• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I did a early morning hunt this morning in our woods with my ground blind since it would be warmer than sitting in the stand. Only to find out when I was getting ready to leave that I wouldn't of been able to use my main stand anyways..... someone had attempted to steal it but my cable lock stopped them. They got some of the pins out of the ladder and got the bottom of the ladder out of the ground where it had sunk in, along with unstrapped it from the tree, and took the brace that goes from the ladder to the tree. So currently the bottom of the ladder is off to the side, I guess it was stuck together thankfully, and the rest is hanging up there by just my cable lock. Thank God they didnt' have bolt cutters. I'm going back out this afternoon with a friend to take it down. And will get my other one sometime soon as well, its going to be a bit harder to work with. Needless to say I'm :xmad::xmad: and if I find out who did it, or catch someone down there well they won't like what they are going to see :draw:

This was on family owned private property, only a few people are allowed to hunt it, all close family or friends. And its invisible from the road, hard to see when walking by unless you know where its at.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I also noticed this morning that there someone made a 4wheeler trail back through the woods, entering by way of our woods, and going back into the part of the woods adjacent to ours. Which my stand was right on the line back in that area. There are a bunch of tracks going around in a circle there in the low area just down the hill from where the stand was. And most of them look pretty fresh since I don't remember them being there a couple weeks ago. I'm going to be putting up some more signs that say no tresspassing, and now the thought has even crossed my mind to put some spikes in their 4wheeler trail. ;)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I also noticed this morning that there someone made a 4wheeler trail back through the woods, entering by way of our woods, and going back into the part of the woods adjacent to ours. Which my stand was right on the line back in that area. There are a bunch of tracks going around in a circle there in the low area just down the hill from where the stand was. And most of them look pretty fresh since I don't remember them being there a couple weeks ago. I'm going to be putting up some more signs that say no tresspassing, and now the thought has even crossed my mind to put some spikes in their 4wheeler trail. ;)

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to put up a hidden trial cam, maybe set up some sort of motion sensor that has a mercury switch to activate a small alarm hooked up to a high decibel alarm.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Some people think they own the whole woods of other people's property.Might even be some of them radical PETA people or anti-tree logger's.Be careful-they are dangerous.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Some people think they own the whole woods of other people's property.Might even be some of them radical PETA people or anti-tree logger's.Be careful-they are dangerous.

Oh I know, last year I was hunting out there on the ground at a spot somewhat close to the road to try to catch the deer going from dad's corn to the area on the other side of the road cause he was supposed to come and combine some. Well a couple kids came by on a 4wheeler going down the road and saw my orange mask, I could hear one of them say "look there he is" they turned around, and came flying down the path alongside our field right in front of me. When they came back I met them with my jacket open and my hand on my 357's grip. Told them they were on private property and there was no trespassing, they said they didn't know it was private property? :n00b: Seeing all these tracks I wonder if it was them this time. Or if it was the guy hunting the other side. I noticed both his stands were gone.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Maybe it wouldn't hurt to put up a hidden trial cam, maybe set up some sort of motion sensor that has a mercury switch to activate a small alarm hooked up to a high decibel alarm.

Yeah I've thought about a trail cam. Hard part would be hiding it without someone stealing it as well. Cause think about it, if they are close enough for it to see them and its daylight, then it'll be close enough for them to see it, and would be kinda hard to mount one high and get it to work right.

I am thinking about a surveilance camera with night vision though, run it with a power inverter on a car battery and hide everything real well. A camera that small would be easier to hide and have more range. I'm going to have to do some research and see what I can find.

Claymores would work well too ;)

Oh I know I wish I could get some :D

But since I can't, the spikes are cheap, easier, can deny I knew they were there, and wouldn't kill anybody. I just wanna flatten their tires. :):

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana

Best way to stop people on 4 wheeler trails? Drop a nice big tree over it. We had some people make a trail up a hillside from their deer camp to our property, so we dropped a tree on it. Problem solved. They got the message, we haven't had a lick of trouble since. :D

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Best way to stop people on 4 wheeler trails? Drop a nice big tree over it. We had some people make a trail up a hillside from their deer camp to our property, so we dropped a tree on it. Problem solved. They got the message, we haven't had a lick of trouble since. :D

Sad thing is there are plenty of fallen trees already in the woods, and they just made paths around them. From what I saw yesterday there are at least 2 paths they've made going back there. But just the one entrance ;)

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Agree with Rick. Roofing nails stuck thru a piece of plywood and covered with ground cover does work well. Have had to do it twice in the last 5 years. NOTE TO SELF - just don't forget where you lay it!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I do the nail thing - but I fit roll pins over the nails to deflate the tires faster and safer, in the manner of stop sticks.

I also use strips of traction - what they retread tires with - as I can roll them up and transport them.

As I am on foot, I am not in much danger of running over my own stuff.

Josh <><

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I do the nail thing - but I fit roll pins over the nails to deflate the tires faster and safer, in the manner of stop sticks.

I also use strips of traction - what they retread tires with - as I can roll them up and transport them.

As I am on foot, I am not in much danger of running over my own stuff.

Josh <><

I like that idea! +1 Same here I'm always on foot and don't take that route back to my hunting area anyways. I go along the fieldline so I don't make as much noise, and less thorns to deal with.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My brother in-law called me and said someone swiped his stand down in the Louisville area. They cut his cable locks.

Thats why I won't buy a used stand off craigslist or pawn shop.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    My brother in-law called me and said someone swiped his stand down in the Louisville area. They cut his cable locks.

Thats why I won't buy a used stand off craigslist or pawn shop.

Sounds to me like they were out there just for stealing stands, and were prepared with bolt cutters. I've heard of aholes like that and would give anything to catch someone in the act on my land :bat:

I'm just lucky whoever tried mine wasnt' prepared with that tool. I'd say someone was watching over me ;)

RainRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Nothing worse than a thief in the woods. Anyone who would steal from a fellow hunter is the pits. I have lost a few stands in my day also.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I posted a couple ideas of how to get even with the stand thieves yesterday and now I don't see the post. Could it have been deleted for being a little to severe?

Top Bottom