking an hour between roads being blocked from debris and everyone trying to get home. If the shtf everybody and there brother will be trying to get out of town and the city will be grid lock.

Like I said...there are 3 rail heads through here. No tracks on 1, 1 set missing on the other 2 and that is a 4WD hiway outta town Amigo. A short cut to the "Back roads". I am a service tech and drive my tail off as well. I was involved with putting the refrigeration back in order on the schools hit by the tornado you mentioned. It is to ones advantage (Ours) that in our work, we learn all the shortcuts. I can navigate around almost anything.

When you pound the streets in town so much as we do anything 2 lane is a back road.

FishersCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Personally as an avid backpacker, I pack my BOB like I'd pack a backpack. (with a few adjustments.)
    Order of needs
    1. water and Shelter (Depending on time of year, shelter can be very important.)
    2. Security & First Aid (Might be one on the list if circumstances are right.)
    3. Food. And the ability to produce more water. (Water filter.)
    If your pack ways over 30 lbs you're doing something wrong. Ideally it should be under 20lbs. The pack should be comfortable to wear for what ever the average distance is to get home. In other words, on any given day what's the average distance to home, or the bug out location?
    This is just my two cents worth on subject. Oh and water requirements can very quite a bit. I usually do about 2 to 2 1/2 liters of water.

1/4 gallon (1 qt) = .94 liters = 2lbs. therefore 2-1/2 liters = 5-6lbs. That leaves 14-24lbs for remaining equipment. Assuming the BOB supports only 1 person that means that one would have to be really selective on food and equipment. Ammo & mags are heavy not to mention any additional weapons beyond the primary (rifle, shotgun or sidearm). It's amazing how fast it adds up. I have seen many sites that recommend 1gal of water per person per day... that's alone 8lbs per person per day...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1/4 gallon (1 qt) = .94 liters = 2lbs. therefore 2-1/2 liters = 5-6lbs. That leaves 14-24lbs for remaining equipment. Assuming the BOB supports only 1 person that means that one would have to be really selective on food and equipment. Ammo & mags are heavy not to mention any additional weapons beyond the primary (rifle, shotgun or sidearm). It's amazing how fast it adds up. I have seen many sites that recommend 1gal of water per person per day... that's alone 8lbs per person per day...

Is that 1gal a total of liquid consumed as in your food and directly drank or just to drink in total????

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Is that 1gal a total of liquid consumed as in your food and directly drank or just to drink in total????
    For me 2 1/2 liters total for the day. I drink almost two liters the remainder is to rehydrate food and for clean up. Clean up is done with less than 6ozs of water. It can be done, but must be done sparingly.
    I pack enough water for one to maybe 1 1/2 days of water any more than that the pack is getting heavy. I pack a way to filter water.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Yep, that sounds about right. It can be done, but yes you have to be pretty conservative. Shelter is a light nylon tarp. Sleeping bag is less than three lbs. I carry one pistol and a couple of mags. I'm not geared towards an all out riot break down of society. I'm more geared toward car breaks down in the middle of no where and I need to walk back to town.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For me 2 1/2 liters total for the day. I drink almost two liters the remainder is to rehydrate food and for clean up. Clean up is done with less than 6ozs of water. It can be done, but must be done sparingly.
    I pack enough water for one to maybe 1 1/2 days of water any more than that the pack is getting heavy. I pack a way to filter water.

Thanks. I felt the 1 gallon mark was a bit high. Your post is well done.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    FOR THE RECORD I HAVE A BOB, I just found this and thought I would share.

Criticism:

While many preppers or survivalists feel that having a BoB (Bug-out-Bag) on hand is a requirement, others in the survival community feel that having such a bag does little more than provide a false sense of security[11] . Arguments against spending significant resources on creating and maintaining a BoB typically focus on the impractical nature of actually using a BoB for its intended purpose (i.e. to "get out of Dodge") and the fact that the vast majority of preppers have little to no field time with their BoBs. There are prevailing arguments that many bags contain large amounts of heavy gear that would do little more than slow down the survivalist and that most BoBs have never even seen as much as two miles of trail time, let alone days of survival. Unfortunately, water is a key component of survival kits that contributes to their weight. Water weighs 1 kg (2.2 lb) per liter. Many experts recommend you carry up to 4 liters, or about 1 gallon, per person, per day.
    Off-the-shelf Bug-out-Bags can be cost effective and well designed to reduce weight. As with any product whether purchased or self-made, one should use it to ensure that it will hold up in conditions for which it is intended as well as to familiarize one's self with the equipment.

Its food for thought. :dunno:

In regards to the original issue the complaint was about, the lack of "field time" with the equipment in the BOB. Got it, I do understand the point that they are trying to make. Most of us aren't experienced in 3+ day hikes of up to 100 miles trying to get away from or back to our homes. I agree, and while some do train in some ways for extended walks, many dont (myself included, but I know I should). My point, is that though I havn't actually survived off my BOB while roughing it during a 7 day field trial, I have made myself at least knowledged, familiar, and effective with the tools contained in my BOB. But I still feel like I'm as prepared as I can be with the tools at my despense because I've at least worked with each on it's own (and I do revisit each tool, just as I shoot all of my guns) in the course of each year or less. I just havn't put the whole package into trial by making a true 3+ day bug out with my setup (and the family because that's what we're geared for), and hopefully I can do that in the near future. Having younger kids (less than 3yrs) makes actual field trial testing my whole family bug out gear a little more difficult, but should be fun once they're a little older.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Like I said...there are 3 rail heads through here. No tracks on 1, 1 set missing on the other 2 and that is a 4WD hiway outta town Amigo. A short cut to the "Back roads". I am a service tech and drive my tail off as well. I was involved with putting the refrigeration back in order on the schools hit by the tornado you mentioned. It is to ones advantage (Ours) that in our work, we learn all the shortcuts. I can navigate around almost anything.

When you pound the streets in town so much as we do anything 2 lane is a back road.

Just trying to keep you on your toes. You mentioned you service cell towers. Is it true most of them have back up diesel generators?

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    In regards to the original issue the complaint was about, the lack of "field time" with the equipment in the BOB. Got it, I do understand the point that they are trying to make. Most of us aren't experienced in 3+ day hikes of up to 100 miles trying to get away from or back to our homes. I agree, and while some do train in some ways for extended walks, many dont (myself included, but I know I should). My point, is that though I havn't actually survived off my BOB while roughing it during a 7 day field trial, I have made myself at least knowledged, familiar, and effective with the tools contained in my BOB. But I still feel like I'm as prepared as I can be with the tools at my despense because I've at least worked with each on it's own (and I do revisit each tool, just as I shoot all of my guns) in the course of each year or less. I just havn't put the whole package into trial by making a true 3+ day bug out with my setup (and the family because that's what we're geared for), and hopefully I can do that in the near future. Having younger kids (less than 3yrs) makes actual field trial testing my whole family bug out gear a little more difficult, but should be fun once they're a little older.

You don't need to go on 100 mile hike to test your skills. I would suggest an easy over night hike first. There's a big difference between playing survivalist in the back yard versus in the field. Morgan Monroe just south of Martinsville is a good place to practice. They have a ten mile trail that allows overnight camping.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Just trying to keep you on your toes. You mentioned you service cell towers. Is it true most of them have back up diesel generators?

Some but not all.
    And I don't know of any rhyme or reason as to which ones do and don't.
    Whatever a person's opinions are on B.O.Bs, at least people are thinking about that particular what if....
    Even if it is unrealistic, they are thinking at least.

Stay safe

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Some but not all.
    And I don't know of any rhyme or reason as to which ones do and don't.
    Whatever a person's opinions are on B.O.Bs, at least people are thinking about that particular what if....
    Even if it is unrealistic, they are thinking at least.

Stay safe

Unfortunately many people stop thinking at that point.

So they'll put a lot of effort into preparing for unrealistic problems and ignore very likely ones.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While most of us aren't athletes able to carry enough supplies to traverse 100 miles of wasteland, a simple BoB and some basic knowledge plus perseverance will get most of us much farther than you think.

As to how/when to choose to "bug out"; watch the evacuation footage from hurricane country. If you don't want to be around in the aftermath of a disaster, you had better look at what types of warning you may get and think about how soon you want to leave. Those who decide to get out first and beat the rush, will have much better success than those who wait for the disaster to hit. If you decide to wait it out, you would be well advised to prepare to wait it out for a long time, because you may not be able to leave for some time after the disaster, even if you need to leave.

Top Bottom