• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Background: I live in suburbia just outside of Jefferson Co, KY. We've had a few hoodlum children/teens running around in the past summers. My car, which sits outside, has been almost broken into and we've been ding-dong-ditched a few times. During the rather warm fall we had last year my father scared a few kids out of our neighborhood that were jumping fences and followed them while I called the cops from the house.

HOWEVER, tonight, my parents were visiting with family about a mile away and my sister and I were at a friends house, and they got a call from a local cop who's a friend. Said they should head home because there was an attempted break-in.

My parents came home and found out from our neighbor what happened.

Apparently as it got dark a few kids/teens tried to hop our fence. Our neighbors are pretty good about watching out for the others due to the issues we've had before. He called the cops right before or after one kid made it over. Either he yelled at them, or caused a ruckus loud enough to let the kids know that someone was watching and they bolted. Cops showed up, obviously not finding anyone and just wrote it up.

I just got home about 15-20 minutes ago and am a little freaked out. That was the first thing my father told me as we walked in the door and asked me if I had my gun. I told him it was in the safe, but tonight it's sleeping on my bookshelf where I can reach it if need be.

Few questions, and I know being in KY the laws are a bit different... however, how would you handle the situation? What if this happens when my father goes back to work, 3rd shift, and leaves his girls here (that includes me!)? Do I need to call 911 as soon as anything starts happening? Should I attempt to scare them off by yelling, if so what should I say?

I am the only person in my house other than my father that is competent with both guns, and right now I really wish I had a shotgun...

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My thoughts in no particular order:

1. Yes. You should call the police when you believe an unwanted person is trespassing in your yard or trying to enter your house.

2. Make it a habit to wear your firearm all the time.

3. IMO you need a plan for how you will react if something like this happens. Everyone in your house should know the plan. It should probably involve grabbing an easily accessible bag or container with essential items (in no particular order: firearm, phone, medical provisions, flashlight, spare ammo), retreating with everyone in the house to a defensible position, and calling the police to come check it out. Clearly this is just a general idea and you'll have to get more specific. Things will change depending on the time of day and position of people in the house.

4. If you have an alarm, use it. If you don't have one, you should consider it.

5. Consider motion sensor lights that will illuminate the back yard if someone jumps over the fence or moves about around entry points to your house. It will alert you and startle them.

6. Be aware of the use of force laws in your state.

7. Get some training in the use of your firearm for defensive purposes and also in home defense from a reputable trainer.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Forget Caleb...

My thoughts in no particular order:

1. Yes. You should call the police when you believe an unwanted person is trespassing in your yard or trying to enter your house.

2. Make it a habit to wear your firearm all the time.

3. IMO you need a plan for how you will react if something like this happens. Everyone in your house should know the plan. It should probably involve grabbing an easily accessible bag or container with essential items (in no particular order: firearm, phone, medical provisions, flashlight, spare ammo), retreating with everyone in the house to a defensible position, and calling the police to come check it out. Clearly this is just a general idea and you'll have to get more specific. Things will change depending on the time of day and position of people in the house.

4. If you have an alarm, use it. If you don't have one, you should consider it.

5. Consider motion sensor lights that will illuminate the back yard if someone jumps over the fence or moves about around entry points to your house. It will alert you and startle them.

6. Be aware of the use of force laws in your state.

7. Get some training in the use of your firearm for defensive purposes and also in home defense from a reputable trainer.

:+1:

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Shut your "baconhole"

Not sure I've heard it called that before, excellence. I have a mantra started.

1. Yes. You should call the police when you believe an unwanted person is trespassing in your yard or trying to enter your house. 2. Make it a habit to wear your firearm all the time.

1. Planned. Pre-break in so I can be on the phone with them.
    2. That doesn't exactly fly right now, my parents still aren't completely on board. Although after this, hopefully things will change.
    3. Work in progress.
    4. Done. Is armed all the time now.
    5. Have them.
    6. Done.
    7. I'm working on finding a good defensive training class here. Anyone know of anything in KY. I'm checking at a few ranges and so far I haven't come up with anything... could be looking at the wrong things though.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    For training, I don't see any reason why you would HAVE to stay in Kentucky to do it. Should be able to take courses in Indiana just as easily. I could be wrong, though.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am not too familiar with training opportunities in KY. I will do some looking around and post up on this thread if I see anything I think would fit your needs. If you are willing to travel, I could recommend many good trainers.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I don't mind travelling across to Southern Indiana. Much further than that and with gas prices... it'd be a push.

If you can find anything in Southern IN let me know?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    [EDIT: ^^^^ Posted while I was typing. ^^^^^]

If you're in Bullit County, you are near my semi-annual Mecca pilgrimage: Knob Creek (MGS.) Knob Creek Gun Range - I would be shocked if there are not trainers operating there. While you're certainly not limited to KY, you should be able to find quality training in the Louisville Metro area.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    If you're in Bullit County, you are near my semi-annual Mecca pilgrimage: Knob Creek (MGS.) Knob Creek Gun Range - I would be shocked if there are not trainers operating there. While you're certainly not limited to KY, you should be able to find quality training in the Louisville Metro area.

I just checked Knob Creek's website and the only two training's that are offered are the KY CCDW class and a Hunters Education Class.

I'll have to call them and find out if they have any other classes or trainers that operate out of there.

You are near my semi-annual Mecca pilgrimage
    Makes me sad that April has been cancelled.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    1. One thing you may look for is an NRA Personal Protection in the Home course. This will cover shooting as well as a classroom portion on home defense strategies. You can search for courses near you here: NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

To take the Personal Protection in the Home course, you will probably have to take a Basic Pistol course or demonstrate some knowledge and competency. It sounds like you're already a shooter and much of the NRA basic pistol course is pretty basic. You may well be familiar with most of its content. But it may be the pre-requisite to the Home Defense course. Even so, it is not a bad course. Contact the trainer nearest you to see what they can do for you.

2. In Evansville, IN, which is about 2.5 hours from you, there is a guy who puts on a 4 hour home defense seminar, as well as live fire training and SIMS force on force training. He does not do them all in one class. But may be able to do something special for you if you contact him about it. His name is Guy Minnis with Hard Target Firearms Training. HARD TARGET Firearms Training

I have not taken any of his live fire courses so I cannot speak to the specific techniques he teaches. But I have run through some of his FoF scenarios and also sat in on his Home Defense Seminar and both were worthwhile. He has a good attitude and a realistic approach. From what I could tell he seems solid.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Pistol Training Courses – RWI Tactical – Kentucky Firearms Training

Here is a training organization that seems to be based in Louisville. Found them with the Google. I don't know anything else about them. I generally only post about places I have experience with. But I do most of my training in Indiana. I bet someone does, though. Some google searching might yield some AAR's and course reviews.

Also, I really prefer to suggest something specific to the needs of the person. In your case that would be a home defense specific course, or a course that focuses on indoor tactics, movement in structures, scenario based FoF that works the type of scenarios you may encounter, etc.

All that being said, basic firearm operation and manipulations are universal (or should be) and a necessary skill. So it should be part of your training plan. And you need a solid base in that to really move on to and fully benefit from more complex problems presented in the above areas.

Just some thougts on what kind of training to look for, I guess. :-)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Thanks you guys, I'm going to be checking into classes and everything as soon as I can.

It just makes me increasingly nervous for when my father goes back to work. He's been on medical leave for a few weeks and will be going back in around a week. That leaves the three of us girls here alone... Granted we have an alarm system and I will make it a point to set it every night and/or whenever we're gone. It's one of those things we have, but we don't always set it.

I'm honestly glad that whatever was going to happen would have been while no one was here. But it doesn't make me feel any better about someone attempting to break in. :/

Top Bottom